Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: In-and-Out Burger
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:06 pm 
Emerald Circle

I’m am in Los Angeles visiting my sick sister and stepped out from her treatment while she slept and had my first IO burger, fries, and shake. I figured I needed to do it for research purposes because I had heard so many people and magazines rave. The place was full but service was steady and efficient and the premises were cleaner than most fast food places.

I guess it’s like arguing about favorite pizza with everyone having their favorite but I was disappointed. The double double burger was good but nowhere near as sumptuous and tasty as a Five Guys burger. The fries were frankly sub par, to Five Guys or even McDonald’s. The chocolate shake was very good.

So there’s another experience checked off the list and I can at least compare. I’ll stay with Five Guys for the occasional indulgence.

Post subject: Re: In-and-Out Burger
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:22 pm 
Emerald Circle

I find Five Guys mediocre (at best) and McDonald's almost inedible. I've once driven 4 hours just for In-N-Out. I guess taste is part of our differences, but considering this is all fast food, I'm also guessing consistency plays a hand.

I will say this: I'm not a big fan of shakes at any of the three, and I've never found In-N-Out's fries to be any "better" (nor worse) than 5 guys, et al. But I'm also a snob about fries because my wife makes amazing fries. What I do like about 5 guys fries is when you order them animal style. At that point, they are no longer fries, but they are amazing. But really my In N Out love is all about the double double.

Thoughts for your sister!

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:01 pm 
Emerald Circle

Did you get the burger animal style?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
Being my first time I didn’t know to ask. What is it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:42 pm 
President's Circle

Went to IO maybe twice when I lived in Vegas, the 2nd time to make sure I didn't miss something the first time. No thanks, will never get it.

When someone can figure out how to top a Port-o-Call/Snug Harbor/Lakeview Harbor burger and potato, I might be moved.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:15 pm 
Regent's Circle

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:

it's the reason you aren't impressed with In and Out burger... go back and ask for your double double animal style.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:18 pm 
Regent's Circle

doncecco wrote:
When someone can figure out how to top a Port-o-Call/Snug Harbor/Lakeview Harbor burger and potato, I might be moved.

you may never be moved... the ONLY burger I've had better than those two places was at the Charleston Place Hotel at the bar. It had duck fat mixed in with the ground beef... it was apparently inspired by a duck fat infused burger from somewhere in NYC... said so on the menu.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:21 pm 
Emerald Circle

Port o Call burgers aren't that good IMO. Their drinks and potatoes are good. Supposedly their steak too

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:38 pm 
Emerald Circle

Husk Burgers at Husk in Charleston set my standard.

Also a big fan of sumburger in Chillicothe Ohio (for the lower end burger variety). Also in that category, a shout out to Rotier’s in Nashville and Camelia Grill (depending on who the line cook is) in NOLA

Last edited by WaveProf on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:20 pm 
Regent's Circle

When I was living out there lots of people would get the In and Out Burger bumper sticker; they would then remove the B and second R from the last word and put it on their cars. Lots of VW beetles seemed to have that modified bumper sticker in Long Beach

There wasn't one near the hospital I was working at in Long Beach; a Carl's Jr was more convenient. ironically my wife was living in Pasadena at the same time (we did not meet until we had both moved back to the Eastern U.S), and she also said there was no In and Out near her.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:39 pm 
Regent's Circle

I/O is popular beyond belief out west. That's why the boycott call was destined to be bizarrely ineffective. For you older folks, I/O has the same mystique that Coors beer had as a western regional brand before it was distributed east of the Mississippi. Once Coors went national, it lost its cache.

I/O does not franchise and that's why the closest ones to here are Dallas. (I think.) I like I/O but I wouldn't wait 1/2 hour for their unfast food as the true believers often have to do.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:50 pm 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:

Why you didn't like it... burger cooked in mustard (or sauce I forget which) special sauce grilled onions and probably something I'm forgetting

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:50 pm 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
Port o Call burgers aren't that good IMO. Their drinks and potatoes are good. Supposedly their steak too

They were 20 years ago

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:53 pm 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
Husk Burgers at Husk in Charleston set my standard.

Also a big fan of sumburger in Chillicothe Ohio (for the lower end burger variety). Also in that category, a shout out to Rotier’s in Nashville and Camelia Grill (depending on who the line cook is) in NOLA

Husk burger is overrated.

I'm a traditionalist. Some of the burgerers here are supposed to be redonkulous and they're good but siracha cured bacon and quail egg don't belong in a buger. For chains.... Fuddruckers FTW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:53 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
doncecco wrote:

you may never be moved... the ONLY burger I've had better than those two places was at the Charleston Place Hotel at the bar. It had duck fat mixed in with the ground beef... it was apparently inspired by a duck fat infused burger from somewhere in NYC... said so on the menu.

