Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Philadelphia food primer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:58 pm 
Emerald Circle

Yes, I can quibble with the cheesesteak choices but on the whole this is as good a primer as I have ever seen. The roast pork sandwich at DiNic’s is one of my favorites. Consider this a guide for when you guys come to Philly in November to watch us beat Temple. I don’t think any food scene overall can top New Orleans, but Philly does pretty well.

https://apple.news/AYslmuXqiQeqlDIVTguAFPw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:54 am 
Emerald Circle

I haven’t been to Philadelphia since I was like 22, and have very few food memories. So I have no horse in this race one way or the other. But in the two semesters since the whole Anthony Bourdain thing has taken over my professional life,I’ve found myself needing to re-watch tons of his shows, and one of the most shocking/controversial moments I’ve come across is his claim that the philly cheesecakes just across the river in Jersey are better than the ones in Philly.

Thoughts?

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:10 am 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
I haven’t been to Philadelphia since I was like 22, and have very few food memories. So I have no horse in this race one way or the other. But in the two semesters since the whole Anthony Bourdain thing has taken over my professional life,I’ve found myself needing to re-watch tons of his shows, and one of the most shocking/controversial moments I’ve come across is his claim that the philly cheesecakes just across the river in Jersey are better than the ones in Philly.

Thoughts?
Its not shocking at all. Folks move around the Lancaster to Philly to South Jersey area all the time, including restaurants. My wife is a Philly girl but like most, the life’s journey looks like this: grow up in cheap housing in South Philly where each wave of immigrants stakes themselves—her Sicilian grandparents arrived in 1921, her Jewish Hungarian and Russian grandparents escaped Eastern European pogroms in the early 1900s and settled in the then Jewish Northern Liberties part of Philly. Her Jewish father marries the Sicilian Catholic girl in the 50s when such things weren’t done. In her tweens the family moves to the Philly suburbs and becomes true “Med-e-cons”, all the while returning downtown for Sunday dinners with the Sicilians or the Hungarians. Later in life, the empty nesters move back into downtown Philly because of the restaurants, it’s walkability, the sports teams, the arts and music. All along the way, those restaurant families are doing the same thing—to South Jersey, to Lancaster, and sometimes back.

There is nothing magic about Philadelphia city line when it comes to food or much else really. Because this is a colonial eastern US city, it is dense and walkable unlike say Dallas or Indianapolis. So if you want to hop on the Ben Franklin or Walt Whitman Bridge and be in south Jersey in 10 minutes for a good cheesesteak, no one bats an eye. Philadelphia taxes earned income for residents and non residents alike and that drives some business decisions too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:23 am 
Emerald Circle

Makes sense. Thanks for the interesting OP and response!

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16