You probably wouldn't expect something like this here, but..

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

You probably wouldn't expect something like this here, but..

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Check out the video below...and enjoy.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: You probably wouldn't expect something like this here, b

Post by TUPF »

I must confess, the only time I have seen the northern lights has been through a periscope. And they were spectacular.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

I haven't seen them in person. But came close. When we were heading to Anchorage on the last day of our cruise tour in '15 we were told that they appeared there the night before. Well, I woke up about 1:30AM the next morning and I immediately went and opened the curtains. Nothing happening in the sky although it was clear. I stayed awake about two hours after that hoping to see them but they didn't show. :( That was my best chance to date.

Fan since'54
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

The first time I saw them through a periscope at night I was terrified. Understand that when you are rising up to periscope depth with no reported sonar contacts, by procedure you do a quick 360 degree sweep of the horizon to look for close visual contacts. The reason is that due to the way sound rays bend in the ocean that it is possible for a close contact not to be heard until changing depth.

So, I do a quick sweep of the horizon and I see what I think is a green light—the color of a starboard running light on a ship. I am just about ready to order EMERGENCY DEEP when I spin around and look again and it registers that what I am really seeing is green light in the sky. Pretty but that first look caused heart palpitations! :razz:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Saw them when I was maybe 6 or 7. Was living in Maine and my parents came and woke up me and my brothers to see it. Honestly remember that more than actually seeing the lights!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

gerryb323 wrote:Saw them when I was maybe 6 or 7. Was living in Maine and my parents came and woke up me and my brothers to see it. Honestly remember that more than actually seeing the lights!
I have a similar experience with Haley's comet. I remeber the observatory but not the actual comet.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

I remember watching the news one evening (in New Orleans) in the '80's and they were talking about those weird lights in the sky the previous night. They identified them as the northern lights. Said that it was extremely rare for them to be seen this far south. Oh, yea, I didn't see them that time either. :roll:

FS'54