The Madness of Daylight Saving Time

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: The Madness of Daylight Saving Time

Post by PeteRasche »

Roller wrote:And then there is India. The entire country observes the same time, and since India traverses what would normally be two time zones, their clocks are ½ hour off everyone else' "grid."

We could do that in the U.S. if we wanted to--just set all the clocks, coast to coast, to a time that is halfway between Central and Mountain, or UTC+6½. That would screw up everyone's sensibilities, but at least the Pacific coast would not have to tune in at 10:00 am for an NFL game.
You go right ahead and enjoy that 3:30 pm nightfall in the winter, east coaster.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

One great aspect of YOGWF - you can change the time to whatever you want. 8) Have at it.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I was lector and eucharistic minister at the 8 am mass this morning (the other scheduled lector did not make it, so I did both readings and the responsorial psalm). At the end of the mass our priest announced that he has found somewhere in Canon Law that those who make it to the early mass the Sunday after switch to Daylight Saving times qualify for extra grace... Anything I can to help me out...
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Until I retired a couple of years ago I flew all over the world and I took the time zone changes, sometimes as much as 14 hours, in stride. Now we mess around with one hour change and my butt is dragging all day. :oops:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

AO Sig wrote:I was lector and eucharistic minister at the 8 am mass this morning (the other scheduled lector did not make it, so I did both readings and the responsorial psalm). At the end of the mass our priest announced that he has found somewhere in Canon Law that those who make it to the early mass the Sunday after switch to Daylight Saving times qualify for extra grace... Anything I can to help me out...
I got an extra 30 mins over you then - just in case St. Peter closes up early.... :lol:
Bring home da Wave!
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

to the assclowns who want daylight savings year 'round... guess you'll enjoy that 9am sunrise in December, driving to work every morning in pitch black as kids stand perilously at their bus stops... I dropped my daughter off at school today just before sunrise (and there are elementary schools near us that start 1 hour earlier than hers)... and we are 10 days from the equinox
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote:to the assclowns who want daylight savings year 'round... guess you'll enjoy that 9am sunrise in December, driving to work every morning in pitch black as kids stand perilously at their bus stops... I dropped my daughter off at school today just before sunrise (and there are elementary schools near us that start 1 hour earlier than hers)... and we are 10 days from the equinox
I agree. Standard time all the time
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

gerryb323 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:to the assclowns who want daylight savings year 'round... guess you'll enjoy that 9am sunrise in December, driving to work every morning in pitch black as kids stand perilously at their bus stops... I dropped my daughter off at school today just before sunrise (and there are elementary schools near us that start 1 hour earlier than hers)... and we are 10 days from the equinox
I think it’s situational for what stage of life you are in.

Carefree pre-kids stage loving daylight after work = DST

Kids at bus stops stage = Standard Time

Retired sleep late, drive late = DST

Thus, there will never be a solution which pleases everyone all the time. It will stay the way it is such that someone is always complaining.

:wink:
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Thus, there will never be a solution which pleases everyone all the time. It will stay the way it is such that someone is always complaining.

So, like everything else then?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

So, like everything else then?
Yup, but when I think about it, the kids at bus stop stage is only about 10 years max, even for helicopter parents. The rest of your life is hopefully much longer. When I worked long hours I hated going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark.

So if I were king I’d leave it at DST year round knowing the helicopter parents will be there with Isabella and Brandon no matter what I do with the clocks. 8)
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

I really don't care, so long as the broadcast industry, stores, and every other vendor I have to deal with, set their hours so that it's convenient for me. I don't want to still be watching a football game at midnight, I don't wish to have to get my morning rituals done in time to tune in at noon.

All I want is to leave the clocks alone and let the merchants reset their times as it suits their bottom line.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I'll happily take 9 AM sunrises in winter so long as I can have DST year round. Not even close. And yes I have a 6 year old.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

If we went to permanent DST, the latest the sun would rise in New Orleans is 7:57. The earliest it would set is 6:00.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

From the common perspective as fans of Tulane football. For the September home games the sun going down a hour earlier helps. When we are sitting in the sweltering stadium August 29 against FIU we will being wishing for ST which would have the sun setting before the game begins.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

