Mods: Should we remove this from our repertoire?

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Re: Mods: Should we remove this from our repertoire?

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Annnnnnd, lock
?
You can't give your opinion of liberalism now compared to last century and end it with "oh, but that's just the historical facts" and think that makes it ok.
I personally think it's a pretty accurate, non-biased summary... we should probably tone down the rhetoric a bit before it truly does become too political.. and of course I say this as the instigator of the whole thing since '54 was probably being tongue in cheek with his question about the emoji and I went on my First Man rant because it was the closest soap box.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Kingbird87 wrote:JFK inspired this effort, and it was a vital safety valve in relieving the horrific pressure of the very hot Cold War. As a fellow Cold Warrior, (Combat Rescue and Electronic Warfare Pilot), the politics of that era, as I experienced among the active service members, was as diverse and open as one could hope for. The flag on the Apollo Eleven mission wasn’t perceived in a political sense, it was historical. And “The Right Stuff” I agree, is the best entertainment of the Space Movies!
We are in violent agreement, shipmate.
And how would you characterize leaving the flag out of the movie if the original planting wasn't a political statement. (This all assumes it wasn't a "moon landing" on a sound stage)
Haven’t seen the movie. We’ve planted US flags everywhere we’ve been, including when our submarines surface through the ice on the North Pole. Honestly I dont get my skivvies in a wad either way. I think the flag is important but I served to protect anyone’s right to say it is not.

As I told my daughter a few months ago, I am patriotic but not jingoistic. Curiously I find the most vociferous flag wavers mostly have never served.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Johnny Mac wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
?
You can't give your opinion of liberalism now compared to last century and end it with "oh, but that's just the historical facts" and think that makes it ok.
I personally think it's a pretty accurate, non-biased summary... we should probably tone down the rhetoric a bit before it truly does become too political.. and of course I say this as the instigator of the whole thing since '54 was probably being tongue in cheek with his question about the emoji and I went on my First Man rant because it was the closest soap box.
Well done, JM.

LSU Sucks! :green wink:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

When 54 first posted this, whether he intended it or not, it was destined to be locked. There was no way it was NOT going to be political.

There are a million other things to talk about, why do we have to talk about politics? Regardless of whether anyone finds any of this inflammatory or not, the whole topic can be avoided. It's just that too many people these days refuse to avoid it - or actually enjoy arguing (I mean, if people didn't enjoy arguing, 3/4 of ESPN's late afternoon programming would die out).

Best shrimp po-boy in New Orleans? Go.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

5. Posts of a religious or political nature or any post that infers or implies a religious or political agenda, will be deleted, no matter how well intended. Politics and religion have no place on a University/Athletics forum. Unfortunately, these subjects always conclude with provocative and divisive results and are outside the purpose of this forum.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:When 54 first posted this, whether he intended it or not, it was destined to be locked. There was no way it was NOT going to be political.

There are a million other things to talk about, why do we have to talk about politics? Regardless of whether anyone finds any of this inflammatory or not, the whole topic can be avoided. It's just that too many people these days refuse to avoid it - or actually enjoy arguing (I mean, if people didn't enjoy arguing, 3/4 of ESPN's late afternoon programming would die out).

Liuzza's BBQ Shrimp Po Boy
Parkway Fried Shrimp with Debris
Now I'm drooling
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote:When 54 first posted this, whether he intended it or not, it was destined to be locked. There was no way it was NOT going to be political.

I agree. The problem is Politics has a way inserting itself into things that aren't initially political(ESPN reporting, NFL pre-game ceremonies). Too often the result is we just deem those things now too political and refuse to talk about them. Since we don't talk there is no understanding, it gets worse. We don't have to talk, but it's good to know where other people are as far as their principles and desires. That's called peaceful coexistence. Sure it may mean there is some tension, but its when we feel lied to or betrayed that destroys trust and respect so thoroughly. As you know, this also means we must learn the difference between a conversation and an argument.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

What about: :king: is that too patriarchal? :twisted: Surely refers to Satan. :machinegun: Pro gun? :santablue: Religion Again. :shootself: Insenitive to mental health issues?

Context and tone. Context and tone. I will leave it at that.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
?
You know the GoT tomato SHAME walk? Yeah you deserve that :king:
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Kingbird87 wrote:JFK inspired this effort, and it was a vital safety valve in relieving the horrific pressure of the very hot Cold War. As a fellow Cold Warrior, (Combat Rescue and Electronic Warfare Pilot), the politics of that era, as I experienced among the active service members, was as diverse and open as one could hope for. The flag on the Apollo Eleven mission wasn’t perceived in a political sense, it was historical. And “The Right Stuff” I agree, is the best entertainment of the Space Movies!
We are in violent agreement, shipmate.
And how would you characterize leaving the flag out of the movie if the original planting wasn't a political statement. (This all assumes it wasn't a "moon landing" on a sound stage)
Haven’t seen the movie. We’ve planted US flags everywhere we’ve been, including when our submarines surface through the ice on the North Pole. Honestly I dont get my skivvies in a wad either way. I think the flag is important but I served to protect anyone’s right to say it is not.

