Roger Moore dies aged 89

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
long green
Cornerstone

Roger Moore dies aged 89

Post by long green »

The third Bond dies first (yes, George Lazenby is still with us). RIP. And of course he was Simon Templar in The Saint.

My favorite Roger Moore movie is not a Bond. It's a modest budget action film called ffolkes. It was also released as North Sea Hijack, which is almost too accurate. Moore played the title character, an ex-Royal Navy commando who has gone into business for himself and is called back when terrorists (led by Anthony Perkins) threaten to blow up a few North Sea drilling platforms. A fun afternoon cable thriller from the '80's.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/m ... james-bond
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
doncecco
President's Circle

Re: Roger Moore dies aged 89

Post by doncecco »

Clearly not the best Bond, but I felt, the most interesting and cheeky Bond films.
Bring home da Wave!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

My first ever Bond, due to my age, was when For Your Eyes Only arrived on HBO back in the cable-TV-was-brand-new days of the early 80s. At that point (I was almost 10?), I didn't know that exciting, scary, violent, sexy, and suave could all co-exist in a single movie. It was the most amazing thing I'd seen at that point in my life, and I loved every terribly kitschy moment of it. Bad-*ss Greek goddesses wielding crossbows? Um, okay. I was hooked.

RIP, Mr. Moore.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

doncecco wrote:Clearly not the best Bond, but I felt, the most interesting and cheeky Bond films.
An interesting and apt distinction.

Personally, I thought Pierce Brosnan was a solid Bond, better than Roger Moore IMO. But the Brosnan movies were the worst of any of the Bonds, and definitely worse than the Moore movies. The first Daniel Craig Bond is still my favorite Bond movie ever, but since then the movies have become a bit more meh.......but I'd still put Daniel Craig neck and neck with Connery for my favorite Bond. Point being a good Bond does not always a good Bond movie and script make.....
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16