Has it really been 10 years already?

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Has it really been 10 years already?

Post by OGSB »

The Dark Knight Changed Hollywood Movies Forever
Released 10 years ago, Christopher Nolan’s seminal comic-book adaptation legitimized the superhero film—for better and for worse.
I'm not a big comic guy but The Dark Knight was outstanding, and I enjoyed the first Iron Man as well.
Victory is never permanent
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Has it really been 10 years already?

Post by gerryb323 »

OGSB wrote:The Dark Knight Changed Hollywood Movies Forever
Released 10 years ago, Christopher Nolan’s seminal comic-book adaptation legitimized the superhero film—for better and for worse.
I'm not a big comic guy but The Dark Knight was outstanding, and I enjoyed the first Iron Man as well.
The funny thing is Nolan did Batman Begins 3 years earlier, so didn't that start it all? Maybe it wasn't as good, I guess?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I never made it past the cheesy Batman black and white TV series from the 60s. And we were excited as hell about it.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

gerryb323 wrote:
The funny thing is Nolan did Batman Begins 3 years earlier, so didn't that start it all? Maybe it wasn't as good, I guess?
Nolan’s 2005 reboot, Batman Begins, was well received and a solid box-office hit, but nothing on the scale of The Dark Knight, which made almost three times as much worldwide.
Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

My issue with the Batman franchise (and most of the DC Movie Universe, as opposed to Marvel) is their incessant need to be dark, dark, dark. I don't know if it's the fanboy push that started with the success of the original Michael Keaton version 30 years ago, or just the nature of Batman vs. almost all other superheroes, but DC can't make a non-dark Batman movie. Marvel has made a fortune being much more light-hearted, to the point where Thor: Ragnarok was virtually a comedy that happened to include superheroes. DC tried a lighthearted version of Batman in the mid-90s and it was a massive failure, but they seemed to have assumed that was because people refused to have a light-hearted Batman, and not because, you know, those movies were AWFUL. I do wonder if a really well-written and well-acted Batman movie that wasn't super-dark could succeed, or whether the fanboys simply would reject it on principle.

Regardless, Wonder Woman was the first modern DC movie with a somewhat lighter tone (as much as the backdrop of WWI can be) and it did very well. It will be interesting to see if they try to stay lighter with "The Flash" upcoming, along with Wonder Woman 2.

Edit: And almost like they were listening, this afternoon at Comic-Con in San Diego, DC dropped the trailer for Shazam, which is completely being made to look like a comedy....
Last edited by PeteRasche on Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

OGSB wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Nolan’s 2005 reboot, Batman Begins, was well received and a solid box-office hit, but nothing on the scale of The Dark Knight, which made almost three times as much worldwide.
I guess I was just quibbling with the use of "seminal" in reference to TDK when BB had many of the same tones. Sure, it was bigger and better and more successful (amazing the Academy changed the nomination process after the uproar) but I don't know that it can be there seminal piece as it built on BB.
And maybe it's just 12-14 year old me talking, but I loved Batman Forever and Batman & Robin when they came out! It was everything I needed in a movie at the time!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone