The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:09 am 
Emerald Circle

Follow the Path of Least Resistance: An Oral History of ‘Office Space’

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:03 pm 
Emerald Circle

Just watched most of it again today. It’s one of those movies I can watch any time it’s on. There’s a guy a few years older than me that I worked with over 12 years ago and we still randomly send quotes from the movie to each other from time to time. It helps that his birthday is the day before mine and there are good birthday related Milton lines!

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:43 pm 
Emerald Circle

I read that the other day (it's a long read!) and found it fascinating. Rather than seeing it on VHS/DVD like most folks, my wife (then girlfriend) and I saw it on a whim on a Friday night at a second-run theater for a couple of bucks. We both thought it was hysterical and couldn't believe it hadn't done better in its first run. We went back with several friends the following week after telling them how they "had to see it".

Twenty years later and so much of it still rings true about cubicle life. The walls might be shorter but the corporate "stuff" is still the same...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:25 pm 
Regent's Circle

To this day, whenever Office equipment starts acting up, “Damn It Feels Good to Be a Gangsta” comes to mind. Great film.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:11 pm 
Emerald Circle

My normally-up-on-all-pop-culture-things coworker who sits next to me (young, single guy) had somehow never seen it. It got brought up in discussion at lunch today and some other coworkers and I were talking about a certain scene and he finally said, "alright, I need to watch it." He found it on Hulu or Netflix or wherever and started watching the first 15 minutes or so at his desk before lunch ended. He left early this afternoon because he'd worked a few late nights, and went home and resumed watching the rest. I got texts from him through the afternoon with great quotes as he saw them for the first time. Kinda fun to see it through a first-timer's eyes 20 years later...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:54 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
My normally-up-on-all-pop-culture-things coworker who sits next to me (young, single guy) had somehow never seen it. It got brought up in discussion at lunch today and some other coworkers and I were talking about a certain scene and he finally said, "alright, I need to watch it." He found it on Hulu or Netflix or wherever and started watching the first 15 minutes or so at his desk before lunch ended. He left early this afternoon because he'd worked a few late nights, and went home and resumed watching the rest. I got texts from him through the afternoon with great quotes as he saw them for the first time. Kinda fun to see it through a first-timer's eyes 20 years later...
I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:44 am 
Emerald Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:
To this day, whenever Office equipment starts acting up, “Damn It Feels Good to Be a Gangsta” comes to mind. Great film.

Obligatory, and NSFW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:41 pm 
Regent's Circle

Lol; confused my Getto Boys bits.... (still VERY NSFW tho)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:
Lol; confused my Getto Boys bits.... (still VERY NSFW tho)

I love the backstory in the OP linked article about how Mike Judge wanted the camera angle so low in that scene that they had to dig a hole for the camera!