Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:37 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19753
Location: Cincinnati, OH
I'm just gonna leave this here...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cry-c ... li=BBnb7Kz


Oh yeah, it's got stuffed animals. Of course it does.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:42 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17884
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
We didn’t need no stinkin’ Cry Closet. The drinking age was 18! :mrgreen:

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:48 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Kingsport, Tennessee
My parents were in grade and Junior high school during world war 2. They lived through gas shortages, limitations in travel, having friends who lost fathers, uncles and even brothers fighting in the European and Pacific theatres of operation. I don't recall their schools during WW 2 setting up "crying closets" or "safe spaces" if someone got a bit upset because someone said something that they did not agree with.

College is supposed to prepare students for the real world- careers, being mature adults, etc. I don't have any crying closets for my staff in my office.

My dad had a ton of academic credentials before returning to private practice (where I worked with him for the last 15 years of his life). He said that it used to be that the best and brightest were the ones who inhabited the halls of academe. He said that it had changed, and the halls were full of people who could not survive outside the ivy-covered halls in the real world.

I don't mean to offend those of you on this forum that are at colleges (particularly FW and Waveprof) by saying this pertains to all of them; however, there are an awful lot of people teaching who would fail if they were to venture outside the ivory towers.

_________________
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:10 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17884
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Ghostbusters...The Private Sector

https://youtu.be/RjzC1Dgh17A

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:21 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19753
Location: Cincinnati, OH
AO Sig wrote:
My parents were in grade and Junior high school during world war 2. They lived through gas shortages, limitations in travel, having friends who lost fathers, uncles and even brothers fighting in the European and Pacific theatres of operation. I don't recall their schools during WW 2 setting up "crying closets" or "safe spaces" if someone got a bit upset because someone said something that they did not agree with.

College is supposed to prepare students for the real world- careers, being mature adults, etc. I don't have any crying closets for my staff in my office.
.
I completely agree with you. Unfortunately the world is changing to accommodate the snowflakes rather than them learning the hard way. I deal in the deaign/construction world and it's all about "attracting and retaining talent", and the perception is you have to kowtow to their wants in order to do so. I can't tell you how many large corporations have been remodeling offices to add relaxation lounges with soft lighting where people can lay on a lounge chair and update their social media status. And that's just the start.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:26 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17884
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
PeteRasche wrote:
AO Sig wrote:
My parents were in grade and Junior high school during world war 2. They lived through gas shortages, limitations in travel, having friends who lost fathers, uncles and even brothers fighting in the European and Pacific theatres of operation. I don't recall their schools during WW 2 setting up "crying closets" or "safe spaces" if someone got a bit upset because someone said something that they did not agree with.

College is supposed to prepare students for the real world- careers, being mature adults, etc. I don't have any crying closets for my staff in my office.
.
I completely agree with you. Unfortunately the world is changing to accommodate the snowflakes rather than them learning the hard way. I deal in the deaign/construction world and it's all about "attracting and retaining talent", and the perception is you have to kowtow to their wants in order to do so. I can't tell you how many large corporations have been remodeling offices to add relaxation lounges with soft lighting where people can lay on a lounge chair and update their social media status. And that's just the start.

Well, at least as of last year, those changes have not reached the defense industry. It’s still all about blowing kah-kah up. :wink:

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:15 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:37 pm
Posts: 3326
Location: North Haven, CT
I had a Cry Closet. It was called The Boot. Just saying.

_________________
Bring home da Wave!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:09 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5938
Location: Gretna, LA
doncecco wrote:
I had a Cry Closet. It was called The Boot. Just saying.

For my generation, we were brave souls who also ventured to the Sitting Duck, because it had beat the clock super-cheap shots, COMPLETELY COINCIDENTALLY on the same nights as freshman physics exams.

And, of course, Friar Tucks (yes, young 'uns, it was a bar before it was a parade) and Cooters and....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:27 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19807
Location: New Orleans
Fat Harrys here for me.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:47 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:37 pm
Posts: 3326
Location: North Haven, CT
GretnaGrn wrote:
doncecco wrote:
I had a Cry Closet. It was called The Boot. Just saying.

For my generation, we were brave souls who also ventured to the Sitting Duck, because it had beat the clock super-cheap shots, COMPLETELY COINCIDENTALLY on the same nights as freshman physics exams.

And, of course, Friar Tucks (yes, young 'uns, it was a bar before it was a parade) and Cooters and....


All those to, but when E-school was kicking your ass, you headed to the closest one - which is always the Boot!

_________________
Bring home da Wave!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:55 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6453
Location: Dripping Springs
GreenieBacker wrote:
Fat Harrys here for me.


Yeah, Fat Harry's was always a good call as you could walk out at 7:15AM catch the Streetcar and make your 8 o'clock.

...but Audubon Traven worked just fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:56 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17884
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
I must have been the laziest of you all. The Rat was fine for me. Many brain cells left on that concrete floor. But only from Friday to Sunday. I had standards. :mrgreen:

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:42 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Kingsport, Tennessee
I rarely missed a quarter beer night at Tin Lizzie's. The pinball games there were frequent haunts; could play several hours on one quarter and earning free plays.

Did not admit to my pinball habit to family until my father commented that he broke his wrist in college hitting a pinball machine; made us kindred spirits.

_________________
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group