Zapp's & Abita

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Zapp's & Abita

Post by WaveProf »

Zapp's to make a Drago's flavored chip, and Bayou Tech to make a Zapp's flavored beer.

http://www.nola.com/drink/index.ssf/201 ... um=twitter

Thanks to Troy Dannen's wife for tweeting this. That couple has their priorities straight!!!
Last edited by WaveProf on Thu May 18, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Zapp's

Post by gerryb323 »

WaveProf wrote:Zapp's to make a Drago's flavored chip, and Bayou Tech to make a Zapp's flavored beer.

http://www.nola.com/drink/index.ssf/201 ... um=twitter

Thanks to Troy Dannen's wife for tweeting this. That couple has their priorities straight!!!
I had the new Abita Spiced ale (brother bought me some for the birthday). It actually has cayenne in it. Supposed to be reminiscent of a crawfish boil. It's actually not bad. And the spicy hits you after, a different beer experience.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I've had beer with cayenne. I like it, though none of the beers I've had with it were knockouts (for other reasons). I think someone is going to make a mint when they hit that mark just right.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

I've had crab-flavored potato chips (they're pretty common in eastern Europe), which were surprisingly good. I'm curious as to whether oyster will translate as well.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I'm curious too Gretna, but no oyster (nor oyster flavor) in the chips. Flavors from the toppings, not the oysters. Bummer, I know
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I saw Zapp's posted on Facebook about the Drago's Oyster chips. Hoping they arrive at my one local store that carries them (though not holding my breath).

I visited said store last week to stock up on Abita and some other "unusual" items (Abita is unusual around here). My wife likes their Abita's Strawberry Ale but of course it's a bit early for that; however, they did have a single 22-oz bottle of something called "Strawgator", a mix of the Strawberry and their Andygator. Have not tried it yet. But we also found their hard root beer (which seems to be a fad in light of the popularity of "not your father's root beer"). I thought it pretty good, although it has wintergreen in it, and once you know that, you can't not notice it every taste (which, though I don't mind it in sweets, isn't really a flavor I want in a drink).

But we noticed (though did not buy) Abita's "Bad Mother Shucker Oyster Stout". Anyone tried that? Sounded like a bad idea, but I'm a little curious.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:I saw Zapp's posted on Facebook about the Drago's Oyster chips. Hoping they arrive at my one local store that carries them (though not holding my breath).

I visited said store last week to stock up on Abita and some other "unusual" items (Abita is unusual around here). My wife likes their Abita's Strawberry Ale but of course it's a bit early for that; however, they did have a single 22-oz bottle of something called "Strawgator", a mix of the Strawberry and their Andygator. Have not tried it yet. But we also found their hard root beer (which seems to be a fad in light of the popularity of "not your father's root beer"). I thought it pretty good, although it has wintergreen in it, and once you know that, you can't not notice it every taste (which, though I don't mind it in sweets, isn't really a flavor I want in a drink).

But we noticed (though did not buy) Abita's "Bad Mother Shucker Oyster Stout". Anyone tried that? Sounded like a bad idea, but I'm a little curious.
The Strawgator is spectacularly good. Haven't tried the oyster one.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

WaveProf wrote:I'm curious too Gretna, but no oyster (nor oyster flavor) in the chips. Flavors from the toppings, not the oysters. Bummer, I know
What a very disappointing copout.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

The Drago's chips are really good.
Victory is never permanent
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I have yet to find them in stock wherever I go.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Got some at Breaux Mart. Haven't eaten them yet.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

OGSB wrote:The Drago's chips are really good.
Yum
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

So who's going to buy me a couple of bags and send them to me in exchange for money?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Finally tried them. I thought they were incredibly mediocre. Didn't "dislike" them in any way, but I don't know if I'd buy them again.

I miss my Tabasco limited editions that were around very YEARS but disappeared a couple of years back.

In the meantime I'll stick to Voodoo Heat when I can find them, and regular Voodoo when I can't.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

WaveProf wrote:Finally tried them. I thought they were incredibly mediocre. Didn't "dislike" them in any way, but I don't know if I'd buy them again.

I miss my Tabasco limited editions that were around very YEARS but disappeared a couple of years back.

In the meantime I'll stick to Voodoo Heat when I can find them, and regular Voodoo when I can't.
Drago's sponsored, but really they're like smokey garlic chips. My wife says not enough cheese flavor. I don't know if there's any cheese actually in them.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

I was underwhelmed, didn't find the flavor all that strong. The Creole Tomato ones are my favorite.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Creole Tomato are good too, but hard to find (I had forgotten about them). But your post did remind me of how much I like Creole Onion. I think I'd slide those into #2 of my faves for available Zapps 1) Voodoo Heat 2) Creole Onion 3) Voodoo 4) Creole Tomato 5) salt and vinegar

My real #1 remains the Tabasco ones though, but they are still MIA :(
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Do they still make the creole onion in full sized bags? I assume they do... My sister-in-law occasionally sends us Zapps in the mail because they have them where she lives, but they only carry the creole onion in the small single-serving bags (all other flavors in normal bags). My wife loves the creole onion (not that I dont) so we always get these small bags mixed with the big bags of voodoo and crawtaters.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Yes Pete!!! We buy them the most because our favorite (VooDoo Heat) only come in small bags. Creole Onion most certainly does come in big bags.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

My favorite is still the crawtators
JDTulane
President's Circle

Post by JDTulane »

Had the Drago's chips. They were great. Not as good as the crawtator chips but I liked them better than the orig flavor and voodoo (don't like the vinegary-ness)
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

How is the sweet pimento cream cheese flavor? A great New Orleans restaurant here in town (run by a Katrina ex-pat) just posted a picture of a bag of them on the restaurant Facebook page.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

WaveProf wrote:Finally tried them. I thought they were incredibly mediocre. Didn't "dislike" them in any way, but I don't know if I'd buy them again.

I passed a whole shelf of Voodoo Heat today at World Market in Austin.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:How is the sweet pimento cream cheese flavor? A great New Orleans restaurant here in town (run by a Katrina ex-pat) just posted a picture of a bag of them on the restaurant Facebook page.
Haven't seen them yet; will definitely try when I do. The oyster ones were meh (not bad/not great), but a lot of their more unusual flavors turn out to be really good.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

my feeling about Zaps is why bother with a chip at all, just eat a bag of salt.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.