Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:43 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 22805
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Roller wrote:
And then there is India. The entire country observes the same time, and since India traverses what would normally be two time zones, their clocks are ½ hour off everyone else' "grid."

We could do that in the U.S. if we wanted to--just set all the clocks, coast to coast, to a time that is halfway between Central and Mountain, or UTC+6½. That would screw up everyone's sensibilities, but at least the Pacific coast would not have to tune in at 10:00 am for an NFL game.

You go right ahead and enjoy that 3:30 pm nightfall in the winter, east coaster.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:32 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 16490
Image

_________________
Past performance is no guarantee of future results


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:47 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 7995
Location: Dripping Springs
One great aspect of YOGWF - you can change the time to whatever you want. 8) Have at it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:37 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 7931
Location: Kingsport, Tennessee
I was lector and eucharistic minister at the 8 am mass this morning (the other scheduled lector did not make it, so I did both readings and the responsorial psalm). At the end of the mass our priest announced that he has found somewhere in Canon Law that those who make it to the early mass the Sunday after switch to Daylight Saving times qualify for extra grace... Anything I can to help me out...

_________________
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:39 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 19852
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Until I retired a couple of years ago I flew all over the world and I took the time zone changes, sometimes as much as 14 hours, in stride. Now we mess around with one hour change and my butt is dragging all day. :oops:

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:44 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:37 pm
Posts: 3555
Location: North Haven, CT
AO Sig wrote:
I was lector and eucharistic minister at the 8 am mass this morning (the other scheduled lector did not make it, so I did both readings and the responsorial psalm). At the end of the mass our priest announced that he has found somewhere in Canon Law that those who make it to the early mass the Sunday after switch to Daylight Saving times qualify for extra grace... Anything I can to help me out...


I got an extra 30 mins over you then - just in case St. Peter closes up early.... :lol:

_________________
Bring home da Wave!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:59 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 8324
Location: Charlotte
to the assclowns who want daylight savings year 'round... guess you'll enjoy that 9am sunrise in December, driving to work every morning in pitch black as kids stand perilously at their bus stops... I dropped my daughter off at school today just before sunrise (and there are elementary schools near us that start 1 hour earlier than hers)... and we are 10 days from the equinox

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:08 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 6684
Location: Wichita
Johnny Mac wrote:
to the assclowns who want daylight savings year 'round... guess you'll enjoy that 9am sunrise in December, driving to work every morning in pitch black as kids stand perilously at their bus stops... I dropped my daughter off at school today just before sunrise (and there are elementary schools near us that start 1 hour earlier than hers)... and we are 10 days from the equinox

I agree. Standard time all the time

_________________
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:01 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 19852
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
gerryb323 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
to the assclowns who want daylight savings year 'round... guess you'll enjoy that 9am sunrise in December, driving to work every morning in pitch black as kids stand perilously at their bus stops... I dropped my daughter off at school today just before sunrise (and there are elementary schools near us that start 1 hour earlier than hers)... and we are 10 days from the equinox

I agree. Standard time all the time
I think it’s situational for what stage of life you are in.

Carefree pre-kids stage loving daylight after work = DST

Kids at bus stops stage = Standard Time

Retired sleep late, drive late = DST

Thus, there will never be a solution which pleases everyone all the time. It will stay the way it is such that someone is always complaining.

:wink:

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:33 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10846
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
to the assclowns who want daylight savings year 'round... guess you'll enjoy that 9am sunrise in December, driving to work every morning in pitch black as kids stand perilously at their bus stops... I dropped my daughter off at school today just before sunrise (and there are elementary schools near us that start 1 hour earlier than hers)... and we are 10 days from the equinox

I agree. Standard time all the time
I think it’s situational for what stage of life you are in.

Carefree pre-kids stage loving daylight after work = DST

Kids at bus stops stage = Standard Time

Retired sleep late, drive late = DST

Thus, there will never be a solution which pleases everyone all the time. It will stay the way it is such that someone is always complaining.

:wink:
So, like everything else then?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:25 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 19852
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
to the assclowns who want daylight savings year 'round... guess you'll enjoy that 9am sunrise in December, driving to work every morning in pitch black as kids stand perilously at their bus stops... I dropped my daughter off at school today just before sunrise (and there are elementary schools near us that start 1 hour earlier than hers)... and we are 10 days from the equinox

I agree. Standard time all the time
I think it’s situational for what stage of life you are in.

Carefree pre-kids stage loving daylight after work = DST

Kids at bus stops stage = Standard Time

Retired sleep late, drive late = DST

Thus, there will never be a solution which pleases everyone all the time. It will stay the way it is such that someone is always complaining.

:wink:
So, like everything else then?
Yup, but when I think about it, the kids at bus stop stage is only about 10 years max, even for helicopter parents. The rest of your life is hopefully much longer. When I worked long hours I hated going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark.

So if I were king I’d leave it at DST year round knowing the helicopter parents will be there with Isabella and Brandon no matter what I do with the clocks. 8)

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:32 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 32298
Location: 30°37'40.6"N 81°27'02.4"W
I really don't care, so long as the broadcast industry, stores, and every other vendor I have to deal with, set their hours so that it's convenient for me. I don't want to still be watching a football game at midnight, I don't wish to have to get my morning rituals done in time to tune in at noon.

All I want is to leave the clocks alone and let the merchants reset their times as it suits their bottom line.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:24 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 22079
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
I'll happily take 9 AM sunrises in winter so long as I can have DST year round. Not even close. And yes I have a 6 year old.

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:35 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 16490
If we went to permanent DST, the latest the sun would rise in New Orleans is 7:57. The earliest it would set is 6:00.

