40 years ago...Saturday Night Fever

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: 40 years ago...Saturday Night Fever

Post by PeteRasche »

Fan Since '54 wrote:Another movie that came out in '77 was Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Two iconic movies that year.
Yeah, there were only TWO.

10 million fanboys would like to remind you of another little movie that came out on May 25th of that year. It did kinda alright. In fact, it has its own thread here and there's another installment of the series in theaters right now, and while being out for about a month it's already well past $1 BILLION worldwide.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Star Wars. Okay I get that. I didn't really think of it because I absolutely hated that movie. In fact I walked out on it. Probably the only one who ever did that. I have never liked what I call "techno" movies. There are a few of that type which I have enjoyed, but I can probably count them on one hand. Give me a movie with real people in real life situations and I'm on board. Which pretty much eliminates "fantasy" movies also. As a genre my favorite type of movies are "lawyer" movies (thank you John Grisham for your body of work there), of which "Primal Fear" is my all time favorite. Edward Norton was absolutely spectacular in that movie.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I am not a FanBoy of the Star Wars genre. Can honestly say that after the first few movies ending with the silky Ewoks, I have not seen another of the more recent prequels.

However, FS ‘54, i would encourage you to rethink dismissal solely to to techno geek misgivings. At its core, at least the first couple of SW movies were a storyline as old as storylines: good versus evil. In that respect they are no different than any of the John Wayne movies or a million other Westerns or cops and robbers movies. I think of Star Wars as dressed up Saturday matinees from the 50s. You know that it may take awhile, but the good guys usually win.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:I am not a FanBoy of the Star Wars genre. Can honestly say that after the first few movies ending with the silky Ewoks, I have not seen another of the more recent prequels.

However, FS ‘54, i would encourage you to rethink dismissal solely to to techno geek misgivings. At its core, at least the first couple of SW movies were a storyline as old as storylines: good versus evil. In that respect they are no different than any of the John Wayne movies or a million other Westerns or cops and robbers movies. I think of Star Wars as dressed up Saturday matinees from the 50s. You know that it may take awhile, but the good guys usually win.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Windy :lol:

And I noticed I let “silky Ewoks” slip by when I meant to write silly.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

BTW, the movie in the OP is streaming on Amazon Prime now if you have that.

Wouldn't mind seeing Close Encounters either but they don't have that one.
Victory is never permanent
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Look, it's all in perspective of the time you grew up in, who your friends were, and what clicked. Loved Star Wars, Star Trek, not so much.

But I will say I can often get into the Classic movies, especially anything with the Rat Pack, Jimmy Stewart, Gregory Peck, and many others from that era. So it can cross generations, but more than likely easier to cross back in time than forward.
Bring home da Wave!