Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:37 pm 
Emerald Circle

Still early but Irma projects as a Cat 4 entering the Gulf through the Florida Keys. At Cat 4 it really would be THROUGH the Keys. First, St. Martaan and the British Virgin Islands look to take a right front quadrant hit from Cat 5 Irma. Would be catastrophic.

Now with Jose, looks like it could be a tenuous next couple of weeks in the Gulf and the Atlantic.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:04 pm 
Coach Level

Irma is now the 32nd Category 5 hurricane in recorded history. Looking bad for the folks in her way.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:05 pm 
Coach Level

I'm glad that I got to see St. Martin while it still had foliage. I have a cousin in Key West. I hope that he's making his departure plans.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:09 pm 
Regent's Circle

most of the spaghetti models have it making a near 90 degree turn, north... however it's said this for a week now.. and it keeps projecting further and further west before it does that.

the last NHC update has it starting that upward track once past Key West

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:13 pm 
Emerald Circle

while the storm has not made a 90 degree turn yet it has started to inch north again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:54 pm 
Cornerstone

windywave wrote:
FW wrote:
Say goodbye to Puerto Rico

Don't you mean adios?

Nah, they speak English there too

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:47 pm 
Regent's Circle

FW wrote:
Say goodbye to Puerto Rico

PR is about to get fudged up the corn chute.... Cat 5... the ONLY saving grace is the storm is passing to the North, so the worst part of Irma will not hit.. but they are still going to be clobbered

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:14 am 
Regent's Circle

Well, track (5AM AST today, advisory 29) now has Irma right in middle of south Florida five days out. Significant change from yesterday AM. See page 1 for current projection.

FS'54

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:58 am 
Cornerstone

Dolphins-Bucs moved to November. University of Miami cancelled all of their athletic events for this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:03 am 
Regent's Circle

FW wrote:
Dolphins-Bucs moved to November. University of Miami cancelled all of their athletic events for this weekend.

I understand it's a month away, but I'm actually concerned the FIU game will be moved.. this could bring Andrew type destruction to the west suburbs of Miami, as it will still be Cat 3 by the time the eye moves up around Kendall. I was planning on driving down to bring back some furniture from the in-laws in Miami... not sure what shape it's going to be in

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:23 am 
Regent's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
FW wrote:

I understand it's a month away, but I'm actually concerned the FIU game will be moved.. this could bring Andrew type destruction to the west suburbs of Miami, as it will still be Cat 3 by the time the eye moves up around Kendall. I was planning on driving down to bring back some furniture from the in-laws in Miami... not sure what shape it's going to be in

OK with me if they move it to Yulman. Let's get TD right on it......

Meanwhile don't discount more Tulane fans in Norman than expected today if Irma does shift really South.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:30 am 
Emerald Circle

The outlier models showing a path across the gulf are becoming fewer and fewer. I think it's pretty likely it does the predicted turn and runs up Florida.

Then y'all start watching the next one behind it (Jose).
Although it appears to be going much farther north in the Atlantic (probably due to the high expected to push Irma north).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:43 am 
Coach Level

Johnny Mac wrote:
FW wrote:

I understand it's a month away, but I'm actually concerned the FIU game will be moved.

FIU is playing their 'home' game in Birmingham this weekend. Miami cancelled their away game at Arkansas State?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:59 am 
Regent's Circle

TU77CAL82 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
FW wrote:

I understand it's a month away, but I'm actually concerned the FIU game will be moved.

FIU is playing their 'home' game in Birmingham this weekend. Miami cancelled their away game at Arkansas State?

Burying the lede...Miami is playing at Arkansas State?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:06 am 
Emerald Circle

TU77CAL82 wrote:
Miami cancelled their away game at Arkansas State?
Maybe they actually think it's prudent that the players pack up their stuff and get it out of there rather than going off to play a game?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:22 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Miami cancelled their away game at Arkansas State?
Maybe they actually think it's prudent that the players pack up their stuff and get it out of there rather than going off to play a game?

That's just crazy talk....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:21 pm 
Emerald Circle

I'm sorry to stop the mass Mrs. Reverend Lovejoy impression but the "why can't they play the game" crowd is right. Leave early, stay late. There is plenty of time and space to see what will happen with this storm. But we have to always be topping ourselves in long-distance concern-trolling.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:27 pm 
Cornerstone

long green wrote:
I'm sorry to stop the mass Mrs. Reverend Lovejoy impression but the "why can't they play the game" crowd is right. Leave early, stay late. There is plenty of time and space to see what will happen with this storm. But we have to always be topping ourselves in long-distance concern-trolling.
Totally agree. If the storm actually comes to where I live, it won't get here before Tuesday or Wednesday at the earliest, but in the past 7 hours I've gotten 7 phone calls from friends and family, inquiring as to how we're making out with the hurricane. Plus a passel of emails and texts.

The news media have GOT TO STOP the hype fest. They claim it's a "public service" to give "ample" warning, but it's really just to scare folks and keep them tuned in. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:36 pm 
Emerald Circle

If I weren't on my phone and it weren't such a bother, I'd give you a captain obvious meme. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:38 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
If I weren't on my phone and it weren't such a bother, I'd give you a captain obvious meme. :lol:

The tragedy of our times is that this is a valid and understandable excuse. God help us.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:39 pm 
Emerald Circle

I've grown to really like David Bernard who I think is turning out to be the best knowledgeable and calm weather prognosticator we have. And this is what he has to say to us:

"1. We are not in the 5 day forecast cone. Not even close
2. There are no watches and warnings for our area
3. There is no discussion of any pending evacuations
4. There are no reliable computer models that bring the storm here"

so we should just relax and enjoy this glorious cool (for us in September) weather

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:46 pm 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker, I don't think anyone is (much at all) concerned with it hitting New Orleans. Roller's not there, ya know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:50 pm 
Emerald Circle

Pete, I'm aware Roller is not here. But since you don't live here either you might be surprised at the level of anxiety people were feeling over this storm. And Irma had been tracking, slowly, ever westward. Which had a number of us concerned since Katrina did the same thing. It wasn't until last night that we saw the first move back toward the East. And poor Florida.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:06 pm 
Coach Level

And now USF and UConn are in talks about cancelling or moving up game time for the game in East Hartford.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:09 pm 
Emerald Circle

TU77CAL82 wrote:
And now USF and UConn are in talks about cancelling or moving up game time for the game in East Hartford.

The "I Care So Hard" arms race is off and running.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next