New Terminal for Louis Armstrong N.O.International Airport

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

New Terminal for Louis Armstrong N.O.International Airport

Post by TU77CAL82 »

City unveils new design for airport overhaul
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/ho ... design-for

Our company is on the design team. It looks like this really might happen.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: New Terminal for Louis Armstrong N.O.International Airpo

Post by PeteRasche »

It's about time. I have always wondered why a city that is known for tourism has such a small, outdated airport. And I've been to much smaller, less-touristy cities that have had nice upgrades to their airports recently.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

What is strange about this is that in January of '12 I flew out of the D terminal. In April, I flew out of the same gate in the same terminal (at the far end of the terminal) and they had made some renovations to that area from the time I had flown out in January. Are those renovations gonna go bye-bye after such a short time?

FS'54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
Kingbird87
Trainer

Post by Kingbird87 »

Great News! As an airline pilot, I still check in with the tower as "Moisant Field" and the terminal hasn't changed since my freshman year, 75'. I don't fly domestic routes anymore, but will look forward to seeing it on visits. More importantly, who will win the new food concessions? It used to have some great local flavor, now a Sonic has replaced the old cafe, not that there is anything wrong with Sonic!
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Kingbird87 wrote:Great News! As an airline pilot, I still check in with the tower as "Moisant Field" and the terminal hasn't changed since my freshman year, 75'. I don't fly domestic routes anymore, but will look forward to seeing it on visits. More importantly, who will win the new food concessions? It used to have some great local flavor, now a Sonic has replaced the old cafe, not that there is anything wrong with Sonic!
I kinda liked the old "3rd World" feel of the place. But like the rest of New Orleans... Oh, well, I guess I prefer not landing on grass strips, at least.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Roller wrote:
Kingbird87 wrote:Great News! As an airline pilot, I still check in with the tower as "Moisant Field" and the terminal hasn't changed since my freshman year, 75'. I don't fly domestic routes anymore, but will look forward to seeing it on visits. More importantly, who will win the new food concessions? It used to have some great local flavor, now a Sonic has replaced the old cafe, not that there is anything wrong with Sonic!
I kinda liked the old "3rd World" feel of the place. But like the rest of New Orleans... Oh, well, I guess I prefer not landing on grass strips, at least.
Third world is a tad of hyperbole. . . .
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

windywave wrote:Third world is a tad of hyperbole. . . .
I use hyperbole at least a million times every day when discussing the amazing insights of the people who inhabit this board, which happens to be the the most popular board on the entire Internet!

But you're just a whippersnapper. When I was young, I had friends from all over South and Central America who told me that they had cites back home that were more modern than New Orleans. It was charming.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Roller wrote:
windywave wrote:Third world is a tad of hyperbole. . . .
I use hyperbole at least a million times every day when discussing the amazing insights of the people who inhabit this board, which happens to be the the most popular board on the entire Internet!

But you're just a whippersnapper. When I was young, I had friends from all over South and Central America who told me that they had cites back home that were more modern than New Orleans. It was charming.
You've got you green colored glasses on again Roller.

FS'54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Heck, when I was studying in Mexico the terminals in Guadalajara and Mexico City were new, pretty and better than NOLA at that time; unfortunately, Moissant hasn't changed since then...
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
JDTulane
President's Circle

Post by JDTulane »

Wtb speed rail to fq, pst
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

This is nice but I'd prefer high speed rail to Houston

NOLA is still a main entry to South America, but we mostly lost the Caribbean to Miami decades ago, I don't really see it coming back even with renovations. But you never know. We are one of only 2 us cities with direct flights to Cuba and we just regained direct flights to Jamaica ( I'm not sure if it's Montego Bay or Kingston )
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:This is nice but I'd prefer high speed rail to Houston
Yeah that ain't happening. . . .I love trains in Europe, but ain't happening here dude (which is a shame, but reality).
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

windywave wrote:
Yeah that ain't happening. . . .I love trains in Europe, but ain't happening here dude (which is a shame, but reality).
Agreed. Except it will happen here eventually. It'll just happen here 50 years after it would have been most financially useful.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
'03Greenie
President's Circle

Post by '03Greenie »

WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:
Agreed. Except it will happen here eventually. It'll just happen here 50 years after it would have been most financially useful.
Not while the automobile is an accessible alternative. At least not in the great majority of the country. To make it economically feasible, you need large cities in relative close proximity so that a line can travel to multiple cities on one run. It's also better if a significant number of people in those cities do not rely on car ownership. This pretty much limits it to the Washington to Boston route and maybe a couple other discrete routes. California? Florida?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Southwest Airlines used to have a nice line where they'd go Indianapolis-Louisville-Nashville-Birmingham-New Orleans-Houston. A train route on that line would make me very happy. Unfortunately, all of those cities are A) too small, and B) too far apart (relatively) for something like that to even be remotely considered. Even if you added Chicago at the top end above Indy.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Well folks, it's going to happen. The Aviation Board gave approval today to proceed with construction. I think that the new facility will be very nice, but it was an absolutely miserable design job to work on.

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Congrats?!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Yes, congrats! I always thought flying into Moisant felt a little like a set from Mad Men and I would probably miss that a little but time (and passenger preference) marches on.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Presume this is in addition to the existing facilities, or a replacement ... ?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

It's a shame because the current airport suites me just fine, and this is a lot of $$ that could go a lot of other places. But we can't compete to be even a mini hub for a lot of the routes that we used to be a hub for unless we build the next new thing, so it's kind of a necessity. It is what it is. And least we didn't tear down Yankee Stadium to build a stadium exactly like it only with more luxury boxes :roll:
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

sr wrote:Presume this is in addition to the existing facilities, or a replacement ... ?
Replacement . . . to be built on the north side of the east-west runway. Primary access will be from the Loyola Drive exit off I-10 in Kenner.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

TU77CAL82 wrote:
sr wrote:Presume this is in addition to the existing facilities, or a replacement ... ?
Replacement . . . to be built on the north side of the east-west runway. Primary access will be from the Loyola Drive exit off I-10 in Kenner.
Isn't it swampy over there or am I turned around?
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

'03Greenie wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:
Not while the automobile is an accessible alternative. At least not in the great majority of the country. To make it economically feasible, you need large cities in relative close proximity so that a line can travel to multiple cities on one run. It's also better if a significant number of people in those cities do not rely on car ownership. This pretty much limits it to the Washington to Boston route and maybe a couple other discrete routes. California? Florida?
I built four bridges in the NE Charlotte/Harrisburg area last year to support the high speed rail between Charlotte and Raleigh. Comically enough the ncdot had no idea when the high speed rail would actually be built
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

sr wrote:Isn't it swampy over there or am I turned around?
Maybe this will help:
WaveProf wrote:It's a shame because the current airport suites me just fine, and this is a lot of $$ that could go a lot of other places. But we can't compete to be even a mini hub for a lot of the routes that we used to be a hub for unless we build the next new thing, so it's kind of a necessity. It is what it is. And least we didn't tear down Yankee Stadium to build a stadium exactly like it only with more luxury boxes :roll:
The current terminal is very inefficient operationally and a lot of its infrastructure is so old that there are no replacement parts available for some critical equipment. One of the main purposes for building the new terminal is to reduce landing fees, so that airlines will be more likely to add more flights to the City. The project is being funded mostly by the sale of bonds that are being guaranteed by the airlines. Some amount of funding will be coming from the FAA and the state. Those funds can only be used for airport work. There is no money involved that could be used elsewhere.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Is it 2 concourses with room for a third?

I heard a rumor a while back that a direct flight to London was in the works. No idea if that's true, but it would be awesome.