Actor Bill Paxton dies, age 61

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Actor Bill Paxton dies, age 61

Post by TUPF »

My best memory: the freaking out Colonial Marine in the Aliens movie.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Re: Actor Bill Paxton dies, age 61

Post by OGSB »

Aliens, Apollo 13, Titanic & Weird Science off the top of my head.

Game over man, game over.
Victory is never permanent
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

OGSB wrote:Aliens, Apollo 13, Titanic & Weird Science off the top of my head.

Game over man, game over.
Excellent. I had forgotten Weird Science--his character reminded me of a drunk LSU fan.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

And with three wives and 10+ kids to support!
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

WaveProf wrote:And with three wives and 10+ kids to support!
"Big Love" reminds me of Simpson's joke (may have been told by Lenny, Carl and Moe): "Definition of bigamy is one wife too many. Strange it's the same definition as monogamy."
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Aw, man... I liked him!
Last edited by PeteRasche on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

That's Bill Pullman.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

OGSB wrote:That's Bill Pullman.
Heh, I was afraid that might be the case but I literally Google his name and found that link. Apparently the Internet (not just me) confuses the two.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

PeteRasche wrote:
OGSB wrote:That's Bill Pullman.
Heh, I was afraid that might be the case but I literally Google his name and found that link. Apparently the Internet (not just me) confuses the two.
For some reason I always confuse Pullman with Jeff Daniels.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

He was in twister with Helen Hunt. Played a reformed storm chaser who fell off the wagon.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

In 2005, I interviewed Bill Paxton for his directorial work on "The Greatest Game Every Played"... it wasn't a big money maker at the box office, but was a great story about Francis Ouimet and his incredible upset at the US Open in 1913. Bill was an incredibly nice guy.. I had told him that Maxim Magazine had published a list of the 20 biggest movie douche bags and that Chet from "Weird Science" was on the list. He laughed and asked "who was number 1".. and I said "Niedermeyer"... he laughed and said "That's funny... I actually based Chet as sort of a hybrid of Niedermeyer and Sergeant Carter". RIP Bill... one of Hollywood's nice guys.. gone.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Johnny Mac wrote:In 2005, I interviewed Bill Paxton for his directorial work on "The Greatest Game Every Played"... it wasn't a big money maker at the box office, but was a great story about Francis Ouimet and his incredible upset at the US Open in 1913. Bill was an incredibly nice guy.. I had told him that Maxim Magazine had published a list of the 20 biggest movie douche bags and that Chet from "Weird Science" was on the list. He laughed and asked "who was number 1".. and I said "Niedermeyer"... he laughed and said "That's funny... I actually based Chet as sort of a hybrid of Niedermeyer and Sergeant Carter". RIP Bill... one of Hollywood's nice guys.. gone.
That movie is very historically true. He did a great job with the story. One of my favorite sports movies. LeBoeuf was excellent, too bad he's b@t-kah-kah crazy in real life.

RIP, Bill.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Rotorooter wrote:That movie is very historically true. He did a great job with the story. One of my favorite sports movies. LeBoeuf was excellent, too bad he's b@t-kah-kah crazy in real life.

RIP, Bill.
being a golfer and a golf fan, my first question to him was "where did you find all of those wooden shafted clubs?" He said some guy owned a massive collection and loaned them to the movie... he was impressed that I noticed the detail because apparently he was quite proud of his and the production crew's effort to procure them to maintain that historical accuracy

I tried to convince the author of that book to write a book about the 2005 Green Wave football team... failed.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Johnny Mac wrote:In 2005, I interviewed Bill Paxton for his directorial work on "The Greatest Game Every Played"... it wasn't a big money maker at the box office, but was a great story about Francis Ouimet and his incredible upset at the US Open in 1913. Bill was an incredibly nice guy.. I had told him that Maxim Magazine had published a list of the 20 biggest movie douche bags and that Chet from "Weird Science" was on the list. He laughed and asked "who was number 1".. and I said "Niedermeyer"... he laughed and said "That's funny... I actually based Chet as sort of a hybrid of Niedermeyer and Sergeant Carter". RIP Bill... one of Hollywood's nice guys.. gone.
Wow, nicely done!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Rotorooter wrote:
That movie is very historically true. He did a great job with the story. One of my favorite sports movies. LeBoeuf was excellent, too bad he's b@t-kah-kah crazy in real life.

RIP, Bill.
JMac, Thanks for the great story. I never much liked Weird Science. If they had the courage of their convictions and made it R rated like Animal House, it simply would have been raunchier and funnier. However Chet was classic just like Niedermeyer regardless of the rating.

Meanwhile this only proves the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is still operative.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Baywave1 wrote:JMac, Thanks for the great story. I never much liked Weird Science.
funniest part about that movie today is seeing Robert Downey Jr. then and what he has become now
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:JMac, Thanks for the great story. I never much liked Weird Science.
funniest part about that movie today is seeing Robert Downey Jr. then and what he has become now
Of course there's a part of Captain America Civil War where you get to see him looking just like he did in Back To School... (that technology blows me away, just like how Michael Douglas in Ant-Man looked exactly like he did in Wall Street)
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

In a ton of great movies and everyone who's met him has said he was a legitimately good guy. 61 is too young these days. Sad.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

GretnaGrn wrote:In a ton of great movies and everyone who's met him has said he was a legitimately good guy. 61 is too young these days. Sad.
Being 60, I concur.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

TUPF wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:In a ton of great movies and everyone who's met him has said he was a legitimately good guy. 61 is too young these days. Sad.
Being 60, I concur.
Not far behind you, and I also agree. Got word that one of my patients died this am; he was 72, and I think it was too soon.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »