Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:37 pm 
Emerald Circle

I'm just gonna leave this here...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cry-c ... li=BBnb7Kz

Oh yeah, it's got stuffed animals. Of course it does.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:42 pm 
Emerald Circle

We didn’t need no stinkin’ Cry Closet. The drinking age was 18! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:48 pm 
Regent's Circle

My parents were in grade and Junior high school during world war 2. They lived through gas shortages, limitations in travel, having friends who lost fathers, uncles and even brothers fighting in the European and Pacific theatres of operation. I don't recall their schools during WW 2 setting up "crying closets" or "safe spaces" if someone got a bit upset because someone said something that they did not agree with.

College is supposed to prepare students for the real world- careers, being mature adults, etc. I don't have any crying closets for my staff in my office.

My dad had a ton of academic credentials before returning to private practice (where I worked with him for the last 15 years of his life). He said that it used to be that the best and brightest were the ones who inhabited the halls of academe. He said that it had changed, and the halls were full of people who could not survive outside the ivy-covered halls in the real world.

I don't mean to offend those of you on this forum that are at colleges (particularly FW and Waveprof) by saying this pertains to all of them; however, there are an awful lot of people teaching who would fail if they were to venture outside the ivory towers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:10 pm 
Emerald Circle

Ghostbusters...The Private Sector

https://youtu.be/RjzC1Dgh17A

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:21 pm 
Emerald Circle

AO Sig wrote:
My parents were in grade and Junior high school during world war 2. They lived through gas shortages, limitations in travel, having friends who lost fathers, uncles and even brothers fighting in the European and Pacific theatres of operation. I don't recall their schools during WW 2 setting up "crying closets" or "safe spaces" if someone got a bit upset because someone said something that they did not agree with.

College is supposed to prepare students for the real world- careers, being mature adults, etc. I don't have any crying closets for my staff in my office.
I completely agree with you. Unfortunately the world is changing to accommodate the snowflakes rather than them learning the hard way. I deal in the deaign/construction world and it's all about "attracting and retaining talent", and the perception is you have to kowtow to their wants in order to do so. I can't tell you how many large corporations have been remodeling offices to add relaxation lounges with soft lighting where people can lay on a lounge chair and update their social media status. And that's just the start.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

I completely agree with you. Unfortunately the world is changing to accommodate the snowflakes rather than them learning the hard way. I deal in the deaign/construction world and it's all about "attracting and retaining talent", and the perception is you have to kowtow to their wants in order to do so. I can't tell you how many large corporations have been remodeling offices to add relaxation lounges with soft lighting where people can lay on a lounge chair and update their social media status. And that's just the start.

Well, at least as of last year, those changes have not reached the defense industry. It’s still all about blowing kah-kah up. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:15 pm 
President's Circle

I had a Cry Closet. It was called The Boot. Just saying.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:09 am 
Regent's Circle

doncecco wrote:

For my generation, we were brave souls who also ventured to the Sitting Duck, because it had beat the clock super-cheap shots, COMPLETELY COINCIDENTALLY on the same nights as freshman physics exams.

And, of course, Friar Tucks (yes, young 'uns, it was a bar before it was a parade) and Cooters and....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:27 am 
Emerald Circle

Fat Harrys here for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:47 pm 
President's Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:
doncecco wrote:

For my generation, we were brave souls who also ventured to the Sitting Duck, because it had beat the clock super-cheap shots, COMPLETELY COINCIDENTALLY on the same nights as freshman physics exams.

And, of course, Friar Tucks (yes, young 'uns, it was a bar before it was a parade) and Cooters and....

All those to, but when E-school was kicking your ass, you headed to the closest one - which is always the Boot!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:55 pm 
Regent's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
Fat Harrys here for me.

Yeah, Fat Harry's was always a good call as you could walk out at 7:15AM catch the Streetcar and make your 8 o'clock.

...but Audubon Traven worked just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:56 am 
Emerald Circle

I must have been the laziest of you all. The Rat was fine for me. Many brain cells left on that concrete floor. But only from Friday to Sunday. I had standards. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:42 am 
Regent's Circle

I rarely missed a quarter beer night at Tin Lizzie's. The pinball games there were frequent haunts; could play several hours on one quarter and earning free plays.

Did not admit to my pinball habit to family until my father commented that he broke his wrist in college hitting a pinball machine; made us kindred spirits.