Vintage photos of lost Nola restaurants

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Vintage photos of lost Nola restaurants

Post by WaveProf »

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/20 ... rt_m-rpt-2

Since people on the main board were practically begging for a food thread ;)
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Re: Vintage photos of lost Nola restaurants

Post by AO Sig »

They left off two I remember well; T Patari's, (forgive the spelling), and Takee Outee
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

A spot that I'm sure is gone is the old Black Orchid in Gentilly. It was upstairs and believe the bar was downstairs. Tony Angello was the owner.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Half of those aren't in New Orleans, one of them is in Mississippi, and one didn't seem to be a restaurant at all. It's not Prof's fault but man, they need to come up with some standards. A look back at a smaller number of old restaurants in a smaller area (Mandeville/Madisonville, Fat City, etc.) would be interesting and wouldn't require much more work.

For some reason every time someone says "lost restaurant" I think of Delerno's in Old Metairie. Classic "Bar & Rest." who specialized in crawfish dishes way before anyone else did.

Lost seafood restaurants would be a great topic for one of these looks back. In the general area of Uptown alone you could name the Bright Star (now a breakfast place), Compagno's (now Vincent's and God Bless Sal and Marie Compagno, by the way), Bud's Seafood on Calhoun and my favorite, Joe Petrossi's (now Cafe Atchafalaya). I've gone on about this before. And will again.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

What was Bright Star, when was its era? I ask because when I lived in Birmingham, there was a restaurant about 45 minutes south in tiny Bessemer, AL, with the same name, and they had some tie to New Orleans because occasionally they would have guest chefs from New Orleans restaurants for weekends (specifically, I went once when the head chef from Commander's Palace was visiting). Just wondering if they were related, or if it was a name coincidence.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Bright Star was open into the 1980's and had been around for a while. It was on Burdette and Panola, I believe. I couldn't guess the connection. The Bright Star I'm talking about was just a bit on the dive side, like Domilese's but larger. Sandwiches and fried seafood and daily specials with a bar attached.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Although it was not a place one went to eat, Nick's was place where some might have had "dinner."
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

I miss Frankie and Johnny's, Jager's, and crazy Johnnies
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

While I've heard Frankie and Johnnie's isn't as good as it used to be, it is not a "lost" NOLA restaurant. It was closed for a while, partially at the behest of the health department, but its been reopened for a while under new owners but mostly looking the same.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:While I've heard Frankie and Johnnie's isn't as good as it used to be, it is not a "lost" NOLA restaurant. It was closed for a while, partially at the behest of the health department, but its been reopened for a while under new owners but mostly looking the same.
It keeps opening and closing.... did guys reopen?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

windywave wrote:[did guys reopen?
Yes. And painted it a bright new blue color so the cars passing by aren't likely to miss it :mrgreen:

The inside is renovated much "nicer" than in the past. But the food is the same. Thank god.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

What about Fitzgerald's at the lake? Did it reopen? If not, it definitely should be on the list. Maybe it wasn't fancy, but I really liked its seafood and "ambiance."

BTW, Frankie & Johnnie's is still pretty d@mn good. Great atmosphere.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

AO Sig wrote:Although it was not a place one went to eat, Nick's was place where some might have had "dinner."
The ole liquid diet. Good for a cheap date.
Plan your work, work your plan.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:[did guys reopen?
Yes. And painted it a bright new blue color so the cars passing by aren't likely to miss it :mrgreen:

The inside is renovated much "nicer" than in the past. But the food is the same. Thank god.
Maybe they should paint it a color cars are likely to miss.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Rotorooter wrote:What about Fitzgerald's at the lake? Did it reopen? If not, it definitely should be on the list. Maybe it wasn't fancy, but I really liked its seafood and "ambiance."

BTW, Frankie & Johnnie's is still pretty d@mn good. Great atmosphere.
Not only did it not reopen, but one of the hurricanes (I think Georges, maybe, or certainly before Katrina), took it away.
Bring home da Wave!
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

Is Sal and Sam's still open?
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes