Top speeding tickets in Texas for 2017 --

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
sr
Regent's Circle

Top speeding tickets in Texas for 2017 --

Post by sr »

Below are the speeds, locations, and vehicles involved in the twenty fastest speeding tickets in Texas in 2017. Almost three-fourths of the speeders were riding sportbikes (which some troopers knew enough about to list specific models), while the rest were rocking the kind of American muscle you always imagine screaming down a dusty Texas highway into the sunset—except for one intrepid soul in a BMW i8.
#20: 139 mph in a 75 mph zone
Road: I-20 in Eastland County
Ride: Red 2007 Suzuki motorcycle

#19: 140 mph in a 65 mph zone
Road: I-10 in Bexar County
Ride: Blue 2008 Honda CBR

#18: 140 mph in a 65 mph zone
Ride: Black 2008 Yamaha motorcycle

#17: 140 mph in a 60 mph zone
Road: SP-601 in El Paso County
Ride: 2015 Aprilia RSV

#16: 140 mph in a 50 mph zone
Road: Custer Road in Collin County
Ride: 2015 Ford Mustang

#15: 143 mph in a 75 mph zone
Road: US-90 in Coryell County
Ride: Black 2013 Kawasaki motorcycle

#14: 143 mph in an 80 mph zone
Road: TW-130 service road in Williamson County
Ride: Black 2014 BMW i8

#13: 144 mph in a 75 mph zone
Road: US-190 in Coryell County
Ride: Blue 2015 Suzuki motorcycle

#12: 144 mph in a 75 mph zone
Ride: Green 2016 Yamaha motorcycle

#11: 145 mph in a 75 mph zone
Road: SH-6 in Falls County
Ride: Red 2009 Pontiac G8 GT

#10: 146 mph in a 65 mph zone
Road: SH-67 in Johnson County
Ride: White 2017 Chevrolet Corvette

#9: 149 mph in a 75 mph zone
Road: SH-70 in Fisher County
Ride: White 2017 Suzuki GSX

#8: 150 mph in a 70 mph zone
Road: I-35 in Hays County
Ride: Blue 2009 Suzuki GSF

#7: 155 mph in a 75 mph zone
Road: US-81 in Wise County
Ride: Black 2016 Kawasaki 800

#6: 156 mph in a 75 mph zone
Road: I-40 in Carson County
Ride: Red 2016 Chevrolet (no model listed)

#5: 156 mph in a 70 mph zone
Road: SH-195 in Williamson County
Ride: Black 2006 Suzuki GSX

#4: 156 mph in a 70 mph zone
Ride: 2014 Chevrolet SS

#3: 160 mph in a 75 mph zone
Road: SH-44 in Nueces County
Ride: Red 2006 Suzuki motorcycle

#2: 160 mph in a 55 mph zone
Road: I-45 in Galveston County
Ride: Silver 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8

#1: 181 mph in a 75 mph zone
Ride: Red 2012 Honda CBR1000
doncecco
President's Circle

Re: Top speeding tickets in Texas for 2017 --

Post by doncecco »

If you're going 140-180 on a bike, and you hit a pebble, do they find anything left of you?
Bring home da Wave!
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

sr wrote:
Below are the speeds, locations, and vehicles involved in the twenty fastest speeding tickets in Texas in 2017. Almost three-fourths of the speeders were riding sportbikes (which some troopers knew enough about to list specific models), while the rest were rocking the kind of American muscle you always imagine screaming down a dusty Texas highway into the sunset—except for one intrepid soul in a BMW i8.
#20: 139 mph in a 75 mph zone
Road: I-20 in Eastland County
Ride: Red 2007 Suzuki motorcycle

#19: 140 mph in a 65 mph zone
Ride: Blue 2008 Honda CBR

#18: 140 mph in a 65 mph zone
Ride: Black 2008 Yamaha motorcycle

#17: 140 mph in a 60 mph zone
Road: SP-601 in El Paso County
Ride: 2015 Aprilia RSV

#16: 140 mph in a 50 mph zone
Road: Custer Road in Collin County
Ride: 2015 Ford Mustang

#15: 143 mph in a 75 mph zone
Ride: Black 2013 Kawasaki motorcycle

#14: 143 mph in an 80 mph zone
Road: TW-130 service road in Williamson County
Ride: Black 2014 BMW i8

#13: 144 mph in a 75 mph zone
Ride: Blue 2015 Suzuki motorcycle

#12: 144 mph in a 75 mph zone
Ride: Green 2016 Yamaha motorcycle

#11: 145 mph in a 75 mph zone
Road: SH-6 in Falls County
Ride: Red 2009 Pontiac G8 GT

#10: 146 mph in a 65 mph zone
Road: SH-67 in Johnson County
Ride: White 2017 Chevrolet Corvette

#9: 149 mph in a 75 mph zone
Road: SH-70 in Fisher County
Ride: White 2017 Suzuki GSX

#8: 150 mph in a 70 mph zone
Road: I-35 in Hays County
Ride: Blue 2009 Suzuki GSF

#7: 155 mph in a 75 mph zone
Road: US-81 in Wise County
Ride: Black 2016 Kawasaki 800

#6: 156 mph in a 75 mph zone
Road: I-40 in Carson County
Ride: Red 2016 Chevrolet (no model listed)

#5: 156 mph in a 70 mph zone
Ride: Black 2006 Suzuki GSX

#4: 156 mph in a 70 mph zone
Ride: 2014 Chevrolet SS

#3: 160 mph in a 75 mph zone
Road: SH-44 in Nueces County
Ride: Red 2006 Suzuki motorcycle

#2: 160 mph in a 55 mph zone
Road: I-45 in Galveston County
Ride: Silver 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8

#1: 181 mph in a 75 mph zone
Ride: Red 2012 Honda CBR1000
Dust Storm Creators :!: :!: :green wink:
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Remembering back a few years - my dad had kept his '56 Olds - red leather seats with AC. Great 'Drive-In' car. Unfortunate for him, he kept it long enough for me to get my license. My girlfriend lived out by the old Westgate Drive-In in Jefferson Parish and back in the day there were long stretches of Veterans Blvd. with few lights. Sixteen years old with a naturally carbureted 4 barrel Rochester carb gas V8 engine... The old Olds got up to 121. 8)

How fast have you driven your dad's favorite car??
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

A little over a decade ago, my wife and I went to visit friends in Vail, CO, then drove up to her dad's ranch outside of Casper, WY. Some of the roads between Vail and Casper are literally straight out of TV and movies, where you'd come over a rise and there would be nothing on either side except tumbleweeds blowing across plains and your two-lane road in a straight line to the horizon. We made the drive on a weekday so there was virtually no traffic out there, either. We had a rental Chevy Impala, and discovered the governor was set at 110 mph. However, having never felt the effects of an engine governor before, I thought I'd blown the engine or transmission or something, and was sorta freaking out because we were in the middle of nowhere, no cell service, no other cars, nothing. Luckily I found it just kicked us back to about 70 mph and kept running...

After that, we set the cruise control at about 97 mph for about an hour and only had to slow once or twice when another car came over the horizon (until we were sure it wasn't a cop). Her dad couldn't believe how we made it to his place so quickly...
:angel:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Back in the day there was a speed trap on whatever Interstate Highway runs just outside of Laramie. Wyoming. Cops set up as the highway takes a down incline. Got caught driving from Idaho to the East Coast probably doing 100. Sheriff Buford made me drive into town and pay the fine on the spot lest I spend the weekend in jail. Biggest racket ever.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

doncecco wrote:If you're going 140-180 on a bike, and you hit a pebble, do they find anything left of you?
well, they do find the pebble
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

