Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:16 am 
Emerald Circle

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... ssion=true

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:45 am 
Regent's Circle

This shows you how much the Picayune has declined. Loyola "gave" this story to Advocate and announced it on a Friday night about 9:30pm. (Separate note but from a PR point that is almost bizarre timing for a hire that was not under some external deadline. Friday evening is when bad news is typically released effectively to bury it.)

Meanwhile there is still no mention of this on Picayune website. I guess there will be a story in the Sunday paper. This is simply another indicator that it is now mostly irrelevant whether TP covers Tulane sports or not. I now sort of think it like Gambit (which ironically of course is now owned by Georges/ Advocate.)

ADDENDUM: About 45 minutes after I posted above, TP added story about this to its website. It's simply a regurgitation of Loyola press release from last night. So in short, no real journalism on this from TP. I guess it figured story was big enough that it had to put up something quickly. Maybe I'm just too sentimental about what TP used to be decades ago but I guess it is true that even Gambit now does better reporting than TP.

http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf ... leans_news

Anyway congrats to Tulane exec for winning this position.

Last edited by Baywave1 on Sat May 19, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:49 am 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
(Separate note but from a PR point that is almost bizarre timing for a hire that was not under some external deadline. Friday evening is when bad news is typically released effectively to bury it.)

Probably because it is pathetic capitulation to the PC nonsense of the world. It is a JESUIT University so a priest should be running it.

Side note mo clue why Prof is posting about a school located in Baltimore on here

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:01 am 
Emerald Circle

The TP

http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf ... leans_news

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:33 pm 
Emerald Circle

No one really talking about the Tulane angle on all of this, her leaving opens up another HUGE search. At the same time we are replacing the dean of SLA, the dean mcclaren replacement, recently replaced deans of engineering and architecture, recently replaced the provost, etc

Also, I only just now realized that her father was a jesuit priest (before he gave up his priesthood to have a wife and family)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:09 am 
Regent's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
No one really talking about the Tulane angle on all of this, her leaving opens up another HUGE search. At the same time we are replacing the dean of SLA, the dean mcclaren replacement, recently replaced deans of engineering and architecture, recently replaced the provost, etc

Also, I only just now realized that her father was a jesuit priest (before he gave up his priesthood to have a wife and family)

Uncle is currently a jesuit priest, as well. She has about as close of Jesuit ties as you can have in a layperson.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:08 am 
Coach Level

And her sister is the sometimes bass player for the carcass of Cowboy Mouth that is still dragging itself around the southeast.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:25 am 
Emerald Circle

LawGreenie wrote:
And her sister is the sometimes bass player for the carcass of Cowboy Mouth that is still dragging itself around the southeast.

Which explains why we had them at Homecoming like 3 years in a row

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:28 am 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
LawGreenie wrote:

Which explains why we had them at Homecoming like 3 years in a row

That and they are awesome

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:32 am 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:

No point in debating their awesom-ness, some like them some don't. But one thing that most everyone I talked to agreed upon:

1) they weren't a good fit for homecoming
2) they are more interested in saying "the name of the band is..." a 1000 times than actually playing a song
3) having the same band year after year is silly unless its a band that's universally loved on campus

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:22 am 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:

3) having the same band year after year is silly unless its a band that's universally loved on campus

False. Homecoming is for the alumni

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:34 am 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:

If that’s the case, since I am coming back in November for my 40th reunion (yikes!), the Neville Brothers, please. 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:00 pm 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:

If that’s the case, since I am coming back in November for my 40th reunion (yikes!), the Neville Brothers, please. 8)

On it

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:01 pm 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:

On it
It’s so incredible to think they played in the Rat sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:56 pm 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:

On it

Ummmm...that may involve necromancy....

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:40 pm 
Emerald Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:
windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:

On it

Ummmm...that may involve necromancy....

Living dead... New Orleans... Voodoo... still on it

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:29 pm 
Emerald Circle

i am guessing they think this will help with fundraising. lots of Orders, not necessarily the Jesuits, are horrid with finances.