First there was Harvey...

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: First there was Harvey...

Post by TUPF »

Still early but Irma projects as a Cat 4 entering the Gulf through the Florida Keys. At Cat 4 it really would be THROUGH the Keys. First, St. Martaan and the British Virgin Islands look to take a right front quadrant hit from Cat 5 Irma. Would be catastrophic.

Now with Jose, looks like it could be a tenuous next couple of weeks in the Gulf and the Atlantic.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Irma is now the 32nd Category 5 hurricane in recorded history. Looking bad for the folks in her way.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

I'm glad that I got to see St. Martin while it still had foliage. I have a cousin in Key West. I hope that he's making his departure plans.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

most of the spaghetti models have it making a near 90 degree turn, north... however it's said this for a week now.. and it keeps projecting further and further west before it does that.

the last NHC update has it starting that upward track once past Key West
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

while the storm has not made a 90 degree turn yet it has started to inch north again.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

windywave wrote:
FW wrote:Say goodbye to Puerto Rico
Don't you mean adios?
Nah, they speak English there too
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

FW wrote:Say goodbye to Puerto Rico
PR is about to get fudged up the corn chute.... Cat 5... the ONLY saving grace is the storm is passing to the North, so the worst part of Irma will not hit.. but they are still going to be clobbered
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Well, track (5AM AST today, advisory 29) now has Irma right in middle of south Florida five days out. Significant change from yesterday AM. See page 1 for current projection.

FS'54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Dolphins-Bucs moved to November. University of Miami cancelled all of their athletic events for this weekend.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

FW wrote:Dolphins-Bucs moved to November. University of Miami cancelled all of their athletic events for this weekend.
I understand it's a month away, but I'm actually concerned the FIU game will be moved.. this could bring Andrew type destruction to the west suburbs of Miami, as it will still be Cat 3 by the time the eye moves up around Kendall. I was planning on driving down to bring back some furniture from the in-laws in Miami... not sure what shape it's going to be in
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Johnny Mac wrote:
FW wrote:Dolphins-Bucs moved to November. University of Miami cancelled all of their athletic events for this weekend.
I understand it's a month away, but I'm actually concerned the FIU game will be moved.. this could bring Andrew type destruction to the west suburbs of Miami, as it will still be Cat 3 by the time the eye moves up around Kendall. I was planning on driving down to bring back some furniture from the in-laws in Miami... not sure what shape it's going to be in
OK with me if they move it to Yulman. Let's get TD right on it......

Meanwhile don't discount more Tulane fans in Norman than expected today if Irma does shift really South.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

The outlier models showing a path across the gulf are becoming fewer and fewer. I think it's pretty likely it does the predicted turn and runs up Florida.

Then y'all start watching the next one behind it (Jose).
Although it appears to be going much farther north in the Atlantic (probably due to the high expected to push Irma north).
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Johnny Mac wrote:
I understand it's a month away, but I'm actually concerned the FIU game will be moved.
FIU is playing their 'home' game in Birmingham this weekend. Miami cancelled their away game at Arkansas State?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TU77CAL82 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
I understand it's a month away, but I'm actually concerned the FIU game will be moved.
FIU is playing their 'home' game in Birmingham this weekend. Miami cancelled their away game at Arkansas State?
Burying the lede...Miami is playing at Arkansas State?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TU77CAL82 wrote:Miami cancelled their away game at Arkansas State?
Maybe they actually think it's prudent that the players pack up their stuff and get it out of there rather than going off to play a game?
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:Miami cancelled their away game at Arkansas State?
Maybe they actually think it's prudent that the players pack up their stuff and get it out of there rather than going off to play a game?
That's just crazy talk....
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I'm sorry to stop the mass Mrs. Reverend Lovejoy impression but the "why can't they play the game" crowd is right. Leave early, stay late. There is plenty of time and space to see what will happen with this storm. But we have to always be topping ourselves in long-distance concern-trolling.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

long green wrote:I'm sorry to stop the mass Mrs. Reverend Lovejoy impression but the "why can't they play the game" crowd is right. Leave early, stay late. There is plenty of time and space to see what will happen with this storm. But we have to always be topping ourselves in long-distance concern-trolling.
Totally agree. If the storm actually comes to where I live, it won't get here before Tuesday or Wednesday at the earliest, but in the past 7 hours I've gotten 7 phone calls from friends and family, inquiring as to how we're making out with the hurricane. Plus a passel of emails and texts.

The news media have GOT TO STOP the hype fest. They claim it's a "public service" to give "ample" warning, but it's really just to scare folks and keep them tuned in. :roll:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

If I weren't on my phone and it weren't such a bother, I'd give you a captain obvious meme. :lol:
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

PeteRasche wrote:If I weren't on my phone and it weren't such a bother, I'd give you a captain obvious meme. :lol:
The tragedy of our times is that this is a valid and understandable excuse. God help us.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I've grown to really like David Bernard who I think is turning out to be the best knowledgeable and calm weather prognosticator we have. And this is what he has to say to us:

"1. We are not in the 5 day forecast cone. Not even close
2. There are no watches and warnings for our area
3. There is no discussion of any pending evacuations
4. There are no reliable computer models that bring the storm here"

so we should just relax and enjoy this glorious cool (for us in September) weather
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

GreenieBacker, I don't think anyone is (much at all) concerned with it hitting New Orleans. Roller's not there, ya know.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Pete, I'm aware Roller is not here. But since you don't live here either you might be surprised at the level of anxiety people were feeling over this storm. And Irma had been tracking, slowly, ever westward. Which had a number of us concerned since Katrina did the same thing. It wasn't until last night that we saw the first move back toward the East. And poor Florida.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

And now USF and UConn are in talks about cancelling or moving up game time for the game in East Hartford.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

TU77CAL82 wrote:And now USF and UConn are in talks about cancelling or moving up game time for the game in East Hartford.
The "I Care So Hard" arms race is off and running.