Forget "safe space". How about a "cry closet"?

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Forget "safe space". How about a "cry closet"?

Post by PeteRasche »

I'm just gonna leave this here...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cry-c ... li=BBnb7Kz

Oh yeah, it's got stuffed animals. Of course it does.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Forget "safe space". How about a "cry closet"?

Post by TUPF »

We didn’t need no stinkin’ Cry Closet. The drinking age was 18! :mrgreen:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

My parents were in grade and Junior high school during world war 2. They lived through gas shortages, limitations in travel, having friends who lost fathers, uncles and even brothers fighting in the European and Pacific theatres of operation. I don't recall their schools during WW 2 setting up "crying closets" or "safe spaces" if someone got a bit upset because someone said something that they did not agree with.

College is supposed to prepare students for the real world- careers, being mature adults, etc. I don't have any crying closets for my staff in my office.

My dad had a ton of academic credentials before returning to private practice (where I worked with him for the last 15 years of his life). He said that it used to be that the best and brightest were the ones who inhabited the halls of academe. He said that it had changed, and the halls were full of people who could not survive outside the ivy-covered halls in the real world.

I don't mean to offend those of you on this forum that are at colleges (particularly FW and Waveprof) by saying this pertains to all of them; however, there are an awful lot of people teaching who would fail if they were to venture outside the ivory towers.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Ghostbusters...The Private Sector

https://youtu.be/RjzC1Dgh17A
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

AO Sig wrote:My parents were in grade and Junior high school during world war 2. They lived through gas shortages, limitations in travel, having friends who lost fathers, uncles and even brothers fighting in the European and Pacific theatres of operation. I don't recall their schools during WW 2 setting up "crying closets" or "safe spaces" if someone got a bit upset because someone said something that they did not agree with.

College is supposed to prepare students for the real world- careers, being mature adults, etc. I don't have any crying closets for my staff in my office.
I completely agree with you. Unfortunately the world is changing to accommodate the snowflakes rather than them learning the hard way. I deal in the deaign/construction world and it's all about "attracting and retaining talent", and the perception is you have to kowtow to their wants in order to do so. I can't tell you how many large corporations have been remodeling offices to add relaxation lounges with soft lighting where people can lay on a lounge chair and update their social media status. And that's just the start.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:
AO Sig wrote:My parents were in grade and Junior high school during world war 2. They lived through gas shortages, limitations in travel, having friends who lost fathers, uncles and even brothers fighting in the European and Pacific theatres of operation. I don't recall their schools during WW 2 setting up "crying closets" or "safe spaces" if someone got a bit upset because someone said something that they did not agree with.

I completely agree with you. Unfortunately the world is changing to accommodate the snowflakes rather than them learning the hard way. I deal in the deaign/construction world and it's all about "attracting and retaining talent", and the perception is you have to kowtow to their wants in order to do so. I can't tell you how many large corporations have been remodeling offices to add relaxation lounges with soft lighting where people can lay on a lounge chair and update their social media status. And that's just the start.
Well, at least as of last year, those changes have not reached the defense industry. It’s still all about blowing kah-kah up. :wink:
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

I had a Cry Closet. It was called The Boot. Just saying.
Bring home da Wave!
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

doncecco wrote:I had a Cry Closet. It was called The Boot. Just saying.
For my generation, we were brave souls who also ventured to the Sitting Duck, because it had beat the clock super-cheap shots, COMPLETELY COINCIDENTALLY on the same nights as freshman physics exams.

And, of course, Friar Tucks (yes, young 'uns, it was a bar before it was a parade) and Cooters and....
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Fat Harrys here for me.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

GretnaGrn wrote:
doncecco wrote:I had a Cry Closet. It was called The Boot. Just saying.
For my generation, we were brave souls who also ventured to the Sitting Duck, because it had beat the clock super-cheap shots, COMPLETELY COINCIDENTALLY on the same nights as freshman physics exams.

And, of course, Friar Tucks (yes, young 'uns, it was a bar before it was a parade) and Cooters and....
All those to, but when E-school was kicking your ass, you headed to the closest one - which is always the Boot!
Bring home da Wave!
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

GreenieBacker wrote:Fat Harrys here for me.
Yeah, Fat Harry's was always a good call as you could walk out at 7:15AM catch the Streetcar and make your 8 o'clock.

...but Audubon Traven worked just fine.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I must have been the laziest of you all. The Rat was fine for me. Many brain cells left on that concrete floor. But only from Friday to Sunday. I had standards. :mrgreen:
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I rarely missed a quarter beer night at Tin Lizzie's. The pinball games there were frequent haunts; could play several hours on one quarter and earning free plays.

Did not admit to my pinball habit to family until my father commented that he broke his wrist in college hitting a pinball machine; made us kindred spirits.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?