Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:34 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 21509
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Jazzfest line up is out. Probably the deepest big-name list ever. I know that's not what most New Orleanians want (heck, I used to go for the local acts)... But this is an impressively-diverse and incredibly deep list. And they are clearly going for crowd numbers with DMB *AND* Buffett in the same year.

The Rolling Stones
Dave Matthews Band
Katy Perry
Jimmy Buffett & The Coral Reefer Band
Chris Stapleton
Bob Seger And The Silver Bullet Band
Pitbull
Santana
Van Morrison
Al Green
Logic
Earth, Wind & Fire
J Balvin
Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue with Nevilles
Gladys Knight
The Revivalists
Leon Bridges
John Fogerty
Chaka Khan
Herbie Hancock
Tank and The Bangas
Tom Jones
Bonnie Raitt
Ciara
Alanis Morissette
Irma Thomas
Gary Clark Jr.
The O'Jays
The Head and The Heart
The Doobie Brothers
Jimmy Cliff
Ziggy Marley
Aaron Neville
Boz Scaggs
Galactic
Jerry Lee Lewis
Indigo Girls
Rebirth Brass Band
Mavis Staples
Los Lobos
Ellis Marsalis Family Tribute featuring Wynton, Branford, Delfeayo, and Jason with Ellis Marsalis
Big Freedia
Kamasi Washington
Rita Coolidge
Buddy Guy
Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Better Than Ezra
Cowboy Mouth


Last edited by PeteRasche on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:42 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 3610
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
MR. WORLDWIDE....DALÈ!!!!!! :dots:

_________________
Tulane BSCE & Army ROTC class of 2004


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:45 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 7715
Location: Dripping Springs
Holy Fats -

Image


Last edited by sr on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:46 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 21509
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Notice the old traditional fest closer, the Neville Brothers, are joining the new closer, Trombone Shorty. Nice move for the 50th anniversary.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:11 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 21305
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Pete--Based on the TINY attendance last time Buffett played Jazz Fest (was it just last year?) I dont think he's going to rush up the numbers at all. I've never seen an emptier Acura, and it was nice weather. They've either oversaturated Buffett at Jazz Fest or else his fanbase has disapeared (I'm guessing its the saturation). They still have him because he loves playing Jazz Fest, is great friends in real life with Clint, and he ticks boxes with the age group/demographic that buys the big chief experience. But the turnout for him last time was truly tiny, and hasn't been "huge" the last FEW times he's played

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:28 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posts: 2621
WaveProf wrote:
Pete--Based on the TINY attendance last time Buffett played Jazz Fest (was it just last year?) I dont think he's going to rush up the numbers at all. I've never seen an emptier Acura, and it was nice weather. They've either oversaturated Buffett at Jazz Fest or else his fanbase has disapeared (I'm guessing its the saturation). They still have him because he loves playing Jazz Fest, is great friends in real life with Clint, and he ticks boxes with the age group/demographic that buys the big chief experience. But the turnout for him last time was truly tiny, and hasn't been "huge" the last FEW times he's played


sweet...sounds like I should go then.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:58 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5896
Location: Wichita
So many people on this list I'm like "they're still alive?!"
Would be a good celebrity death pool list

_________________
#stopbunting
#stopPUNTING!
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:36 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 21509
Location: Cincinnati, OH
So a friend just messaged this (I assume he saw it somewhere online that is authoritative but I don't know):
Quote:
So apparently jazz fest is only allowing 30,000 people in for the day the Rolling Stones play. Basically they’re the only show that people are going to want to go see and that’s why there aren’t many acts playing that day.


If so, not cool. I mean, they handled 160k in 2001, why not let as many come as want to come? Honestly most Stones fans are so old that they'd be scared away by the logistics and possible weather of Fest.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:44 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5896
Location: Wichita
PeteRasche wrote:
So a friend just messaged this (I assume he saw it somewhere online that is authoritative but I don't know):
Quote:
So apparently jazz fest is only allowing 30,000 people in for the day the Rolling Stones play. Basically they’re the only show that people are going to want to go see and that’s why there aren’t many acts playing that day.


If so, not cool. I mean, they handled 160k in 2001, why not let as many come as want to come? Honestly most Stones fans are so old that they'd be scared away by the logistics and possible weather of Fest.

They're still alive?!

_________________
#stopbunting
#stopPUNTING!
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:41 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 21509
Location: Cincinnati, OH
More from said friend:
Quote:
Tickets for Thursday are north of $150. The website does indicate the higher price for Stones day. It also indicates that the local residents can go to the Superdome on Thursday and get discounted tickets for that day only if they choose. It does not state that there is a specific limit on the number of people but I have heard that through a reliable source that it will be 30,000.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:24 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 7715
Location: Dripping Springs
gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
So a friend just messaged this (I assume he saw it somewhere online that is authoritative but I don't know):
Quote:
So apparently jazz fest is only allowing 30,000 people in for the day the Rolling Stones play. Basically they’re the only show that people are going to want to go see and that’s why there aren’t many acts playing that day.


