Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:34 pm 
Emerald Circle

Jazzfest line up is out. Probably the deepest big-name list ever. I know that's not what most New Orleanians want (heck, I used to go for the local acts)... But this is an impressively-diverse and incredibly deep list. And they are clearly going for crowd numbers with DMB *AND* Buffett in the same year.

The Rolling Stones
Dave Matthews Band
Katy Perry
Jimmy Buffett & The Coral Reefer Band
Chris Stapleton
Bob Seger And The Silver Bullet Band
Pitbull
Santana
Van Morrison
Al Green
Logic
Earth, Wind & Fire
J Balvin
Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue with Nevilles
Gladys Knight
The Revivalists
Leon Bridges
John Fogerty
Chaka Khan
Herbie Hancock
Tank and The Bangas
Tom Jones
Bonnie Raitt
Ciara
Alanis Morissette
Irma Thomas
Gary Clark Jr.
The O'Jays
The Head and The Heart
The Doobie Brothers
Jimmy Cliff
Ziggy Marley
Aaron Neville
Boz Scaggs
Galactic
Jerry Lee Lewis
Indigo Girls
Rebirth Brass Band
Mavis Staples
Los Lobos
Ellis Marsalis Family Tribute featuring Wynton, Branford, Delfeayo, and Jason with Ellis Marsalis
Big Freedia
Kamasi Washington
Rita Coolidge
Buddy Guy
Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Better Than Ezra
Cowboy Mouth

Last edited by PeteRasche on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:42 pm 
President's Circle

MR. WORLDWIDE....DALÈ!!!!!! :dots:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:45 pm 
Regent's Circle

Holy Fats -

Last edited by sr on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:46 pm 
Emerald Circle

Notice the old traditional fest closer, the Neville Brothers, are joining the new closer, Trombone Shorty. Nice move for the 50th anniversary.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:11 pm 
Emerald Circle

Pete--Based on the TINY attendance last time Buffett played Jazz Fest (was it just last year?) I dont think he's going to rush up the numbers at all. I've never seen an emptier Acura, and it was nice weather. They've either oversaturated Buffett at Jazz Fest or else his fanbase has disapeared (I'm guessing its the saturation). They still have him because he loves playing Jazz Fest, is great friends in real life with Clint, and he ticks boxes with the age group/demographic that buys the big chief experience. But the turnout for him last time was truly tiny, and hasn't been "huge" the last FEW times he's played

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:28 pm 
President's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
Pete--Based on the TINY attendance last time Buffett played Jazz Fest (was it just last year?) I dont think he's going to rush up the numbers at all. I've never seen an emptier Acura, and it was nice weather. They've either oversaturated Buffett at Jazz Fest or else his fanbase has disapeared (I'm guessing its the saturation). They still have him because he loves playing Jazz Fest, is great friends in real life with Clint, and he ticks boxes with the age group/demographic that buys the big chief experience. But the turnout for him last time was truly tiny, and hasn't been "huge" the last FEW times he's played

sweet...sounds like I should go then.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:58 pm 
Regent's Circle

So many people on this list I'm like "they're still alive?!"
Would be a good celebrity death pool list

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:36 pm 
Emerald Circle

So a friend just messaged this (I assume he saw it somewhere online that is authoritative but I don't know):
Quote:
So apparently jazz fest is only allowing 30,000 people in for the day the Rolling Stones play. Basically they’re the only show that people are going to want to go see and that’s why there aren’t many acts playing that day.

If so, not cool. I mean, they handled 160k in 2001, why not let as many come as want to come? Honestly most Stones fans are so old that they'd be scared away by the logistics and possible weather of Fest.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:44 pm 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
So a friend just messaged this (I assume he saw it somewhere online that is authoritative but I don't know):
Quote:
So apparently jazz fest is only allowing 30,000 people in for the day the Rolling Stones play. Basically they’re the only show that people are going to want to go see and that’s why there aren’t many acts playing that day.

If so, not cool. I mean, they handled 160k in 2001, why not let as many come as want to come? Honestly most Stones fans are so old that they'd be scared away by the logistics and possible weather of Fest.

They're still alive?!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:41 pm 
Emerald Circle

More from said friend:
Quote:
Tickets for Thursday are north of $150. The website does indicate the higher price for Stones day. It also indicates that the local residents can go to the Superdome on Thursday and get discounted tickets for that day only if they choose. It does not state that there is a specific limit on the number of people but I have heard that through a reliable source that it will be 30,000.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:24 pm 
Regent's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Quote:

They're still alive?!

You guys mustn't be referencing Tulane Stones' fans …

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:03 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
More from said friend:
Quote:
Tickets for Thursday are north of $150. The website does indicate the higher price for Stones day. It also indicates that the local residents can go to the Superdome on Thursday and get discounted tickets for that day only if they choose. It does not state that there is a specific limit on the number of people but I have heard that through a reliable source that it will be 30,000.

For a bunch of geezers?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 am 
Coach Level

windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
More from said friend:
Quote:

For a bunch of geezers?

My out of town daughter is making my wife get in line on Thursday for tickets ( I think it's $165 each.) I told them they're nuts. Those guys are older than me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:47 am 
Regent's Circle

TU77CAL82 wrote:
windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
More from said friend:
Quote:

For a bunch of geezers?

My out of town daughter is making my wife get in line on Thursday for tickets ( I think it's $165 each.) I told them they're nuts. Those guys are older than me.

May may not come fast enough for half of the performers!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:50 am 
President's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
More from said friend:
Quote:

For a bunch of geezers?

May may not come fast enough for half of the performers!

Mick Jagger will probably have another kid by then

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:12 am 
Emerald Circle

I missed the Stones in the Dome in both 89 and 94. I've regretted it since, and their upcoming tour doesn't look to be coming even remotely close to here (not to mention cost) unless they add another bunch of dates. I don't care how old they are, Mick is still Mick and the rest of the guys just stand or sit around anyway, and they are an all-time legendary band. Simon & Garfunkel were past their prime in 2010 but I'm still glad I got to see them before they quit. Seeing the Stones at Jazzfest would have been ideal for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:49 am 
Regent's Circle

Interesting read on how the booking of the Stones came about …

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/entertainment_life/festivals/article_47d9610e-19ac-11e9-9bdf-33f4cb8c2714.html?platform=hootsuite