Basque country, Spain

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
Roller
Cornerstone

Re: Basque country, Spain

Post by Roller »

WaveProf wrote:
JDTulane wrote:Basque Country <3 Food <3

WINE <3<3<3 TXOKOLINA YUMBO
I'm completely confused by this post. Given your Idaho background and your professed love for Basque culture, I'll assume it's a positive post. But I'm truly stumped. Am I that old? :shock: #kidslingothesedays :mrgreen:
Prof, in many Internet formats (like FB, for instance), typing <3 prints a heart. Much like colon/close parenthesis on here gives you :).
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

One final observation in Basque Country and in particular, Bilbao.

Dogs. They seem to be even more part of people's lives than in the pet crazy U.S. or the UK. Here we were in a fairly sizeable city and we observed all manner of dogs, from small terriers up through Bernease mountain dogs, walking in the city with their people but never on a leash. Always stayed within a few feet of their people, incredibly well behaved, non-plussed by traffic or noise or other dogs, waiting at the traffic crosswalks with their people. At first I thought it was an anomaly but after a couple of days I saw it everywhere. Merchants and pinxtos bars have water dishes on sidewalks. When their people go inside stores, the dogs wait patiently outside.

So, along with incredibly well behaved children in the Basque Country, the dogs are too. We must be doing something wrong. 8)
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
JDTulane
President's Circle

Post by JDTulane »

Txakolina**** and yes, my words were in support :D
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Who knew that Arizona is a basque word? It means "good oak" or "lone oak" ( can't remember which)
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

WaveProf wrote:Who knew that Arizona is a basque word? It means "good oak" or "lone oak" ( can't remember which)
I'm learning stuff here. It sure sounded Spanish to me. 8)
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

WaveProf wrote:Who knew that Arizona is a basque word? It means "good oak" or "lone oak" ( can't remember which)
Wow, my own amateur etymology was way off! I had it pegged as "dry place," as in "Ari-" for "arid" and "-zona" for "zone."
:mrgreen:
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Just checked Wikipedia. There is controversy if it comes from basque for good oak or from Spanish for small spring But the consensus is that it is a common fallacy that it comes from Spanish for arid zone

A large contingency from the original new Spain explorers were basque (ie tupf's ancestor) hence the connection
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Did you know that when Magellan died on his circumnavigation his second in command took over. The man was truly the first to circumnavigate. He was Basque from Getaria.

There is some indication Basque cod fisherman may also have beat the Vikings to North America but no one is sure
Last edited by WaveProf on Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

WaveProf wrote:Did you know that when Marco Polo died on his circumnavigation his second in command took over. The man was truly the first to circumnavigate. He was Basque from Getaria.

There is some indication Basque cod fisherman may also have beat the Vikings to North America but no one is sure
Marco attempted a circumnavigation?!? I didn't realize he was a mariner.

Presumably before Magellan? Magellan's voyage was completed by Juan Sebastián Elcano, who (coincidentally?) was also from Getaria. :P
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Roller. Sorry. Been a LONG day. Got my explorers backwards.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Getaria was a nice place!
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

TUPF wrote:Getaria was a nice place!
Must have been if Elcano went all the way around the world to get back to it!! :jerry:
JDTulane
President's Circle

Post by JDTulane »

WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Tamborrada beins tonight at midnight. I thought you'd be interested TUPF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamborrada
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

WaveProf wrote:Tamborrada beins tonight at midnight. I thought you'd be interested TUPF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamborrada
Cool! Took me back to the parte viejo in San Sebastián.
JDTulane
President's Circle

Post by JDTulane »

Martin's Wine Cellar uptown has a nice selection of Txokolina's in at the moment.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

JDTulane wrote:Martin's Wine Cellar uptown has a nice selection of Txokolina's in at the moment.
That's good to know. For those who'd rather not give Martin's their money, Ben's Wine Seller on Prytania always carries at least one, and he orders others for me at very reasonable prices whenever I ask. The new, preppie place on Magazine near Lilette always carries a couple as does (surprisingly) Rouses on Tchoup.
JDTulane
President's Circle

Post by JDTulane »

Why do we not like MWC again?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

JDTulane wrote:Why do we not like MWC again?
They're our biggest competitor among G5 leagues. Good sandwiches, though.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

JDTulane wrote:Why do we not like MWC again?
I don't "dislike" them. Don't know if anybody really does. But considering New Orleans, especially uptown, once had a host of small liquor store owners every few blocks who managed to beat the prices of most chains, and would order you whatever you wanted, and considering the big places like Martins have largely put them out....... all things being equal, I'm inclined to shop at one of the few such places still left. I know people loyal to the Prytannia Street liquore store. I prefer the Wine Seller (also on Prytannia). Ben orders me any liquor or beer I want for cheaper than even the grocery store, and has a very good on-hand selection of wine and liquor. He's also a nice guy. He's also matched prices when I've seen a sale at Rouses and called him to see what his price for _____ is. Meanwhile I know his name. I dont "dislike" Martin's, and I'm not saying I would never or have never shopped there. But all things being equal I'd rather support places like the Wine Seller (or similar).
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PS: Ben of the Wine Seller also always employs TU football players over the summer and attends TU baseball games. Roll Wave.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

TUPF----thought you'd want to know that last night's Anthony Bourdain episode was on the Basque Country. I haven't seen it (yet), but here is a write up:

https://www.eater.com/2017/5/7/15547682 ... -sebastian
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

WaveProf wrote:TUPF----thought you'd want to know that last night's Anthony Bourdain episode was on the Basque Country. I haven't seen it (yet), but here is a write up:

https://www.eater.com/2017/5/7/15547682 ... -sebastian
That about summed up,my time there. Thanks! We have to go back.