Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:14 pm 
Emerald Circle

...........with restaurant, coffee shop

what's that old joke about crossing two disparate things and ending with some abomination. This thing has it all Nick's Famous long bar! A drive through coffee shop! and a Beer Garden! Plus............a restaurant too! Crazy.

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/fe ... offee-shop

http://midcitymessenger.com/wp-content/ ... educed.jpg

Oh, and its three stories tall.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:58 pm 
Coach Level

Same name, same family ownership, but no way that's it's anywhere near like the original bar. That's impossible.

The last time I saw my wife drunk was at Nick's . . .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:30 pm 
Regent's Circle

The building needs to be listing to starboard ...

... and what about Larry & Katz?? ... and whatever happened to Graffagninos??

Carrollton Tavern ring a bell...??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:34 pm 
Regent's Circle

If you would be willing to eat any food prepared there, it can't possibly be THAT close to the original....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:39 pm 
Regent's Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:
If you would be willing to eat any food prepared there, it can't possibly be THAT close to the original....

Who is thinking of eating when going to Nick's? If you haven't eaten before you go, you're in trouble ....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:51 pm 
Regent's Circle

While I was an undergrad I took my mom there; I was returning an empty case of longnecks to the brewery across the street, thought I would get one for the road before heading home for summer vacation. My mom's first thought was that she would enjoy seeing the place my Dad (also a Tulane alum) talked about so often. Then she saw the place.

I nearly had to drag her in; 1 hour later (and two drinks while chatting with Ms. Dora) I nearly had to drag her out. She found out what my Dad loved about it. She still remembers that hangover to this day, blames me for it...

We took my Dad back graduation week; the look on his face when he was perusing the place showed he was remembering all the countless evenings there. My mom asked him "well, how is it?" He simply replied, "well, they have remodeled!"

The musty bottles, the corrugated cardboard wallpaper, the faded mural at the end of the bar, the bricks shoved under a corner tht was sagging; the killer drinks with great names; that was Nick's. I always thought "new dive" is a bit oxymoronic...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:16 pm 
Coach Level

I was partial to War Eagles and Lake Pontchartrains, with an occasional Underwater Demolition.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:29 pm 
Coach Level

Two stories about Nicks. First, it was the first place I ever ate crawfish (that was when there was a small grocery store/deli in front). Nick convinced me to suck the heads after a few beers.
Second, my wife and I were there one afternoon at the bar with the doors open. A NO cop car pulled up and two cops got out, leaving the car running, the doors open and the radio turned up loud. Then they both walked in and Nick served them drinks. Then they left. Only in NO.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:45 am 
President's Circle

Will the drive through board list "1-800-F**K-ME-UP" as a menu item? :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:24 am 
President's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
...........with restaurant, coffee shop

what's that old joke about crossing two disparate things and ending with some abomination. This thing has it all Nick's Famous long bar! A drive through coffee shop! and a Beer Garden! Plus............a restaurant too! Crazy.

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/fe ... offee-shop

http://midcitymessenger.com/wp-content/ ... educed.jpg

Oh, and its three stories tall.

No way, no way Nick's can be reproduced. It is gone forever. They can only use the name.

I've taken my parents there, my best friends, my wife. I told them it smells like a musty cellar and vomit and there's a trough under the bar, but you'll like it. They did. They'll never be another like it.

Last edited by Rotorooter on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:27 am 
President's Circle

doncecco wrote:

My roommate and I once had a "Christmas in July" party in Dallas. He dated a Newcomb girl and eventually married another. An A&M Aggie. Anyway, he loved a "Peeking Through Grass Skirts." I actually called Nick's to get the recipe, which they gave me. Needless to say, we had a great party.

When I tell people that there was a sign behind the bar that said, "no beer served after 7:00pm" they don't believe me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:17 am 
Regent's Circle

doncecco wrote:

It had better....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:18 am 
Regent's Circle

sr wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:

Who is thinking of eating when going to Nick's? If you haven't eaten before you go, you're in trouble ....

The new one will apparently have food. This makes no sense to me.

I would share a story about Nick's, but I don't remember any of them.... :coolshades:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:22 am 
Emerald Circle

the coffee shop/drive through is what gets me. I just don't see how the kinds of people that go have a cup of coffee at night.......are compatible with the Nick's crowd I remember. The Beer Garden seems off as well. Nick's was a hard drinking, no frills bar that cork sucker. Not some yuppified fru-fru place

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:25 am 
Regent's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
the coffee shop/drive through is what gets me. I just don't see how the kinds of people that go have a cup of coffee at night.......are compatible with the Nick's crowd I remember. The Beer Garden seems off as well. Nick's was a hard drinking, no frills bar that cork sucker. Not some yuppified fru-fru place

This. All of what you mention signals to me that whoever is doing it has no grasp of what made Nick's so beloved.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:52 am 
Regent's Circle

I enjoyed the "Lake Ponchartrain," the "rum all the way" and the "wedding cake" when I wanted something sweet and desserty. Some of the ones I remember trying included "Kermit's middle leg," some number of Italian virgins in the back of a beetle, and a "Raincheck." The latter consisted of three ingredients- scotch, tequila and drambouie. It is said that Nick invented it when he offered a drink on the house to a regular, who said he wanted a rain check, and would have it the next night.

My father loved the pousse cafes that Nick made. He would pour 20 or so liqueurs in the appropriate order (he knew the order of each one's specific gravities), and if the person was a newby, announce he had forgotten the bottom layer just before handing it to him/her. He would then take a straw from a broom, carefully insert it in the drink to the bottom, and let a drop of the liqueur travel down to the bottom (great showman!). It was said that the best justification for a crime would be shooting someone stupid enough to stir a pousse café.

When I was in med school, I found very tall thin shot glasses, and brought them for my dad. He spent several evenings experimenting with liqueurs to determine their specific gravities to make his own. I have those glasses now, but don't have his notes; might need to do a little experimentation this weekend, given the big ice/snow storm coming my way... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:43 am 
Regent's Circle

So this is where the new Nick's will be located ... Five stories taller than the initial plans a few years ago.
Maybe they'll put Larry & Katz in there too.

https://twitter.com/MidCityMessengr/status/1130569434781933575?s=20

Story here --

http://midcitymessenger.com/2019/05/20/24902/

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:04 am 
Regent's Circle

sr wrote:
So this is where the new Nick's will be located ... Five stories taller than the initial plans a few years ago.

Story here --

That can never really be Nick's.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:50 am 
Emerald Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:

To quote "Pamela Folse" from the comments:

This is absurd, associating this project with Nick’s. It has nothing to do with the original except location. Also, the master mixologist has long been dead. The younger man he trained is I believe also dead. Even if you tried to repa ckage this on a fancy new building no one knows how to make those drinks, it was an art.i have been seething since I read this article. That piece of our culture is gone and to associate it with another bleeping condo project is offensive. The place I had my first sake martini is sacred to me.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:19 pm 
Regent's Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:
sr wrote:

Story here --

well, if you get mugged out in the parking lot of that new building then at least some of the ambiance will have been restored

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:50 pm 
President's Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:

Exactly. But then again, after a 1-800-FMU or two, you might eat anything.....

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:28 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
sr wrote:

Story here --

well, if you get mugged out in the parking lot of that new building then at least some of the ambiance will have been restored

JM wins the thread. Shut it down now.