If so, not cool. I mean, they handled 160k in 2001, why not let as many come as want to come? Honestly most Stones fans are so old that they'd be scared away by the logistics and possible weather of Fest.

They're still alive?!

You guys mustn't be referencing Tulane Stones' fans …


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:03 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 21106
Location: Chicago
PeteRasche wrote:
More from said friend:
Quote:
Tickets for Thursday are north of $150. The website does indicate the higher price for Stones day. It also indicates that the local residents can go to the Superdome on Thursday and get discounted tickets for that day only if they choose. It does not state that there is a specific limit on the number of people but I have heard that through a reliable source that it will be 30,000.


For a bunch of geezers?

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:29 pm
Posts: 2113
Location: Broadmoor
windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
More from said friend:
Quote:
Tickets for Thursday are north of $150. The website does indicate the higher price for Stones day. It also indicates that the local residents can go to the Superdome on Thursday and get discounted tickets for that day only if they choose. It does not state that there is a specific limit on the number of people but I have heard that through a reliable source that it will be 30,000.


For a bunch of geezers?


My out of town daughter is making my wife get in line on Thursday for tickets ( I think it's $165 each.) I told them they're nuts. Those guys are older than me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:47 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5896
Location: Wichita
TU77CAL82 wrote:
windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
More from said friend:
Quote:
Tickets for Thursday are north of $150. The website does indicate the higher price for Stones day. It also indicates that the local residents can go to the Superdome on Thursday and get discounted tickets for that day only if they choose. It does not state that there is a specific limit on the number of people but I have heard that through a reliable source that it will be 30,000.


For a bunch of geezers?


My out of town daughter is making my wife get in line on Thursday for tickets ( I think it's $165 each.) I told them they're nuts. Those guys are older than me.

May may not come fast enough for half of the performers!

_________________
#stopbunting
#stopPUNTING!
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:50 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 3610
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
gerryb323 wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
More from said friend:
Quote:
Tickets for Thursday are north of $150. The website does indicate the higher price for Stones day. It also indicates that the local residents can go to the Superdome on Thursday and get discounted tickets for that day only if they choose. It does not state that there is a specific limit on the number of people but I have heard that through a reliable source that it will be 30,000.


For a bunch of geezers?


My out of town daughter is making my wife get in line on Thursday for tickets ( I think it's $165 each.) I told them they're nuts. Those guys are older than me.

May may not come fast enough for half of the performers!

Mick Jagger will probably have another kid by then

_________________
Tulane BSCE & Army ROTC class of 2004


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:12 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 21509
Location: Cincinnati, OH
I missed the Stones in the Dome in both 89 and 94. I've regretted it since, and their upcoming tour doesn't look to be coming even remotely close to here (not to mention cost) unless they add another bunch of dates. I don't care how old they are, Mick is still Mick and the rest of the guys just stand or sit around anyway, and they are an all-time legendary band. Simon & Garfunkel were past their prime in 2010 but I'm still glad I got to see them before they quit. Seeing the Stones at Jazzfest would have been ideal for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:49 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 7715
Location: Dripping Springs
Interesting read on how the booking of the Stones came about …

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/entertainment_life/festivals/article_47d9610e-19ac-11e9-9bdf-33f4cb8c2714.html?platform=hootsuite


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:49 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 21305
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
They just added John Prine on my birthday.

But not a lot else that day, and I’d have to fight the Dave Matthews and pitbull crowds, so I still may sit it out

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:32 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 8665
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
This is my wife's THING. She goes every year, religiously. One of the last times I remember going Roy Orbison performed. :roll:

Fan since '54

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:57 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 21509
Location: Cincinnati, OH
The Stones postponed their tour and thus canceled their appearance.

The risk of putting all your eggs in a geriatric basket. 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:16 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 7715
Location: Dripping Springs
Well, let's see if Jazz Fest has a fall back position or will they just refund tickets and move on. Looks like Jerry Lee Lewis, Bob Seger and Jimmy Cliff are also out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:36 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 21305
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
With AARP sponsoring a tent this year, it all kind of stands to reason :angel:

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:05 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10407
sr wrote:
Well, let's see if Jazz Fest has a fall back position or will they just refund tickets and move on. Looks like Jerry Lee Lewis, Bob Seger and Jimmy Cliff are also out.

Refund tickets. Lol


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:31 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 7801
Location: Kingsport, Tennessee
Saw that Mick Jagger will have heart valve surgery. Discussed some of the main causes of valvular heart disease over the years with the resident who is rotating with me; several possibilities pop in my mind...

_________________
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:44 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 19124
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
AO Sig wrote:
Saw that Mick Jagger will have heart valve surgery. Discussed some of the main causes of valvular heart disease over the years with the resident who is rotating with me; several possibilities pop in my mind...
The most casual observer knows Mick lived a rock & roll life, but will drugs/sex/rock&roll cause a valve problem? I always thought parts just wear out once congenital conditions are ruled out. Edumacate me, please. (BTW, I had open heart surgery at age 9 in 1966 at NIH, Bethesda to repair an atrial septal defect—I’m donating my heart to science when I take a dirt nap so they can see how the Teflon patch fared.)

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group