PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:54 pm 
Emerald Circle

https://www.nola.com/news/article_5630478a-ed15-11e9-8620-3fb22c77f304.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:07 pm 
Emerald Circle

I saw that picture this morning and thought "oh, the lawsuits...."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:56 am 
Regent's Circle

yeah, think of how much the contractor's insurance is going to pay out.. and they are most likely losing the contract when it's all knocked down and started over again

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:44 am 
Regent's Circle

Worth noting that half of the city's office of inspections and permits is under emergency suspension pending their indictments. No word yet on whether it's related or not, but it certainly seems like the kind of thing that could be the result of shoddy inspections/permitting.

Meanwhile, at least two people are dead and another missing. A big chunk of downtown is closed off, as more collapse is likely. There's harrowing video online of the collapse and a view from a streetcar that barely missed being crushed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:03 am 
Regent's Circle

I realize they have construction insurance, but what are the chances HR clears the site and just moves on? Are they obligated to continue ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:22 am 
Regent's Circle

sr wrote:
I realize they have construction insurance, but what are the chances HR clears the site and just moves on? Are they obligated to continue ?

Interesting point but a small minority may pass on staying at a potentially rebuilt hotel there as bad luck. Maybe enough to sink economic prospects? Regardless I assume "fixing/clearing" construction site will impact traffic, commerce and living in that area for months. It's not only the Saengar that is within that footprint.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:45 pm 
Emerald Circle

sr wrote:
They're not the ones doing the construction, there's a developer (Kailas family) who's on the hook for that. Interestingly, either the father or the son (I can't remember) went to jail for fraud against the Road Home program.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:30 pm 
Regent's Circle

ml wave wrote:
sr wrote:
They're not the ones doing the construction, there's a developer (Kailas family) who's on the hook for that. Interestingly, either the father or the son (I can't remember) went to jail for fraud against the Road Home program.

Son

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:21 am 
Emerald Circle

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hard- ... li=BBnb7Kz
Hard Rock Hotel New Orleans collapse: Former site engineer weighs in
Quote:
NEW ORLEANS – On Saturday morning, structural engineer Walter Zehner’s phone rang with news of a devastating construction collapse on a site he once worked.

The plan for 1031 Canal St. had completely changed since Zehner left the project approximately three years ago, moving from a mixed use retail/residential design to what was planned to be a Hard Rock Hotel.
“It was a lot worse than I could have imagined,” Zehner said. “And I’ve seen the videos of the collapse and it’s kind of hard to figure out exactly what was going on there."
“It’s almost like problem solving, like being a detective,” Zehner said. “I’m sure eventually I’m going to be called by somebody’s attorney to help them on this one.”
"So I don’t know how that progression worked like that. I guess that’s part of what the investigation is going to reveal.”

"Engineer weighs in". Uh, no, any of you reading this could have said what he said. Seriously, this article tells you nothing. All this guy basically said was "I'm gonna get paid a lot by someone to be an expert witness so I'm not saying anything about it until I get handed a paycheck."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:08 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
sr wrote:

Son
In fairness, I'm sure the dad was equally guilty and just didn't get caught.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:37 pm 
President's Circle

wonder if the concrete company is Landrieu Concrete- would explain why the collapse occurred

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:58 pm 
Regent's Circle

Video taken by a worker pre-collapse showing what seems (to this layman) to be horrendously bad engineering.

https://www.nola.com/news/article_d82bade0-f032-11e9-aaf6-231f92b121e2.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:08 pm 
Cornerstone

GretnaGrn wrote:
Video taken by a worker pre-collapse showing what seems (to this layman) to be horrendously bad engineering.

Does that link work? I cannot get it to load. Is it me, or is the Advocate quashing it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:49 pm 
Regent's Circle

Roller wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:

Does that link work? I cannot get it to load. Is it me, or is the Advocate quashing it?

Works for me, using Chrome. The video is embedded in the article and worked fine when I posted it.

Just checked again; it works for me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:18 am 
Cornerstone

GretnaGrn wrote:
Roller wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:

Works for me, using Chrome. The video is embedded in the article and worked fine when I posted it.

Thanks.
Still doesn't work for me. Tried 4 different browsers, all with the same result--all I see is the spinning circle that indicates it's loading, but it never finishes loading. Maybe it's behind a pay wall, or there's an app of some sort that I don't have installed. Oh well; it would have been interesting to see.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:25 am 
Regent's Circle

Roller wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
Roller wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:

Thanks.
Still doesn't work for me. Tried 4 different browsers, all with the same result--all I see is the spinning circle that indicates it's loading, but it never finishes loading. Maybe it's behind a pay wall, or there's an app of some sort that I don't have installed. Oh well; it would have been interesting to see.

Strange. No paywall and I'm just using the chrome browser without any add-ons. Sorry it's not working; it's low quality video showing very obviously bent (and seemingly widely spaced) supports and severe problems with pooling water, with someone commenting (in Spanish) on how bad it all is.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:04 pm 
Coach Level

They're bringing down the two tower cranes with explosives on Friday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:33 pm 
Regent's Circle

TU77CAL82 wrote:

Moved to Saturday. Large chunk of the quarter will be under evacuation orders when they do it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:44 pm 
Emerald Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:

Moved to Saturday. Large chunk of the quarter will be under evacuation orders when they do it.

Now noon Sunday at the earliest.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:50 pm 
Emerald Circle

OGSB wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:

They’re down. Video at the link

https://www.nola.com/news/article_2a43feb8-f15d-11e9-869f-d72bf0c9ee92.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:55 pm 
Regent's Circle

Did anyone else "feel" the explosions when the cranes were detonated @ the site. My wife told me she checked with a mapsite and found out that our residence is 3.5 miles from the HRH.

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:15 pm 
President's Circle

OGSB wrote:
OGSB wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:

Down-ish...one is hanging on top of the building.

Didn’t really get how they kept saying it was going to fold in like an umbrella and drop straight down when the booms were obviously long enough that they were going to hit the building before folding in.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:03 am 
Regent's Circle

MattK wrote:
OGSB wrote:
OGSB wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:

Down-ish...one is hanging on top of the building.

Didn’t really get how they kept saying it was going to fold in like an umbrella and drop straight down when the booms were obviously long enough that they were going to hit the building before folding in.

The other impaled Rampart Street.

BTW, apparently a factor in the delay was the developer not paying the demolition company until Saturday. If that's true, they should never see a city permit for anything ever again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:38 am 
Coach Level

GretnaGrn wrote:
BTW, apparently a factor in the delay was the developer not paying the demolition company until Saturday. If that's true, they should never see a city permit for anything ever again.

Hard Rock actually came up with the money to pay for the demolition after the developer could not (would not?). I don't know who it will be, but I have to believe that someone will be going to jail before this is all over.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:55 am 
Regent's Circle

TU77CAL82 wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:

Hard Rock actually came up with the money to pay for the demolition after the developer could not (would not?). I don't know who it will be, but I have to believe that someone will be going to jail before this is all over.

Agreed. The developer already has a member of the company in jail for other shenanigans. This really should shut them down completely. Thank goodness the project was tied to a company (Hard Rock) big enough to care about the PR and write a five million dollar check.