Whoa!

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
bigmoneytx

Whoa!

Post by bigmoneytx »

Flooding opens up sinkholes in Guatemala City

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Flooding- ... temalahole
maddog
President's Circle

Re: Whoa!

Post by maddog »

There was a hole almost that big on Calhoun Street a few years back.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

It took us 4 hours to get from Nashville to Chattanooga (it usually takes 1.5) because a sinkhole opened in both lanes of I-24
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

That looks SOOOOO photoshopped. But the rest of the photos linked on the story seem to justify it as real!
bigmoneytx

Post by bigmoneytx »

I was thinking the same thing on that particular photo Pete - but the other ones at least confirm the others. That one above looks unreal - too much so
DetWave
Navigator Level

Post by DetWave »

See what happens when you try to divide by zero?
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

The news last night had aerial video footage of it--it's real, alright.

They said it's 100 feet deep, but it looked like it went on for miles! A 3-story building (actually, I suspect it was just a 3-story part of a building, judging from what remains), completely disappeared (the hole is too deep to see any debris at the bottom).

It looked to me that there is a huge cavern about 100 feet down, and that everything fell into that. I wasn't trained as a Civil Engineer, so I never took any soil mechanics courses, but I found it fascinating that the hole is an almost perfect cylinder--almost as if it were drilled down into the earth by a 66-foot boring machine.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Roller wrote:The news last night had aerial video footage of it--it's real, alright.

They said it's 100 feet deep, but it looked like it went on for miles! A 3-story building (actually, I suspect it was just a 3-story part of a building, judging from what remains), completely disappeared (the hole is too deep to see any debris at the bottom).

It looked to me that there is a huge cavern about 100 feet down, and that everything fell into that. I wasn't trained as a Civil Engineer, so I never took any soil mechanics courses, but I found it fascinating that the hole is an almost perfect cylinder--almost as if it were drilled down into the earth by a 66-foot boring machine.

I'm a civil engineer and there is a logical explanation for this phenomena. you see, several thousand years ago the Predators came to Earth and taught humans how to build pyramids. in return, humans were sacfrificed in order to become hosts for the alien offspring. The predators would then hunt down the aliens as a rite of passage to become warriors. However, some of these ancient pyramids have been hidden by changes in terrain or construction of modern cities. Hence the predators using a laser boring system to create a passage way to the pyramid. It is this mechanism that created the nearly perfect cylinder, which means the Predators will be arriving shortly in order to prove themselves in combat against the aliens.

All of these facts can be backed up by watching the movie Alien vs. Predator
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

:lol:
So you're telling me that the Silver Surfer had nothing to do with it?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I like DetWave's explanation better. ;)

Or, maybe it was created because {insert name of country on the opposite side of the globe} sucks. :lol:
maddog
President's Circle

Post by maddog »

Not being an engineer, I cant...er I cannot understand any of this.