Star Wars, still on people's minds

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
windywave
Emerald Circle

Star Wars, still on people's minds

Post by windywave »

Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Roller
Cornerstone

Re: Star Wars, still on people's minds

Post by Roller »

[quote="windywave"]How much the Death star would cost

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/ ... -rotator-1

However, by my calculations, it's about $2 trillion in today's dollars...Heck, we go that much into debt nearly every day.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Roller wrote:
windywave wrote:How much the Death star would cost

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/ ... -rotator-1

However, by my calculations, it's about $2 trillion in today's dollars...Heck, we go that much into debt nearly every day.
How do you figure . . .BYW if we could build the DS for 2T dollars I would so be in favor of that!
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:...if we could build the DS for 2T dollars I would so be in favor of that!
Where would you put it? :lol:

(reminds me of an old Stephen Wright joke)
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:...if we could build the DS for 2T dollars I would so be in favor of that!
Where would you put it? :lol:

(reminds me of an old Stephen Wright joke)
I would put it out beyond the asteroid belt between Earth and Mars.
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

http://io9.com/5887444/the-secret-story ... socialflow

Just proving the point that "It's a trap!"
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/modest-pr ... death-star

(if you're super sensitive that link may have a political twinge, but it's more a statement against Keynesian economics than politics but funny as he!!)
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Why don't we just build a slightly smaller version for, I dunno, 1 quadrillion?

So I guess all the construction workers have to wear spacesuits until the thing is sealed up and has an "atmosphere", right? I wonder if the college students included the cost of that (not to mention training, the liability insurance that would be required to have everyone working in space suits (where a small tear would likely kill you), etc.

I always wondered - in Star Wars, there's the big, open dock doors where ships come and go... how is that happening? Does the Death Star have its own artificial atmosphere that extends beyond the exterior walls? And in the famous scene where they fire up the big gun to destroy Alderaan, there are a couple of guys standing out on a ledge by the gun - how are they breathing?
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

PeteRasche wrote:Why don't we just build a slightly smaller version for, I dunno, 1 quadrillion?

So I guess all the construction workers have to wear spacesuits until the thing is sealed up and has an "atmosphere", right? I wonder if the college students included the cost of that (not to mention training, the liability insurance that would be required to have everyone working in space suits (where a small tear would likely kill you), etc.

I always wondered - in Star Wars, there's the big, open dock doors where ships come and go... how is that happening? Does the Death Star have its own artificial atmosphere that extends beyond the exterior walls? And in the famous scene where they fire up the big gun to destroy Alderaan, there are a couple of guys standing out on a ledge by the gun - how are they breathing?
Unfortunately, the unions will get involved, requiring only certain groups to work at the site. Additionally, the government inspectors will cause immense delays. OSHA requirements will have to be met. Permits, environmental impact statements, modifications in design for ADA guidelines will cause the process to be far more drawn out. Since it it a government project it will take twice as long (if not three times or more), will cost at least four times as much as expected, and will be outdated the moment it opens.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

AO Sig wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Why don't we just build a slightly smaller version for, I dunno, 1 quadrillion?

Unfortunately, the unions will get involved, requiring only certain groups to work at the site. Additionally, the government inspectors will cause immense delays. OSHA requirements will have to be met. Permits, environmental impact statements, modifications in design for ADA guidelines will cause the process to be far more drawn out. Since it it a government project it will take twice as long (if not three times or more), will cost at least four times as much as expected, and will be outdated the moment it opens.
A. If you're the galatic EMPEROR, details like unions become very mild. Just have Vader do a few force chokes and that's that.

B. Even if you're doing it on your own, you would be building it in space...where no government has jurisdiction to enforce any laws whatsoever, and no one has a place to sue you.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Kevin Drum weighs in on how cost effective the Death Star would be for the Empire:

http://motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2012/ ... ons-system

And yes, there is a website out there called Death Star PR:

http://deathstarpr.com/
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

GretnaGrn wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

A. If you're the galatic EMPEROR, details like unions become very mild. Just have Vader do a few force chokes and that's that.

B. Even if you're doing it on your own, you would be building it in space...where no government has jurisdiction to enforce any laws whatsoever, and no one has a place to sue you.
It doesn't matter where you're building it, though. If an American company uses American citizens to build a Death Star out in space, and something happens, those citizens will still be able to sue the company for damages.

This is why they'll probably use undocumented workers to build it, which would drastically reduce costs.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Sophandros wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

It doesn't matter where you're building it, though. If an American company uses American citizens to build a Death Star out in space, and something happens, those citizens will still be able to sue the company for damages.

This is why they'll probably use undocumented workers to build it, which would drastically reduce costs.
Exactly. Why would you do it as an American company? Deathstar unlimited is a LLC based in the Sealand. I would doubt that any American citizens would be used.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Alright, enough already. You all knew we were heading to this clip. So let's get it over with and just post it....

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

http://boingboing.net/2012/03/14/office ... ur-ri.html

or is this more of the robocop ilk?
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

My link's still the only one that has to do with the implications of actually building a Death Star. :lol:
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:My link's still the only one that has to do with the implications of actually building a Death Star. :lol:
That is a subset this thread . . . .The main thrust is how star wars still permeates society.
#cousins don't count
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Enjoying the "Why does dad get so mad about Star Wars" song played on XMs Kids Place Live. :-D
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/unplugged/ ... 10505.html
But we're willing to bet you don't have this: An 8' x 8' x 8' replica TIE fighter, big enough to sit inside and pilot.

The seller is only asking $150, which is a pretty good price when you consider this beast features laser cannons that "are set to fire standard party poppers."
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

http://www.news10.net/news/local/articl ... hpt=ju_bn6
Obiwan Kenobi was arrested during the weekend in connection to a hit and run crash that lead to a 4-car pileup in mid-March.

The 37-year-old, who has the same name as the Jedi master from the Star Wars movies, was arrested at his Roseville home on April 21, Roseville police Sgt. Jason Bosworth said.

Over under he doesn't have a girlfriend?
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

http://thechive.com/2012/04/23/a-few-ra ... 43-photos/

I admit it is on my mind this morning especially after looking at these on set pics.
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/unplugged/ ... 25668.html

Did I mention the legos part of the star wars obsession?
#cousins don't count
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

windywave wrote:http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/unplugged/ ... 25668.html

Did I mention the legos part of the star wars obsession?
thats pretty sweet