Star Wars, still on people's minds

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Star Wars, still on people's minds

Post by PeteRasche »

Gretna, you beat me to it. I love that.

As a side note, I propose we start a new thread for the new movie discussion on the 17th, separate from this thread....
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote:yes, they should rightfully expect to beat Avengers and challenge Dances With Wolves - Blue Alien Version (Avatar) at the box office, but you have to remember there is an entire new generation of movie goers who did not see the first six. Gotta hype them up, too.
I think their parents and even grandparents will be taking them to the theater, whether there are endless commercials and hype or not (and whether they like it or not). 8)
Johnny Mac wrote:You also have to bring back into the fold the nut balls who are still butthurt over Jar Jar, emo Anakin, and dying from a broken heart.. and even more who never got over the Ewoks bringing down the empire.
I dunno... the minute it was announced that Lucas was out and that JJ Abrams was taking over, they probably got over that hurt. :mrgreen:

It will be really interesting to see the first weekend numbers. I did not realize it (didn't hear it in the media), but Jurassic World actually beat Avengers for the biggest opening weekend (by a scant $1.4 million, a 0.6% margin). I expect Star Wars will blow away those movies for biggest opening weekend ever. Jurassic World was $208M... waddaya think for TFA? I bet it exceeds $300M, but we might even be talking $500M? I don't ever remember movies having presale for more than a couple of days out; Star Wars tickets went on sale two months ahead. With more and more theaters going to "reserved seating", theaters know the numbers to expect and are pretty much going to put it on every screen in the place if necessary. The theaters around here are opening 3-4 hours earlier than normal, some even have 8:30 am matinees that weekend just for TFA.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote:Gretna, you beat me to it. I love that.
that one is by far the best of Robot Chicken, but the one I posted was appropriate for the topic of butthurt Star Wars fans

what the he77 is an aluminum falcon?

Other than Ted, the only other time Seth McFarlane has made me laugh.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I got a REALLY big chuckle out of this.

It also reminds me of a lesson taught by Ken Burns that *might* prove true for Star Wars. A lesson in how a repetition of the same type of filmmaking and storytelling can very quickly become cliche, predictable, and boring. The Civil War was an audacious, revolutionary, and interesting film---even if you don't give a fig about Civil War history (even moreso if you do). By baseball it was ok, but a bit self indulgent. By Jazz, it was so predictable and self indulgent that it was only watchable if you really liked Jazz (luckily I do). By the time he got to World War II, you didn't need to watch. You'd already seen the movie. It was called the Civil War.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

In line
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote:In line
I have heard mixed things...
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Poseidon wrote:
Critics almost entirely love it (94% on Rotten Tomatoes) but they also love the fact it's supposedly completely different than the previous stuff and "turns everything you know on its head". Spoiler-free reviews from Star Wars geeks I've seen are very... measured-good. Like, almost like they recognize it's a great movie but don't love it and are afraid to say anything bad for fear of being blasted by fanboys. Seeing it Tuesday for sure but hoping to see it sooner.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

At best it's tied for fifth on my list maybe sixth of Star Wars movies. Too much corny humor and random references to characters from other movies.
#cousins don't count
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

PeteRasche wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Critics almost entirely love it (94% on Rotten Tomatoes) but they also love the fact it's supposedly completely different than the previous stuff and "turns everything you know on its head". Spoiler-free reviews from Star Wars geeks I've seen are very... measured-good. Like, almost like they recognize it's a great movie but don't love it and are afraid to say anything bad for fear of being blasted by fanboys. Seeing it Tuesday for sure but hoping to see it sooner.
Hmmm....Audiences are at 56%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_w ... _last_jedi
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:At best it's tied for fifth on my list maybe sixth of Star Wars movies. Too much corny humor and random references to characters from other movies.
Did you see Thor: Ragnarok, or, as it should have been called, "Marvel makes a comedy which happens to involve superheroes"?
(I enjoyed it greatly but it certainly was silly)
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:At best it's tied for fifth on my list maybe sixth of Star Wars movies. Too much corny humor and random references to characters from other movies.
Did you see Thor: Ragnarok, or, as it should have been called, "Marvel makes a comedy which happens to involve superheroes"?
Ia that the second one? If so yes. Guardians was better.
#cousins don't count
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

The trailer for Infinity War showed GOTG playing a role. Not sure what to think of that.

TLJ is fine - not the best, but entertaining enough. Nothing can ever top A New Hope and ESB for those who grew up with that. I put this one on par with ROTJ and the Force Awakens (which I thought was good). I think many of the younger generation are putting this one up higher as they did not grow up with originals.
Bring home da Wave!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
No, it's the most recent one which is still in some theaters. C'mon, man! 8)
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
No, it's the most recent one which is still in some theaters. C'mon, man! 8)
Then no
#cousins don't count
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
I definitely would not call it completely different than the other SW movies...to the point where it was almost derivative. Still good overall, though.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
I definitely would not call it completely different than the other SW movies...to the point where it was almost derivative. Still good overall, though.
I finally saw it . The new content is decent, but they have no fidelity to the character of the characters from the original trilogy(TOT) or rules of the star wars universe as established by previous entries. Luke's character in The last Jedi(TLJ) was not Luke character from the end of TOT. I won't spoil, but over the course of TOT Luke grows and developes. In the TLJ an unrecognizaeable very different Luke is portrayed. So different that a reasonable person should find it inescapably confounding.

In the end the movie fails for me because it depends on familiarity with the whole SW saga yet bends, breaks, and mutates the characters and rules of the SW world while telling a story we have pretty much seen. I would still give it a 6/10 because it is entertaining and enjoyable at times. However, when you consider they had unlimited budget and other resources at their disposal a 6/10 is a failure. This is what it feels like when your Ohio State and your a preseason No. 1 and you end up in the Quick Lane Bowl playing Central Michigan. While not a losing season, it reasonable to consider it's a lost season.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Poseidon wrote:I finally saw it . The new content is decent, but they have no fidelity to the character of the characters from the original trilogy(TOT) or rules of the star wars universe as established by previous entries. Luke's character in The last Jedi(TLJ) was not Luke character from the end of TOT. I won't spoil, but over the course of TOT Luke grows and developes. In the TLJ an unrecognizaeable very different Luke is portrayed. So different that a reasonable person should find it inescapably confounding.

In the end the movie fails for me because it depends on familiarity with the whole SW saga yet bends, breaks, and mutates the characters and rules of the SW world while telling a story we have pretty much seen. I would still give it a 6/10 because it is entertaining and enjoyable at times. However, when you consider they had unlimited budget and other resources at their disposal a 6/10 is a failure. This is what it feels like when your Ohio State and your a preseason No. 1 and you end up in the Quick Lane Bowl playing Central Michigan. While not a losing season, it reasonable to consider it's a lost season.
There is an interview with Rian Johnson (director) where he explains a lot of this. I won't post the link because it contains a lot of spoilers that people shouldn't see if they haven't seen the movie. But basically he says that all of the stuff about "taking things new directions" and "stuff they could do that they didn't before" (i.e., your "bending and breaking" that ruined it for you) was all discussed VERY thoroughly with people who have major roles in the entire canon (writers of the books, writers of the TV series, etc.) to make sure no one would be "offended" by it. They all were in full agreement that it was fine with respect to what has been done before. The justification was that in every one of the TOT (and even prequels), that exact same stuff happened. New things done, new abilities, new personal traits, "bending and breaking", etc. We just idealize and forget that it happened quite a bit in TOT; it was all so new that it wasn't questioned then. Now every single nuance of every microsecond is overanalyzed to death in the world we live in, and we have had four decades to have "set in stone" in our heads how everything "should" be. Really, we don't know.

Force-related stuff aside, a perfect example that's not a spoiler: Star Wars - ALL of them - has never given any logical credence to space being a freezing vacuum... except when it's convenient. In one scene a window will blow out and someone will get sucked out to die; in the next scene, the massive, gaping open dock of the Death Star (or second Death Star, or Starkiller base, or Star Destroyer, or whatever) is shown sitting wide open, with ships coming in and out, and people in the bay going about as if it were normal atmosphere. There isn't even any addressing of there being some sort of "field" or shield around it (which is what you'd assume as being the reason it's "okay"). In other words, it's just something you have to ignore.

There were parts of it I said "come on..." (if you've seen it, you know at least one specific scene that I'm thinking of... and everyone thinks the same thing), but overall I enjoyed it. I went with a bunch of co-workers, several of whom had seen it previously, and every single one of them who'd seen it previously said they enjoyed it and got much more out of it the second time. So I'm probably going to see it again.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I liked it... It was much better than the force awakens as that was really just jj Abrams ripping off pieces of TOT. I didn't go in with any expectations.

Btw Pete, I felt ragnarok was equally as funny as gotg 1.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote:I felt ragnarok was equally as funny as gotg 1.
Oh, probably more so. But it was very purposely trying to be. GOTG is funny because that's the characters' personalities. Ragnarok took often-serious characters and decided to put them in a comedy. It worked astoundingly well.

The comedy in the new Star Wars, while used probably no more frequently or infrequently than in previous installments, was (IMO) much funnier than in any previous. I'd love to cite examples, but... spoilers...
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Johnny Mac wrote:I liked it... It was much better than the force awakens as that was really just jj Abrams ripping off pieces of TOT. I didn't go in with any expectations.

Pink? Seriously you think the Force Awkens rippes stuff off and this one didn't? You have got to be frick kidding me.
#cousins don't count
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:I felt ragnarok was equally as funny as gotg 1.
Oh, probably more so. But it was very purposely trying to be. GOTG is funny because that's the characters' personalities. Ragnarok took often-serious characters and decided to put them in a comedy. It worked astoundingly well.

The comedy in the new Star Wars, while used probably no more frequently or infrequently than in previous installments, was (IMO) much funnier than in any previous. I'd love to cite examples, but... spoilers...
Well to not use spoilers, the comedy in this one wasn't using annoying characters being annoying .. I.e. C3po, jar jar, ewoks.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:I liked it... It was much better than the force awakens as that was really just jj Abrams ripping off pieces of TOT. I didn't go in with any expectations.

Pink? Seriously you think the Force Awkens rippes stuff off and this one didn't? You have got to be frick kidding me.
There were a few concept rip offs in this one but not even remotely close to Force Awakens. Force Awakens was practically a reboot of New Hope.