Disappointing sights or not?

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: Disappointing sights or not?

Unread post by WaveProf »

JDTulane wrote:Waveprof you're doing Chicago and Austin wrong. I have a blast every time I go to both!!
As I said, I did Chicago way too young and really should do it again

I’ve never not had fun in Austin because I’ve found several things I like there. But I always feel like I’m having fun “in spite” of Austin
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

WaveProf wrote:
JDTulane wrote:Waveprof you're doing Chicago and Austin wrong. I have a blast every time I go to both!!

I’ve never not had fun in Austin because I’ve found several things I like there. But I always feel like I’m having fun “in spite” of Austin
chicago is nice in the summer and before Christmas.

for LA folks, Port Hudson is kind of cool if you are close to it - time i went there was NOBODY around, so the opposite of touristy. only a small percentage of the battlefield is open to the public. not worth a trip in and of itself, but if you are driving near BR.

Pompei is amazing and I thought the catacombs were pretty impressive.

the cell block at alcatraz is much smaller than expected. underwhelming isn't the right word, but very different than i pictured from the movies
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

WaveProf wrote:

You mean you don't love the music capital of Travis County?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Yankeewave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

chicago is nice in the summer and before Christmas.

for LA folks, Port Hudson is kind of cool if you are close to it - time i went there was NOBODY around, so the opposite of touristy. only a small percentage of the battlefield is open to the public. not worth a trip in and of itself, but if you are driving near BR.

Pompei is amazing and I thought the catacombs were pretty impressive.

the cell block at alcatraz is much smaller than expected. underwhelming isn't the right word, but very different than i pictured from the movies
Amen on all three. Boat ride to Alcatraz is fun and scenic though. As concerns the cellblocks, let's just say Al Capone's ties with Geronimo's in Pensacola for most interesting. Al's does (did?) have running water.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:

Yeah you should if you like culture food and fun.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

Trying to convince my wife our next non-kid trip should be to Chicago. She doesn't want to go to "just a big city"
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

Trying to convince my wife our next non-kid trip should be to Chicago. She doesn't want to go to "just a big city"
Chicago is maybe the smallest big city you'll visit. Sure it's big because of population and maybe overall area, but when you're there visiting specific places, the overall size of the city just isn't relevant. Chicago is easy to get around (pick non rush hour times), never had issues parking, can find great local restaurants or bars. So many things to bring kids to. Even the lighting of the City's Christmas Tree downtown, although super packed with people, was easy to move around. The different ethnic neighborhoods and the restaurants therein. Chicago is one of my kids favorite cities and my daughter still wants to end up in Evanston (summers only) lol.
windywave
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

What's that mean? Just a big city? Like New York London Paris Rome? Or Dallas Atlanta Orlando?
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

What's that mean? Just a big city? Like New York London Paris Rome? Or Dallas Atlanta Orlando?
Yep.
windywave
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

Yep.
Get a cabin in the woods
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

Yep.
Get a cabin in the woods
She likes little historic towns and finding out of the way places. I keep trying to tell her lots of cities are just neighborhoods and holes in the wall on a bigger scale
windywave
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

Yep.
Get a cabin in the woods
She likes little historic towns and finding out of the way places. I keep trying to tell her lots of cities are just neighborhoods and holes in the wall on a bigger scale
Chicago is a lot of small places just close together
#cousins don't count
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

Yep.
Get a cabin in the woods
If she likes small towns and theatre, you should look at Abingdon, va. Quaint town, boutique hotel and BAndB’s, and The Barter theatre, the oldest repertoire theatre in the country,top notch regional professional company. Two stages, so four different shows in a weekend. Also nice biking/ hiking trail, rhe Virginia creeper trail. Blue ridge mtns.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Abingdon is beautiful and that production company impressive, but having grown up in the Great Valley of Virginia, I'd start with Staunton. Then Lexington. Then Abingdon would be my #3. Just my .02
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

WaveProf wrote:Abingdon is beautiful and that production company impressive, but having grown up in the Great Valley of Virginia, I'd start with Staunton. Then Lexington. Then Abingdon would be my #3. Just my .02
We know Abingdon well because of proximity; the Martha Washington Inn is a nice place to stay (used to be a ladies' finishing school, now a boutique hotel with very good restaurant), as well as several B and B's, restaurants, and shops. We have tickets to see one of the last shows of "Elf- the Musical;" my business partner took her daughter, said it is great! We can be on Main street in just under 35 minutes from our home.

Just as an aside- just before the exit for Abingdon we can get off for a private golf club called "The Olde Farm." Incredible cuisine, golf course is beautiful. Membership is national; there are four members whose last name is Manning, two of which have addresses in the directory in New Orleans. When I have been there, I feel a bit like a gypsy in the palace...
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

TUPF wrote:Overwhelmed:
- Apollo Mission Control room in Houston. It really is just a bunch of antiquated consoles but for someone who wanted to be an astronaut...Wow.
I friend of mine used to work for NASA in Houston, teaching astronauts how to live in space (literally potty training lol). This was prior to the added security after 9-11, but he got us in to see all of the training equipment and simulators, including the one for learning to fly the space shuttle. It was incredibly cool and awe inspiring.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

GretnaGrn wrote:
TUPF wrote:Overwhelmed:
- Apollo Mission Control room in Houston. It really is just a bunch of antiquated consoles but for someone who wanted to be an astronaut...Wow.
I friend of mine used to work for NASA in Houston, teaching astronauts how to live in space (literally potty training lol). This was prior to the added security after 9-11, but he got us in to see all of the training equipment and simulators, including the one for learning to fly the space shuttle. It was incredibly cool and awe inspiring.
I will add a comment about a place that has upgraded their facilities. My family visited Cape Canaveral a few weeks after 9/11; security was just starting to be figured out, and there was so much fear that no one was there. the exhibits were interesting to adults who grew up watching the launches, etc, but not to a 5 year old autistic son.

We returned for the first time in 15 years a couple of years ago; the exhibits have improved tremendously. their exhibit of one of the Shuttle aircraft is designed to make one's heart skip a beat when it is displayed. The chance to see the mission space consoles that I used to see on live shots from there were neat; being able to walk under a Saturn-5 rocket was very impressive. If you are someone who vividly remembers where you were the evening of Sunday, July 20, 1969 (a Holiday Inn room in North Chicago, Illinois with my family), it is worth seeing.