Expensive Fun

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Expensive Fun

Post by TU77CAL82 »

PT-305 IS READY FOR LAUNCH!
http://pt305.org/home/?utm_source=Advan ... NMGDIGITAL
RIDE DETAILS

Only offered on Saturday, limited availability. We highly recommend purchasing tickets in advance to assure your spot on the boat.
Children under 12 are not allowed on the boat.
Lasts approximately 90 minutes.
$350 per person; $305 for seniors, children ages 12–17, military, and Museum Members.
The boat is not ADA accessible.
Exclusive charters are available. Please contact our Travel & Conference Department for further details.
On my bucket list. Come to think of it, I’ll be getting almost that amount from a class action lawsuit settlement with Boh Bros. insurance company over failure of the 17th St. canal floodwall . . .
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: Expensive Fun

Post by windywave »

IIRC a ride in a B17 is cheaper.... there is no way they're selling that out 6 months from now
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Ho hum.

Do a submarine emergency blow of all main ballast tanks while at test depth traveling at flank speed. The boat pretty much comes out of the water, all 7000 tons/360 feet worth. We sometimes called it a Nantucket sleigh ride.

https://youtu.be/dUPXo_2kJEo

:mrgreen:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

TUPF wrote:Ho hum.

Do a submarine emergency blow of all main ballast tanks while at test depth traveling at flank speed. The boat pretty much comes out of the water, all 7000 tons/360 feet worth. We sometimes called it a Nantucket sleigh ride.

Braggart. I have to take meclizine if I plan to go on the merry-go-round... :oops:
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

AO Sig wrote:

Braggart. I have to take meclizine if I plan to go on the merry-go-round... :oops:
I'm with you there. My last tango with a roller coaster was at age 12 and it wasn't pretty. There's a reason I did not fly Navy jets.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Do a real Nantucket sleigh ride and get back to me. :angel: :angel:
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF, that sounds awesome. Would likely put whale-watching to shame!
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

there is a B-17 and a B-24 that come by Illinois every year, i think its about $300 to ride in them. i'd rather do that, personally.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Yankeewave wrote:there is a B-17 and a B-24 that come by Illinois every year, i think its about $300 to ride in them. i'd rather do that, personally.
This.

I don't have any cool history like tupf. The best I can claim is that three occasions I slept on a docked 1) WWII era battleship 2) active duty troop ship 3) just de-activated submarine. And those dull experiences are still sufficient enough to have removed any mystique from spending 350 a pop to ride a pt boat. Just my personal opinion/perspective
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Yankeewave wrote:there is a B-17 and a B-24 that come by Illinois every year, i think its about $300 to ride in them. i'd rather do that, personally.
In all seriousness, I think you are right. Those PT boats were fast and maneuverable for sure but even a commercial hydrofoil nowadays would be more thrilling.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:

Do a real Nantucket sleigh ride and get back to me. :angel: :angel:
Save the whales! 8)
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

TUPF wrote:
In all seriousness, I think you are right. Those PT boats were fast and maneuverable for sure but even a commercial hydrofoil nowadays would be more thrilling.
well, and I certainly don't want to dismiss what the men in PT boats did during WWII, more than me for sure, but besides the JFK connection and the movie In Harms Way, I don't know that they resonate with people (not to say they should not, they did important things around Guadalcanal and at Battle of Leyte Gulf, for instance).

B-17s, however, are the icon of the air war in Europe. very cool if you ever get a chance to get inside one, in the old documentaries they look huge, but are tiny inside.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I was pretty much not made for military vehicles in general. :mrgreen:

As seems to be the consensus, all respect to those who were on the boat when it was active, but this tour idea sounds like a great big fail. I'd rather ride a riverboat, for much less money.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

I think it's more a way to donate and get a cool perk for it. They've spun it in some of the local advertising as helping to pay for the restoration.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:I was pretty much not made for military vehicles in general. :mrgreen:
Pete, my first CO on USS Billfish (SSN 676) was 6' 10". He had to stoop in some of the passageways (in boats there are all manner of valves and wireways in the overheads) and he said the first time he could actually stretch out in his rack was when he became Commanding Officer.

There is a sitting torso height restriction for jets, so you probably miss that though.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

TUPF wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:I was pretty much not made for military vehicles in general. :mrgreen:
Pete, my first CO on USS Billfish (SSN 676) was 6' 10". He had to stoop in some of the passageways (in boats there are all manner of valves and wireways in the overheads) and he said the first time he could actually stretch out in his rack was when he became Commanding Officer.

There is a sitting torso height restriction for jets, so you probably miss that though.
Threadjack! So I had to look up the Billfish - it was a WW2 sub! According to Wikipedia, it was one of several Balao-class subs repurposed for training. Had they massively overhauled her when you were on board or was she still very much WW2 vintage?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
TUPF wrote:

Threadjack! So I had to look up the Billfish - it was a WW2 sub! According to Wikipedia, it was one of several Balao-class subs repurposed for training. Had they massively overhauled her when you were on board or was she still very much WW2 vintage?
Look again. It's traditional for the Navy to reuse ship names. The key is the previous sub's designation: SS, which means submersible ship. My Billfish, an SSN for submersible ship nuclear, was commissioned in 1971. I reported aboard her after the one year of nuclear training after Tulane in 1979. I tried to link the wiki but it's not acting right.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Ah, I knew her well. 8)
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

As seems to be the consensus, all respect to those who were on the boat when it was active, but this tour idea sounds like a great big fail. I'd rather ride a riverboat, for much less money.
a friend's grandfather played small forward in the Pac 10 and somehow ended up as a nose gunner in a WWII bomber....not a very big space...not sure what genius decided that would be the best spot for him
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

TUPF wrote:
Ah, I knew her well. 8)
And, if you're looking for a nostalgia trip, there are pix from a crew's reunion...
http://ussbillfish.com/

I wonder why the ship's logo shows a stylized ray, instead of a bill-fish?
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Speaking of PT boats - my parents had some property on the Jordan River south of Kiln, MS and someone in the area had an restored PT. We could hear it coming for miles and had to make sure we were out of the main channel when he came through. He only had one speed - wide open.