Art Neville dies, aged 81.

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
long green
Cornerstone

Art Neville dies, aged 81.

Unread post by long green »

Of all the recent notable deaths in New Orleans, this one hurts the most. Art was a deceptively simple, plain man with a giant legacy in New Orleans music. While just a teenager, possibly still at Clark HS, he supplied the vocals for “Mardi Gras Mambo.” Of course he helped found The Meters and played for years with The Neville Brothers.

My favorite story involving Art came about in 2005. That year the original lineup of The Meters reunited at Jazz Fest with drummer Joseph “Zigaboo” Modeliste coming back. I’d seen The Meters any number of times prior to that set, usually with the excellent Russell Batiste on drums. Were they good like that? Sure. But with Zig back - he did more singing than you’d think a drummer would and played a shiny and tiny green kit that could have come out of a Sears catalog - well, I got it. I got what people said for years about The Meters and what they meant. It is still the best thing I’ve ever seen at Jazz Fest. It was so good it was almost worth the city getting destroyed four months later (almost). And it’s something you can never ever see again if you see every Fest forever, no matter how many huge stars they bring in. He had been sick for years, so at least that’s over. Bless his memory.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Art Neville dies, aged 81.

Unread post by TUPF »

The Meters (circa 1974) were my introduction to New Orleans music and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Just over a year before I might as well have been living on the moon, music-wise, as an expat living in Italy. That music that you described, long, was 18 YO me loving life.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

the Meters played at so many Tulane functions back in my day that they were like our House Band. Just a great unique very New Orleans sound.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

All through HS and all through Tulane - RIP Mr. Neville.

Through the years -

https://twitter.com/NOLAnews/status/115 ... 57248?s=20
Last edited by sr on Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

And, Oh My God, HOW could I forget he sang the BUDDY, BUDDY, BUDDY song? Sure we sucked, but that was a great campaign.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

God, how could anybody ever get that tune out of their head once they heard it! :lol:

longer lasting in our hearts and minds than anything Teevens ever did here..............................
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

Art & Aaron played at the first-ever rock concert I attended, at Municipal Auditorium in 1964. In those days, there were always a bunch of acts; the headliner on the bill was Bobby Goldsboro. Irma Thomas, Clarence Henry, Ernie K-doe, and Deacon John & the Ivories were also on the docket, iirc.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Roller wrote:Art & Aaron played at the first-ever rock concert I attended, at Municipal Auditorium in 1964. In those days, there were always a bunch of acts; the headliner on the bill was Bobby Goldsboro. Irma Thomas, Clarence Henry, Ernie K-doe, and Deacon John & the Ivories were also on the docket, iirc.
'Rock' concert ??
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

it's been a tough year for New Orleans music legends
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

My senior week at Tulane started with a crawfish boil on the UC Quad; beer and the Neville brothers on a warm Sunday afternoon. All of the great music is indelibly etched in my soul.

His daughter, Arthel, is a fixture on Fox News; I was amazed when I happened upon her interviewing someone from Louisiana who expressed surprise when she said she was from New Orleans and understoond the interviewee's perspective.

This has been a tough year for the New Orleans music scene, no doubt. RIP
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

sr wrote:
Roller wrote:Art & Aaron played at the first-ever rock concert I attended, at Municipal Auditorium in 1964. In those days, there were always a bunch of acts; the headliner on the bill was Bobby Goldsboro. Irma Thomas, Clarence Henry, Ernie K-doe, and Deacon John & the Ivories were also on the docket, iirc.
'Rock' concert ??
Everybody's talking 'bout the new sound, Honey, but it's still Rock 'n' Roll to me.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

I am more than a little late to this eulogy, but IMHO, All These Things, sung by Art Neville, was the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jr03ca ... KM&index=1

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Unread post by Cheerleader »

All These Things was first recorded by my high school buddy, Joe Stampley and the Uniques. It was a hit for Joe, but Art made it famous.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

RIP