OGSB wrote:If we went to permanent DST, the latest the sun would rise in New Orleans is 7:57. The earliest it would set is 6:00.
sunrise on first day of winter in Charlotte would be 830am.. Atlanta would have a roughly 9am sunrise... the western cities in time zones would get it the worst.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Johnny Mac wrote:
OGSB wrote:If we went to permanent DST, the latest the sun would rise in New Orleans is 7:57. The earliest it would set is 6:00.
sunrise on first day of winter in Charlotte would be 830am.. Atlanta would have a roughly 9am sunrise... the western cities in time zones would get it the worst.
I don’t know what your work schedule is like, but when I worked I was usually driving in to work in the dark anyway. Inport Navy days I was on the boat by 6am; afterwards at GE or later Lockheed Martin by 7:30 am, so my commute was always in the dark or at best twilight. It didn’t matter what time sunrise was because I was already well into my workday regardless. It’s the coming out of work that mattered to me. And since most of us here are/were professionals that meant 5pm, 6pm, 7pm, or later. That was the depressing time for me to already be dark. That’s when I felt like, as the Japanese put it, salaryman.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Beating my dead horse:
It's not the time that the clocks portray when the sun rises or sets that matters. It's where the sun is in the sky as you do the things you need/want to do. The clock is merely a convention. If the sun rises at 10:00 PM, then it only matters that you need to report to work at midnight and the kid's school starts at 1:00 AM.

I maintain that it is more disruptive to make everyone change their clocks than it would be to deal with having to do daylight activities in the dark. Alaska and Lapland do it routinely.

Set the London clocks at 12:00 noon in Greenwich Local Apparent Noon, and set the other clocks around the world based upon how far east or west they are (tweaked into zones, like we do). In other words, the conversion of local time to GMT should be a constant, never changing factor, and it should be a geographical procedure, not based upon whether the kids are at the bus stop in the dark (that's the fault of the school board that sets the school hours).
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Roller wrote:Beating my dead horse:
It's not the time that the clocks portray when the sun rises or sets that matters. It's where the sun is in the sky as you do the things you need/want to do. The clock is merely a convention. If the sun rises at 10:00 PM, then it only matters that you need to report to work at midnight and the kid's school starts at 1:00 AM.

I maintain that it is more disruptive to make everyone change their clocks than it would be to deal with having to do daylight activities in the dark. Alaska and Lapland do it routinely.

Set the London clocks at 12:00 noon in Greenwich Local Apparent Noon, and set the other clocks around the world based upon how far east or west they are (tweaked into zones, like we do). In other words, the conversion of local time to GMT should be a constant, never changing factor, and it should be a geographical procedure, not based upon whether the kids are at the bus stop in the dark (that's the fault of the school board that sets the school hours).
The kids at the bus stop thing is bass ackwords. The schools should change the time they start. If noon isn't midday then what is the point.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

The previous two nailed it.

Call me a simpleton, but “high noon” should occur when the sun is “highest” in the sky (at least approximately).
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

And if your kids happen to be hanging around my house at 8 in the afternoon —-they should “ Get off my lawn!”
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Ditch the switch? Call to go on permanent daylight saving time grows
But delayed sunrises can be problematic, Prerau said, adding that an experiment with year-round daylight time in the 1970s was “very, very unpopular.”

“People didn’t like waking up in the dark, going to work in the dark, and especially didn’t like sending their kids to school in the dark on dark city streets or standing on the side of rural roads,” he said. “There was a strong negative reaction.”

Nonetheless, so far, legislation to go on year-round daylight saving time has passed in at least seven states, including Delaware, Maine and Tennessee this year, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Oregon was the most recent, approving year-round daylight saving on June 17.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

OGSB wrote:Ditch the switch? Call to go on permanent daylight saving time grows
But delayed sunrises can be problematic, Prerau said, adding that an experiment with year-round daylight time in the 1970s was “very, very unpopular.”

“People didn’t like waking up in the dark, going to work in the dark, and especially didn’t like sending their kids to school in the dark on dark city streets or standing on the side of rural roads,” he said. “There was a strong negative reaction.”

Nonetheless, so far, legislation to go on year-round daylight saving time has passed in at least seven states, including Delaware, Maine and Tennessee this year, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Oregon was the most recent, approving year-round daylight saving on June 17.
As a recent retiree who would love the morning to be dark as I sleep late, and who wants to play outside well into the evening, I heartily approve.

Which is why it will never happen. :razz:
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

South Carolina passed it.. contingent on it becoming a federal mandate.. which will probably never happen... well, hopefully will never happen. I found it interesting that South Carolina passed it but North Carolina hadn't brought it to a vote yet... had it gone into effect when SC passed it, I would traverse into another time zone multiple times per day, for months out of the year. I live 1 mile from the SC border. A very large number of Charlotte area workers live in SC... could you imagine it being 8am at your house, but 7am where you need to work... then when you leave work at 6PM, it's already 7PM at your house.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Don't forget to set your clocks back!