Need urgent Tuesday brunch recommendations

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Need urgent Tuesday brunch recommendations

Post by TUPF »

Want something nice but either in or near the Quarter for myself and my daughter. Great food, ambience in that order. I know Brennan’s is the tourist spot but I have honestly never been. Would consider Commanders if nothing else comes to mind from you guys.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
sr
Regent's Circle

Re: Need urgent Tuesday brunch recommendations

Post by sr »

TUPF wrote:Want something nice but either in or near the Quarter for myself and my daughter. Great food, ambience in that order. I know Brennan’s is the tourist spot but I have honestly never been. Would consider Commanders if nothing else comes to mind from you guys.
Brennan's has had a complete redo. Ralph Brennan now has control and spent a bundle. Commanders would be my choice between the two. Galatoire's would be my top choice for arriving around 11 and leaving 3'ish. Only problem is getting a reservation. Need to have a local (with a waiter contact) make a reservation for you 'cause you want to sit downstairs.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Thanks. My daughter has a tight rehearsal schedule so I was actually thinking about Brennan's due to hotel proximity.

Heard anything about Café Amelie?
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

I tried Cafe Amelie for lunch a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it. I had shrimp and grits, but I don’t remember the menu being a brunch menu. Mostly lunch items.

I usually opt for Muriel’s in the quarter. Though on a Tuesday that’s probably largely a lunch menu too. I remember seeing a couple brunch items on it Friday. But then the power went out, which severely limited our choices.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Thanks, guys.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Is Court of Two Sisters still in existence? They did a great jazz brunch back in the day (and were a big supporter of Tulane athletics!), but I admit I have no idea if they survived even past Katrina 12 years ago.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Yes it's still open. It's a buffet and you'll get all kinds there, so not as fancy as the above-mentioned. But they do brunch daily and have a live jazz band and the food is good, especially considering it's a buffet
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

MattK wrote:I tried Cafe Amelie for lunch a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it. I had shrimp and grits, but I don’t remember the menu being a brunch menu. Mostly lunch items.

I usually opt for Muriel’s in the quarter. Though on a Tuesday that’s probably largely a lunch menu too. I remember seeing a couple brunch items on it Friday. But then the power went out, which severely limited our choices.
Café Amelie and Muriel's are both good. I would lean towards Café Amelie but if Muriel's is closer to the hotel it's close enough that I would opt for it.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

sr wrote:
TUPF wrote:Want something nice but either in or near the Quarter for myself and my daughter. Great food, ambience in that order. I know Brennan’s is the tourist spot but I have honestly never been. Would consider Commanders if nothing else comes to mind from you guys.
Brennan's has had a complete redo. Ralph Brennan now has control and spent a bundle. Commanders would be my choice between the two. Galatoire's would be my top choice for arriving around 11 and leaving 3'ish. Only problem is getting a reservation. Need to have a local (with a waiter contact) make a reservation for you 'cause you want to sit downstairs.
I think you're ok to walk in cold to Galatoire's on a Tuesday at 11.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

ml wave wrote:
sr wrote:
Assuming he has a time machine :lol:
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
sr wrote:
Assuming he has a time machine :lol:
Or they added a REALLY late brunch.... :lol:

BTW, TUPF, where did you end up and how was it?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Brennan’s. Main dining room. My daughter was in awe and this is someone who has soloed at the Hollywood Bowl in front of 18,000.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

TUPF wrote:Brennan’s. Main dining room. My daughter was in awe and this is someone who has soloed at the Hollywood Bowl in front of 18,000.
As I mentioned Ralph spent a ton on the renovations and has created a beautiful new Brennan's. He uncovered fireplaces that had been walled-over and created a 'plaid' chess room upstairs in honor of Paul Morphy who lived there in the 1800's and was a chess prodigy.