Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sadness in Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:41 pm 
Regent's Circle

Spending Thanksgiving in Chicago and I see that the bar I met windy and his brother for drinks a few years ago (McFaddens) is closed. Looks like the building owner is looking to cash in.

Only saving grace is that I've had malnati's deep dish.

Post subject: Re: Sadness in Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:40 am 
Emerald Circle

Dude it wasn't like it was an institution, it was your run of the mill faux Irish themed bar. Being in a high rent district with nothing distinctive and no identity meant success was low.
Timothy O'Tooles is someplace similar a little further south if tou need a family break

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:09 pm 
Regent's Circle

Windy,

SHAMELESS!,

;-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:46 pm 
Emerald Circle

BC Wave wrote:
Windy,

SHAMELESS!,

;-)

?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:51 pm 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
Dude it wasn't like it was an institution, it was your run of the mill faux Irish themed bar. Being in a high rent district with nothing distinctive and no identity meant success was low.
Timothy O'Tooles is someplace similar a little further south if tou need a family break

All the other dives around the corner aren't going anywhere and mcfaddens apparently became a frat boy hang out... Their closing down was landlord related since every other business on that property is shuttered, including a bank.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:05 pm 
President's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:

All the other dives around the corner aren't going anywhere and mcfaddens apparently became a frat boy hang out... Their closing down was landlord related since every other business on that property is shuttered, including a bank.

Did they start serving kegs & eggs?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:08 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:

Condos here we come.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:08 pm 
Emerald Circle

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:

They had an awesome breakfast quiche

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:33 pm 
President's Circle

windywave wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:

They had an awesome breakfast quiche

I heard normal people call it breakfast casserole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:12 pm 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:

Condos here we come.

Exactly... Diagonally across state st they shoehorned in a 20 story condo... Dude cleaned up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:56 pm 
Emerald Circle

You want a dive bar? Try rossi’s. Only bar in downtown chicago that could be a nola dive bar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:48 pm 
Regent's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
Spending Thanksgiving in Chicago and I see that the bar I met windy and his brother for drinks a few years ago (McFaddens) is closed. Looks like the building owner is looking to cash in.

I ate at Pequod's with my sister when up there last month; really good, had a caramelized crust along the edges, very rich sauce. My business partner came along, had eaten with her husband at another place, told me that Pequod's was better. Give it a try when you are up there next time. Not far from Wrigley area.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:17 pm 
Regent's Circle

AO Sig wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

I ate at Pequod's with my sister when up there last month; really good, had a caramelized crust along the edges, very rich sauce. My business partner came along, had eaten with her husband at another place, told me that Pequod's was better. Give it a try when you are up there next time. Not far from Wrigley area.

Noted... but it's hard to beat malnati's when its 2 blocks away

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:04 pm 
Emerald Circle

AO Sig wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

"Caramelized" crust is code for burned. If that's your thing and your traveling to Pequods travel a little further to Burt's.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
AO Sig wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

Noted... but it's hard to beat malnati's when its 2 blocks away

Next time try Aurelios for thin crust. Get a Fiesta size

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:06 pm 
Emerald Circle

On the plus side it's over freezing for this blizzard warning, on the downside it's in the thirties pouring rain with stupid high winds.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:15 pm 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
On the plus side it's over freezing for this blizzard warning, on the downside it's in the thirties pouring rain with stupid high winds.

we got out just in time... it appears they canceled a lot of flights out of ORD today

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:30 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:

we got out just in time... it appears they canceled a lot of flights out of ORD today

Probably because the entire Northeast quandrant of the state is a color between green and purple :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:01 am 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:

Probably because the entire Northeast quandrant of the state is a color between green and purple :wink:

we got a travel waiver alert on Friday despite our flight being on Saturday before the weather was supposed to hit... my guess is American wanted to roll up any passengers they could to Friday to open up spots on Saturday to move people from Sunday.. our flight to CLT was packed, despite not being full when we checked in on Friday.