As I told my daughter a few months ago, I am patriotic but not jingoistic. Curiously I find the most vociferous flag wavers mostly have never served.
I'm basing my assessment off of the guy who made the movie :coolshades:

Agree about the jingoism. Most ex military I know are steely eyed quiet guys who subtly brag about their sexual exploits in the service of their country
#cousins don't count
Kingbird87
Trainer

Unread post by Kingbird87 »

And how would you characterize leaving the flag out of the movie if the original planting wasn't a political statement. (This all assumes it wasn't a "moon landing" on a sound stage)[/quote]

I would say it was not perceived as political in the context of Left/Right, Democrat or Republican. It was certainly political in context of Democracy/Capitalism vs. Communism/Marxism. That was the placebo that consumed tens of billions of dollars and rubles that could have been added to the fires stoking the Cold War.
As for the sound stage hoax. That would mean almost everyone I knew growing up, and tens of thousands more all over the country, possessed the ability to keep their mouths shut about the greatest waste of resources in history. My dad was Deputy Director of the Kennedy Space Center for Resources and Financial Management. He lied about fishing, but as far as I know, that was it.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Kingbird87 wrote:And how would you characterize leaving the flag out of the movie if the original planting wasn't a political statement. (This all assumes it wasn't a "moon landing" on a sound stage)
I would say it was not perceived as political in the context of Left/Right, Democrat or Republican. It was certainly political in context of Democracy/Capitalism vs. Communism/Marxism. That was the placebo that consumed tens of billions of dollars and rubles that could have been added to the fires stoking the Cold War.
As for the sound stage hoax. That would mean almost everyone I knew growing up, and tens of thousands more all over the country, possessed the ability to keep their mouths shut about the greatest waste of resources in history. My dad was Deputy Director of the Kennedy Space Center for Resources and Financial Management. He lied about fishing, but as far as I know, that was it.
You don't know me well enough to get the hoax statement. Is was meant to be droll.
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

At least we can all agree that the Earth is flat
Kingbird87
Trainer

Unread post by Kingbird87 »

windywave wrote:
Kingbird87 wrote:And how would you characterize leaving the flag out of the movie if the original planting wasn't a political statement. (This all assumes it wasn't a "moon landing" on a sound stage)
You don't know me well enough to get the hoax statement. Is was meant to be droll.
I didn’t for a minute think you were taken to belief in the “lunar sound stage” hoax. I worked at KSC for a year while waiting for my class date at Reese AFB for Pilot Training. There was an amazing building called the O&C, Operations and Checkout, where a full spare Lunar Module and Rover were stored along with the various scientific experiment packages, so the thought had occurred to me that with a little styrofoam and pixie dust, maybe...
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

The moon landing was both an american AND a world accomplishment. Let's not negate "one giant leap for mankind"

Replacing the flag in the movie is both historically inaccurate, it is also annoyingly facile, predictable, and PC

Getting worked up about the flag being replaced in the movie is equally facile and predictable

And if anyone thinks giving a partisian, over-simplified version of the history of either political party isn't being "political", then I have some seaside real estate to sell them in Arizona.

Also, anyone equating Clinton with "liberalism" (or any specific political ideology) is being far too generous to Mr. Clinton's brain cells. Now THAT's being political.
Last edited by WaveProf on Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

How was it a world accomplishment and how is removing the flag from the movie historically accurate?
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

windywave wrote:How was it a world accomplishment and how is removing the flag from the movie historically accurate?

The first isn't worthy of a response, the second was a typo. That's predictable (with me) too :mrgreen: Fixing it now.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:How was it a world accomplishment and how is removing the flag from the movie historically accurate?

The first isn't worthy of a response, the second was a typo. That's predictable (with me) too :mrgreen: Fixing it now.
why isn't it worthy of a response? while German scientists contributed to the rocket development of our space program, it wasn't as if we were collaborating with Germany.. they were working for the US government.. it was NOT a world accomplishment.. it was Kennedy and then Johnson sticking it up Krushchev's and Brezhnev's a88es by saying, "we got here first mutha fkkas!!"
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
windywave
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:

Please explain how it was not an American accomplishment comrade.
#cousins don't count
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

Please explain how it was not an American accomplishment comrade.
Same way Sputnik was a worldwide accomplishment.
Victory is never permanent
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

Poseidon wrote:What about: :king: is that too patriarchal? :twisted: Surely refers to Satan. :machinegun: Pro gun? :santablue: Religion Again. :shootself: Insenitive to mental health issues?

Context and tone. Context and tone. I will leave it at that.
It has been a while since I clicked on this thread. When I posted the original emoji, I was suggesting (in jest) it might be political because of the protests about the flag itself. Then the First Man thing came up. But if you look at it again, you might think (as I did) that it definitely looks like the planting of the flag at Iwo Jima, not the planting of the flag on the moon. My question now is there an emoji representing of "making a mountain our of a mole hill" available? Because that is just what this thread has become, more than anything else. One more here... :roll:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Fan Since '54 wrote: the protests about the flag itself.
Huh?
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

gerryb323 wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote: the protests about the flag itself.
Huh?
Showing respect to it at athletic events.

'54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Just stop.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

This is worse than the juju threads