Eclipse 2017

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: Eclipse 2017

Post by WaveProf »

ml---my kid's school went to like tuesday june 2 or something like that this past year. We took him out the last two days because of some complicated travel logistics (and he's only PK4). But technically it went that long....
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

WaveProf wrote:ml---my kid's school went to like tuesday june 2 or something like that this past year. We took him out the last two days because of some complicated travel logistics (and he's only PK4). But technically it went that long....
Huh, who knew?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Private Joker wrote:We peaked out here in Seattle at 10:20 a.m {PDT. In the 90% zone. Still could see outside no problem, but very weird, low light, and almost total silence. I guess everyone had stopped what they were doing to look up.
Everyone here at my office was looking down at pinhole projections, as only a couple of the assembled folks had glasses. I was hoping for it to be much darker (we were like 91%). Weird light but not much different than when a spring storm rolls in. As with 1979...very underwhelming. Although that was kinda what I expected.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Not very dark in Thibodaux, though that is to be expected at 74%. Got glasses with 30 seconds to go from a tent at the rec center. Cool to look at the sun while eclipsed.

In 1999 I had a 99% total eclipse while doing my semester at Oxford..... it got very dark (birds flying and squawking etc) but I didn't have glasses so I couldnt look
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

It was interesting to look at and my office was thrilled that I bought in a pair of glasses for everybody to try. I would say it wasn't worth the hype and I won't be able to get away without giving the staff bonuses by reminding of the time I allowed them to use my solar glasses.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

My office enjoyed taking turns with the 4 or so pairs we had. One patient delayed her infusion so she could borrow one pair and go outside as well.

BTW- I had said that the Kingsport City Schools were able to supply glasses to everyone; the beneficence of Eastman chemical corporation, headquartered about half a mile from my office, is the reason there were plenty for all still in school. My daughter said as much as 1/2 of all the students were out, traveling down to Greenville/Spartanburg, SC, or to Cleveland or Maryville, Tennessee to witness it.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I didn't have glasses. After watching CNN coverage for the first 30 minutes or so I walked outside, picked up a large dried leaf, punched a small hole in it with a pine straw and projected it in the driveway. Worked great!
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Heavy cloud cover formed here as the eclipse period started, so there was no chance of seeing the actual eclipse. Supposedly, we were at about 92% coverage. Basically, it looked just like the build-up to a typical Summer T-storm. I didn't see any birds, but the lizards on my stone wall, my neighbors' dogs, and the carp in the pond seemed to be unaware that anything unusual was happening. The clouds began to disperse about the time the eclipse was supposed to be ending.

And the world didn't end, so I guess all my apocalypse prep went for naught.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

The best photos I've seen have been those which were taken of the ground in the shade of trees, where tiny gaps between the leaves effectively created pinholes. Thousands of illuminated crescents. Another I saw was a friend who used an old-school colander (the metal kind with small round holes punched in cool designs), which then made similarly shaped masses of said crescents on the ground.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:The best photos I've seen have been those which were taken of the ground in the shade of trees, where tiny gaps between the leaves effectively created pinholes. Thousands of illuminated crescents. Another I saw was a friend who used an old-school colander (the metal kind with small round holes punched in cool designs), which then made similarly shaped masses of said crescents on the ground.
Dang, I should have thought about the colander! Great idea, especially when I saw how well my leaf viewer worked.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium