NY Times "52 Places To Go in 2018"

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

NY Times "52 Places To Go in 2018"

Post by PeteRasche »

I'm not saying Tulane football is going to be a draw this year, but it's awfully coincidental that New Orleans is the number one place to go in the world and Cincinnati is number eight... The only two American cities in the top ten. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... visit.html

Or, wait... Maybe it's the Saints. They play in both Cincinnati and Baltimore this coming year (the only American cities besides New Orleans in the top twenty)...
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: NY Times "52 Places To Go in 2018"

Post by WaveProf »

Montgomery Alabama?!? Scratches head
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Yeah these are all "places to go" not "places to live."
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Poseidon wrote:Yeah these are all "places to go" not "places to live."
In med school I had a roommate who told me “half the world lives in New York, the other half wish they did.” His view of New Orleans was of marlin Brando getting off the streetcar.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

AO Sig wrote:In med school I had a roommate who told me “half the world lives in New York, the other half wish they did.” His view of New Orleans was of marlin Brando getting off the streetcar.
I'd like to think the internet has helped eliminate that, as people with such narrow world views can sit on their couch and see that there are interesting things that happen elsewhere.

Of course you can also argue in the same way that it's made "generic" things that make cities unique... For instance, anyone can find dozens of recipes for King Cakes online and make one in, say, August, because "it looks yummy", without having visited New Orleans, known anyone there, learned about Mardi Gras traditions, or even knowing why the sugar on top is purple, gold, and green.