I'll tempt you next time you're in town

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:55 pm 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
I/O is popular beyond belief out west. That's why the boycott call was destined to be bizarrely ineffective. For you older folks, I/O has the same mystique that Coors beer had as a western regional brand before it was distributed east of the Mississippi. Once Coors went national, it lost its cache.

I/O does not franchise and that's why the closest ones to here are Dallas. (I think.) I like I/O but I wouldn't wait 1/2 hour for their unfast food as the true believers often have to do.

But the I/O in Vegas tastes better

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:53 pm 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:

Why you didn't like it... burger cooked in mustard (or sauce I forget which) special sauce grilled onions and probably something I'm forgetting

It’s not that I didn’t like it. It was like seeing the Alamo for the first time and asking “is that all there is?”.

And I was commenting on regional or national chains that have a following, not the one-offs that make burgers to die for. Those are very specific and don’t lend themselves to fair comparison.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:

It’s not that I didn’t like it. It was like seeing the Alamo for the first time and asking “is that all there is?”.

And I was commenting on regional or national chains that have a following, not the one-offs that make burgers to die for. Those are very specific and don’t lend themselves to fair comparison.

Which is why said Fuddruckers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:45 pm 
Cornerstone

In-n-Out apparently did something politically incorrect the other day. I'm not sure what it was, but there were a lot of calls for boycotts. Because of the boycott, there were long lines going around the buildings of several InO's, and several photos were on Facebook yesterday.
Must've been a big "nothing burger," because the whole thing seems to have melted away like an ice cube in a blast furnace.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:44 am 
Emerald Circle

Roller wrote:
In-n-Out apparently did something politically incorrect the other day. I'm not sure what it was, but there were a lot of calls for boycotts. Because of the boycott, there were long lines going around the buildings of several InO's, and several photos were on Facebook yesterday.
Must've been a big "nothing burger," because the whole thing seems to have melted away like an ice cube in a blast furnace.

Yes. A CA democratic lawmaker led a boycott when he found out they had given money to a GOP candidate (apparently that warrants a boycott????) Only to then find out they gave equal money to a democratic candidate, and have to call off the dogs. And those are the times we live in.

Fwiw I don’t ever believe in boycotting a good burger :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:13 am 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
A CA democratic lawmaker led a boycott when he found out they had given money to a GOP candidate (apparently that warrants a boycott????) Only to then find out they gave equal money to a democratic candidate, and have to call off the dogs. And those are the times we live in.

I'm glad I'm on social media little enough to have missed that.

I got my first-ever Yeti (not knock-off) mug one evening a few months ago and returned home to find that night that the whole mess with the NRA had gone down that afternoon. Great, now my travel coffee mug is a political statement. Then last week I was at Nordstrom Rack (God bless places that carry my size in anything) looking for some sneakers to kick around in and got a great deal on a pair of Nikes. Now THOSE are a political statement. Like I needed more reasons to dislike going shopping.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:16 am 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
Roller wrote:

Yes. A CA democratic lawmaker led a boycott when he found out they had given money to a GOP candidate (apparently that warrants a boycott????) Only to then find out they gave equal money to a democratic candidate, and have to call off the dogs. And those are the times we live in.

Fwiw I don’t ever believe in boycotting a good burger :)

He should go to Fuddruckers, they have an ostrich burger which is similar to an emu.

I only boycott crappy food and service

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:18 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
A CA democratic lawmaker led a boycott when he found out they had given money to a GOP candidate (apparently that warrants a boycott????) Only to then find out they gave equal money to a democratic candidate, and have to call off the dogs. And those are the times we live in.

I'm glad I'm on social media little enough to have missed that.

I got my first-ever Yeti (not knock-off) mug one evening a few months ago and returned home to find that night that the whole mess with the NRA had gone down that afternoon. Great, now my travel coffee mug is a political statement. Then last week I was at Nordstrom Rack (God bless places that carry my size in anything) looking for some sneakers to kick around in and got a great deal on a pair of Nikes. Now THOSE are a political statement. Like I needed more reasons to dislike going shopping.

What else are you planning to purchase? I want to short that stock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:22 am 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
doncecco wrote:

I'll tempt you next time you're in town

not coming back there until you can walk down Michigan Avenue without kevlar... hopefully now that Rahm has realized HE'S the fking problem, it can get fixed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:39 am 
Emerald Circle

Who knew a food thread could devolve into politics?! 8)