Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:53 pm 
Emerald Circle

I meant the mistake on the ribbon. Assuming, it was intentional or he would not have killed himself

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:45 pm 
Emerald Circle

I have to believe that lying and getting away with it is much more difficult these days than in the past because:
1. Most certifications or degrees can be confirmed with a quick internet search or email, and
2. Getting registered for many licenses requires confirmations to be sent digitally by references, previous employers, universities, etc.

For instance, there's absolutely no way you could fake qualifications for getting a P.E. license, at least in any of the 7 or 8 states in which I'm registered. It's all digital.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:03 am 
Emerald Circle

people do it all the time. i went for a shrimp poboy at a NOLA themed restaurant last Friday and asked the owners if they were from NOLA. she said no, but that they loved the city and went all the time. i asked them their favorite gumbo, couldn't name a spot....asked them their favorite poboy, couldn't name a spot - pretty clear they just opened a restaurant. they also both went to Illinois but had on LSU shirts :xmad:

and the poboy wasn't good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:15 am 
Emerald Circle

Yankeewave wrote:
people do it all the time. i went for a shrimp poboy at a NOLA themed restaurant last Friday and asked the owners if they were from NOLA. she said no, but that they loved the city and went all the time. i asked them their favorite gumbo, couldn't name a spot....asked them their favorite poboy, couldn't name a spot - pretty clear they just opened a restaurant. they also both went to Illinois but had on LSU shirts :xmad:

and the poboy wasn't good.
There’s a place in Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia which promises NOLA offerings. It’s not terrible. I struck up a conversation with the owners and though they weren’t from there they had spent lots of time there and ticked off their local influences. Their muffuletta was pretty decent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:11 am 
Emerald Circle

First lawsuits from students either denied entry or now see their degree as "devalued"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/usc-yale-university-among-colleges-sued-by-stanford-students-amid-college-admissions-scandal/ar-BBULwYT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:53 am 
Regent's Circle

OGSB wrote:

I think it's going to get ugly on that front

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:45 am 
Emerald Circle

When Joe Montana’s name surfaced yesterday my mom, who rarely says anything negative about anyone, sent me this:

Quote:
He must have cropped his son Nick’s face on a football player to make Tulane think he could play football...lol

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:11 am 
Riptide Level

PeteRasche wrote:
I have to believe that lying and getting away with it is much more difficult these days than in the past because:
1. Most certifications or degrees can be confirmed with a quick internet search or email, and
2. Getting registered for many licenses requires confirmations to be sent digitally by references, previous employers, universities, etc.

For instance, there's absolutely no way you could fake qualifications for getting a P.E. license, at least in any of the 7 or 8 states in which I'm registered. It's all digital.

They go over your application with a fine toothed comb. I remember they gave me a hard time because I was working while I got my masters. I had the required experience even if you didn't count the masters or if you didn't count my work experience while I got my masters. Either way should have been fine, but I had to write a supplemental letter about why they should consider that work experience.

I've heard a number of people get busted for saying they had a degree and did not. Seems like it's not happening as much now, but 10 years ago it was still going on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:35 pm 
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote:
...For instance, there's absolutely no way you could fake qualifications for getting a P.E. license, at least in any of the 7 or 8 states in which I'm registered. It's all digital.
In the case I cited, it's not that he successfully faked quals for getting the license. He claimed the license he did not have, and HR failed to follow up to assure they had a copy of the license in the file. They let him resign instead of firing him, because they wanted to downplay HR's irresponsibility. I suspect that many employers simply take someone's word for it that they have the license, and as long as they don't get called upon to actually approve a design, it might never be exposed.

Then again, I worked with many Professional Engineers (duly credentialed) who had no business calling themselves Engineers., because their understanding o basic principles was woeful. Three schools that gave them degrees registered prominently in my consciousness because I met so many from there: Pitt, Florida, and Baton Rouge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:51 pm 
Emerald Circle

Tulane sophomore unknowingly named as plaintiff in lawsuit over college bribery scandal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:07 am 
Emerald Circle

Roller wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
...For instance, there's absolutely no way you could fake qualifications for getting a P.E. license, at least in any of the 7 or 8 states in which I'm registered. It's all digital.
In the case I cited, it's not that he successfully faked quals for getting the license. He claimed the license he did not have, and HR failed to follow up to assure they had a copy of the license in the file. They let him resign instead of firing him, because they wanted to downplay HR's irresponsibility. I suspect that many employers simply take someone's word for it that they have the license, and as long as they don't get called upon to actually approve a design, it might never be exposed.

Oh, I wasn't trying to refute your story, just pointing out that these types of stories are more rare than they were even 10 or 15 years ago because of online requirements for certain things. Which is good IMO.

Roller wrote:
Then again, I worked with many Professional Engineers (duly credentialed) who had no business calling themselves Engineers., because their understanding o basic principles was woeful. Three schools that gave them degrees registered prominently in my consciousness because I met so many from there: Pitt, Florida, and Baton Rouge.
To be fair, there are those everywhere. You can study like crazy and pass a test but if you don't use the knowledge regularly, you tend to forget it. I've seen way too many firms that rely on rules of thumb and are only worried about getting jobs out the door on budget, and no one learns or even maintains anything. A guy who was a "vice president" at a firm where I previously worked (in line to be an owner when the current owner retired) got screwed over and came to interview at my firm a couple of years ago; after about 28 years in the business, he tested out as an entry-level engineer because he didn't know how to do even the most basic stuff. He basically is stuck at that (now sold to someone else) firm unless he decides to start refreshing his knowledge on his own... or takes a massive pay cut to move. Similarly I attended a seminar recently where a speaker told of a Principal Engineer, head of the entire mechanical department at a huge Boston firm, who didn't know how to use a fan curve, which meant anyone working there would not be learning it either.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:31 am 
Emerald Circle

This scandal also has the potential to reach into the college sports prep world—see the key figure in the test taking scam part of things—until yesterday he was head of the college prep faculty at IMG Academy, Bradenton, FL.

https://apple.news/A8YRi7PB1T3SYA0P_6PTmeA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:58 am 
Regent's Circle

so, Lori Loughlin is probably the one getting forked the worst in this scandal... first off, one of the two dumb as a rock kids of hers was blabbing for months on her Instagram that she was in college just for the parties, to be seen, and go to football games.... pretty nice to see that half mil was going to good use. Now, both kids are dropping out of USC... so I'm curious, does she get a partial refund on her bribe money?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:12 pm 
Emerald Circle

All of this bribery stuff, which is indeed serious and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, just tells me these folks are not too bright. They should have just upgraded the weight room at USC, purchased expensive manuscripts for the Yale library, or endowed a divinity professorship at Georgetown, just like it has always been done. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:23 pm 
President's Circle

TUPF wrote:
All of this bribery stuff, which is indeed serious and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, just tells me these folks are not too bright. They should have just upgraded the weight room at USC, purchased expensive manuscripts for the Yale library, or endowed a divinity professorship at Georgetown, just like it has always been done. 8)

They could've followed the Thornton Melon approach

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:37 pm 
Emerald Circle

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
TUPF wrote:

They could've followed the Thornton Melon approach
Reference page 1. :mrgreen:
viewtopic.php?p=739822#p739822

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:41 pm 
Regent's Circle

TUPF wrote:
This scandal also has the potential to reach into the college sports prep world—see the key figure in the test taking scam part of things—until yesterday he was head of the college prep faculty at IMG Academy, Bradenton, FL.

https://apple.news/A8YRi7PB1T3SYA0P_6PTmeA

This guy has been cooperating with the FBI for several months. I would be astounded if working with Singer was the only corruption he was involved in. It is safe to guess IMG and the academic record of every one of its grads (especially the high profile ones) will be under intense scrutiny now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:23 am 
Regent's Circle

Article posted online this morning by WSJ. I assume it will be in print paper tomorrow. It summarizes at a high lay level what colleges may do going forward.

Interesting tidbit. Singer was paying USC water polo assistants directly as "contractors" in exchange for preferred USC admissions as water polo walk-ons. It doesn't seem in practice nor form much different than shoe companies paying AAU "coaches/managers/handlers" for preferred admissions as alleged in current basketball corruption cases.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/colleges-r ... _lead_pos7

behind a paywall