Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Safe Home from London.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:37 pm 
Coach Level

In case anyone cares, we are home safe(ly) from London. The News is reporting another bridge attack. we were on the Westminster bridge earlier this evening, on our way to the Train station and home.
take care everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:47 pm 
Emerald Circle

Not just a bridge .... at least 3 areas hit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:56 pm 
Regent's Circle

My wife and daughter are supposed to leave in 2 weeks for a girls-only trip there for shopping and lots of theatre; my wife is definitely thinking twice about this. During the same time my son and I have a place for a week just outside Sea Pines on Hilton Head; I have a suspicion that two ladies might be with us in the end...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:45 pm 
Emerald Circle

my co-worker is doing Alaska instead of Europe for this reason

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:41 am 
Emerald Circle

Having done lots of travels to both nice and sketchy places, I will tell you the same thing I tell my daughter, who returned from London last week and who will return to London next week until August.

Yes, you need to keep your wits about you but don't change your plans. You have just as much to worry about from a domestic nut job in seemingly benign places as you do in a world capitol. Whenever you walk in a public places, scan the exits and entrances and have an escape route in your mind. While walking on sidewalks near buildings scan for alcoves you might duck into should a car or truck jump the curb. In restaurants I always sit facing the entrance so I can see who is coming in but I might be a little weird. Trust that little voice that says someone or some thing does not look right.

The alternative is to live in a bunker but the simple fact is most violence is committed by people we know and most loss of life occurs doing the things we do every day. Don't become one of those cable news subscribers convinced that Armageddon is just around the corner, to be perpetrated by the great Others.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:33 am 
President's Circle

TUPF wrote:
Having done lots of travels to both nice and sketchy places, I will tell you the same thing I tell my daughter, who returned from London last week and who will return to London next week until August.

Yes, you need to keep your wits about you but don't change your plans. You have just as much to worry about from a domestic nut job in seemingly benign places as you do in a world capitol. Whenever you walk in a public places, scan the exits and entrances and have an escape route in your mind. While walking on sidewalks near buildings scan for alcoves you might duck into should a car or truck jump the curb. In restaurants I always sit facing the entrance so I can see who is coming in but I might be a little weird. Trust that little voice that says someone or some thing does not look right.

The alternative is to live in a bunker but the simple fact is most violence is committed by people we know and most loss of life occurs doing the things we do every day. Don't become one of those cable news subscribers convinced that Armageddon is just around the corner, to be perpetrated by the great Others.

Thanks TUPF. My family and I are all going to Paris then London this fall. I asked my boys if they wanted to change destinations, they said no. But we WILL go over precautions before going, I can tell you that. They'll know to keep their heads on a swivel. You presented some good advice. Frankly, I'd rather go out into the countryside after a couple of days in the city anyway. I think you get a better feel for the people and the country's zeitgeist by getting out of the cities, plus the countryside is safer, generally speaking.

As for facing the door in a restaurant, you are not being weird. I have done that for years, and I am not in the mob. My wife makes fun of me, but I feel better for it. I also have my license to carry. Today, unfortunately, you just never know.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:19 pm 
Regent's Circle

My mother in law has sent several emails about the trip. My wife and daughter have kept their plans to go- the feeling is that if they did not go, the terrorists win.

They have made one change; they had planned to go to this big festival at Trafalgar that included a song or two from every musical in the West End, but have decided not to go to avoid a big, open air crowd that could be seen as a target.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:02 pm 
Cornerstone

Have a contingency plan for if things go South (keep in mind that it could even happen at your hotel). Everyone should know where to meet up if you're separated, and a secondary place to go if the first place isn't available (or if you have to leave for some reason). Do not count on cell phones working in an emergency. Make sure the children can find their way to the rendezvous without an adult to help.
And consider some sort of "I'm OK" message that can be left at the rendezvous in case y'all have to move along before the other can get there.

Carry "in case of emergency" info on everyone.

Think it through in advance, be prepared, and stay alert for danger.

Then, enjoy yourself, knowing you've done what you can to get you through the turmoil.