_________________
Past performance is no guarantee of future results


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:20 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 3392
Location: Baton Rouge
From the common perspective as fans of Tulane football. For the September home games the sun going down a hour earlier helps. When we are sitting in the sweltering stadium August 29 against FIU we will being wishing for ST which would have the sun setting before the game begins.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:19 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 8324
Location: Charlotte
OGSB wrote:
If we went to permanent DST, the latest the sun would rise in New Orleans is 7:57. The earliest it would set is 6:00.


sunrise on first day of winter in Charlotte would be 830am.. Atlanta would have a roughly 9am sunrise... the western cities in time zones would get it the worst.

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:44 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 19852
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Johnny Mac wrote:
OGSB wrote:
If we went to permanent DST, the latest the sun would rise in New Orleans is 7:57. The earliest it would set is 6:00.


sunrise on first day of winter in Charlotte would be 830am.. Atlanta would have a roughly 9am sunrise... the western cities in time zones would get it the worst.

I don’t know what your work schedule is like, but when I worked I was usually driving in to work in the dark anyway. Inport Navy days I was on the boat by 6am; afterwards at GE or later Lockheed Martin by 7:30 am, so my commute was always in the dark or at best twilight. It didn’t matter what time sunrise was because I was already well into my workday regardless. It’s the coming out of work that mattered to me. And since most of us here are/were professionals that meant 5pm, 6pm, 7pm, or later. That was the depressing time for me to already be dark. That’s when I felt like, as the Japanese put it, salaryman.

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:03 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 32298
Location: 30°37'40.6"N 81°27'02.4"W
Beating my dead horse:
It's not the time that the clocks portray when the sun rises or sets that matters. It's where the sun is in the sky as you do the things you need/want to do. The clock is merely a convention. If the sun rises at 10:00 PM, then it only matters that you need to report to work at midnight and the kid's school starts at 1:00 AM.

I maintain that it is more disruptive to make everyone change their clocks than it would be to deal with having to do daylight activities in the dark. Alaska and Lapland do it routinely.

Set the London clocks at 12:00 noon in Greenwich Local Apparent Noon, and set the other clocks around the world based upon how far east or west they are (tweaked into zones, like we do). In other words, the conversion of local time to GMT should be a constant, never changing factor, and it should be a geographical procedure, not based upon whether the kids are at the bus stop in the dark (that's the fault of the school board that sets the school hours).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:55 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 3392
Location: Baton Rouge
Roller wrote:
Beating my dead horse:
It's not the time that the clocks portray when the sun rises or sets that matters. It's where the sun is in the sky as you do the things you need/want to do. The clock is merely a convention. If the sun rises at 10:00 PM, then it only matters that you need to report to work at midnight and the kid's school starts at 1:00 AM.

I maintain that it is more disruptive to make everyone change their clocks than it would be to deal with having to do daylight activities in the dark. Alaska and Lapland do it routinely.

Set the London clocks at 12:00 noon in Greenwich Local Apparent Noon, and set the other clocks around the world based upon how far east or west they are (tweaked into zones, like we do). In other words, the conversion of local time to GMT should be a constant, never changing factor, and it should be a geographical procedure, not based upon whether the kids are at the bus stop in the dark (that's the fault of the school board that sets the school hours).


The kids at the bus stop thing is bass ackwords. The schools should change the time they start. If noon isn't midday then what is the point.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:19 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:57 pm
Posts: 10119
Location: Metairie
The previous two nailed it.

Call me a simpleton, but “high noon” should occur when the sun is “highest” in the sky (at least approximately).

_________________
[i]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:21 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:57 pm
Posts: 10119
Location: Metairie
And if your kids happen to be hanging around my house at 8 in the afternoon —-they should “ Get off my lawn!”

_________________
[i]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:54 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 16490
Ditch the switch? Call to go on permanent daylight saving time grows

Quote:
But delayed sunrises can be problematic, Prerau said, adding that an experiment with year-round daylight time in the 1970s was “very, very unpopular.”

“People didn’t like waking up in the dark, going to work in the dark, and especially didn’t like sending their kids to school in the dark on dark city streets or standing on the side of rural roads,” he said. “There was a strong negative reaction.”

Nonetheless, so far, legislation to go on year-round daylight saving time has passed in at least seven states, including Delaware, Maine and Tennessee this year, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Oregon was the most recent, approving year-round daylight saving on June 17.

_________________
Past performance is no guarantee of future results


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:35 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 19852
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
OGSB wrote:
Ditch the switch? Call to go on permanent daylight saving time grows

Quote:
But delayed sunrises can be problematic, Prerau said, adding that an experiment with year-round daylight time in the 1970s was “very, very unpopular.”

“People didn’t like waking up in the dark, going to work in the dark, and especially didn’t like sending their kids to school in the dark on dark city streets or standing on the side of rural roads,” he said. “There was a strong negative reaction.”

Nonetheless, so far, legislation to go on year-round daylight saving time has passed in at least seven states, including Delaware, Maine and Tennessee this year, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Oregon was the most recent, approving year-round daylight saving on June 17.
As a recent retiree who would love the morning to be dark as I sleep late, and who wants to play outside well into the evening, I heartily approve.

Which is why it will never happen. :razz:

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:22 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 8324
Location: Charlotte
South Carolina passed it.. contingent on it becoming a federal mandate.. which will probably never happen... well, hopefully will never happen. I found it interesting that South Carolina passed it but North Carolina hadn't brought it to a vote yet... had it gone into effect when SC passed it, I would traverse into another time zone multiple times per day, for months out of the year. I live 1 mile from the SC border. A very large number of Charlotte area workers live in SC... could you imagine it being 8am at your house, but 7am where you need to work... then when you leave work at 6PM, it's already 7PM at your house.

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:48 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 16490
Image

Don't forget to set your clocks back!

_________________
Past performance is no guarantee of future results


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group