TUPF wrote:Back in the day there was a speed trap on whatever Interstate Highway runs just outside of Laramie. Wyoming. Cops set up as the highway takes a down incline. Got caught driving from Idaho to the East Coast probably doing 100. Sheriff Buford made me drive into town and pay the fine on the spot lest I spend the weekend in jail. Biggest racket ever.
years ago, south Georgia counties used to have a field day with people coming back from Florida vacations... hiding behind billboards, hitting people with instant fines like you say... pretty crooked shinola... anyway, some county police force made the mistake of pulling over a state representative one year... so there was a bill introduced and passed soon after that gave drivers sort of a "bill of rights" to combat the marginally crooked speed traps. I used to have the actual code written on the back of my license if I had ever needed it... in essence this is what the law is in Georgia, and I summarize:

- no city, county or campus police officer can issue a speeding ticket for less than 10 mph over the posted limit (exceptions are 35 MPH zones and below and school zones)... so basically only Ga State Patrol can give you a ticket for 1 MPH over.. but they don't because it would most likely get tossed.

- a motorist has the right to know when the speed detection device used was last calibrated for accuracy and must be presented the certificate of said calibration upon request.. counties have to post that they use speed detection devices

- speed traps have to be more than 500 feet after a reduction in speed limit

- motorist has to be able to see the officer recording his speed from 500 feet

- you cannot be issued a citation for going down a certain percentage grade downhill... I forget the figure, but it's not like it has to be a cliff
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

There was an idea floated in Louisiana (which, sadly, didn't get passed, I don't think) that would have solved the speed trap issue. It simply stated that ALL monies from any ticket for going less than 10 over the speed limit went to the state (the agency writing the ticket could write it, but they would get NOTHING back from it). I thought it was a very clever idea; it would let a ticket get written if the person really deserved it or if the city had an actual safety issue with marginal speeding, but removed all motivation for doing it to raise money.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

GretnaGrn wrote:There was an idea floated in Louisiana (which, sadly, didn't get passed, I don't think) that would have solved the speed trap issue. It simply stated that ALL monies from any ticket for going less than 10 over the speed limit went to the state (the agency writing the ticket could write it, but they would get NOTHING back from it). I thought it was a very clever idea; it would let a ticket get written if the person really deserved it or if the city had an actual safety issue with marginal speeding, but removed all motivation for doing it to raise money.
That is a great idea. I'd also like something along the lines of that for civil forfeiture
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Johnny Mac wrote:
doncecco wrote:If you're going 140-180 on a bike, and you hit a pebble, do they find anything left of you?
well, they do find the pebble
When I was an undergrad I spent two summers working in a renal transplant lab; in a two week period we harvested kidneys from two donors that were within 1 year of my age as a result of motorcycle accidents.

At that speed there would simply be one long, red streak left, not much else.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

windywave wrote:That is a great idea. I'd also like something along the lines of that for civil forfeiture
That would completely eliminate civil forfeiture... only reason cops are robbing citizens is to split the cash and not have to give it back. They need to make it "make the conviction, keep the cash"... so many civil forfeiture cases never get charged with crimes, let alone get convicted. If you strip all of the organizations in civil forfeiture cases, they will stop going after the big drug dealers because there's no incentive.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:That is a great idea. I'd also like something along the lines of that for civil forfeiture
That would completely eliminate civil forfeiture.
And.....

Civil forfeiture laws are a un-American. If you are convicted of a felony it's no longer a civil forfeiture BTW. The burden is switched to the citizen to prove the asset is not related to a crime.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Johnny Mac wrote:
That would completely eliminate civil forfeiture... only reason cops are robbing citizens is to split the cash and not have to give it back. They need to make it "make the conviction, keep the cash"... so many civil forfeiture cases never get charged with crimes, let alone get convicted. If you strip all of the organizations in civil forfeiture cases, they will stop going after the big drug dealers because there's no incentive.
I actually clerked for a professor who was an expert in civil forfeiture when I was in law school. It's an insane, thinly-veiled form of theft. It's a civil proceeding, with the lesser standard of proof, and no arrest (much less conviction) is often the case. The legal gymnastics that were required to make it purportedly Constitutional are stunning.