Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:23 am 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 16700
A Long-Lost Legendary Roman Fruit Tree Has Been Grown From 2,000-Year-Old Seeds

_________________
Past performance is no guarantee of future results


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:16 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 22036
Location: Chicago
Saw this earlier in the week. I'd buy the dates at least once to try them if they started commercial growing

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:29 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 23120
Location: Cincinnati, OH
That's pretty freakin' cool!

(you know, as long as they don't grow wild and turn on the scientists :lol:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:17 am 
Offline
Breaker Level
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:16 am
Posts: 475
PeteRasche wrote:
That's pretty freakin' cool!

(you know, as long as they don't grow wild and turn on the scientists :lol:)


Hey kids.....Remember when the Zombie Apocalypse started when those killer trees were planted & we ate their fruit.....lololololol

_________________
You're killin' me Smalls!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:32 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 6573
Location: Gretna, LA
BACONWAVE wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
That's pretty freakin' cool!

(you know, as long as they don't grow wild and turn on the scientists :lol:)


Hey kids.....Remember when the Zombie Apocalypse started when those killer trees were planted & we ate their fruit.....lololololol

https://www.ea.com/studios/popcap/plants-vs-zombies


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:00 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 7254
I hate dates but I’d try these just to be in a taste test with Pliny the Elder.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:11 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 7953
Location: Kingsport, Tennessee
Sounds like something my mother would enjoy. My siblings have a bit of a game, where they go into her cupboard and refrigerator and try and find things that are past date; the challenge is to find the thing most past the expiration date. So far I think 5 years was the longest in the past 2 years...

_________________
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:42 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 22188
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
This is certainly moving the needle on how far back, but seed libraries have been used for centuries to do this basic thing. See the righteous work that Anson Mills has done in SC bringing back benne and other seeds after industrialization and the proliferation of (the least flavorful version of) sesame became ubiquitous in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. They've done the same for carolina gold rice.

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:09 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 22036
Location: Chicago
WaveProf wrote:
This is certainly moving the needle on how far back, but seed libraries have been used for centuries to do this basic thing. See the righteous work that Anson Mills has done in SC bringing back benne and other seeds after industrialization and the proliferation of (the least flavorful version of) sesame became ubiquitous in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. They've done the same for carolina gold rice.



2000 years > 150 years

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:15 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 22188
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Thank you for enlightening me. Our book learnin' never included no numerations in my holler :roll: :roll: :roll:

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:29 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 22036
Location: Chicago
WaveProf wrote:
Thank you for enlightening me. Our book learnin' never included no numerations in my holler :roll: :roll: :roll:


Well considering you equated the two....

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:32 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 22188
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
"This is certainly moving the needle on how far back" is the precise opposite of equating something.

Putting you back on mute for a while. Life was lots more funner when I had you there.

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:54 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 23120
Location: Cincinnati, OH
AO Sig wrote:
Sounds like something my mother would enjoy. My siblings have a bit of a game, where they go into her cupboard and refrigerator and try and find things that are past date; the challenge is to find the thing most past the expiration date. So far I think 5 years was the longest in the past 2 years...
My parents moved from my childhood house to a condo in 1999 (actually larger than the house). In 2016 they moved to an independent living unit in a huge retirement community, the square footage of which was almost the same as the condo. My mother developed dementia and in 2018 we had to downsize them several thousand square feet to a 600 SF assisted living unit. During the course of getting the dementia diagnosed, we came to realize it was beginning as far back as their move in 2016, because my mother basically didn't cull through anything, she just had the movers pack up and move everything.

In the massive downsizing, which my wife and I accomplished, we found some dry goods and some seldom-used food items in the back of the fridge with expiration dates in the late 90s. That means not only were the items ~20 years old, but my parents had moved them in the late 90s from the house to their condo, then the movers moved them again in 2016 across town to the retirement community... expired food had moved twice. :shock:

Their liquor cabinet also had a few bottles which were circa 1960s... and not in an "aged = better" sort of way... more like cream-based liqueors which had literally congealed into solid masses, and sweet flavored schnapps- and brandy-type stuff that was horribly funky. :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:11 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 20054
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
You win. The worst I’ve seen is oranges in my mother-in-law’s fruit bowl there so long they had petrified into the size of golf balls. About the same density too.

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:48 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 32475
Location: 30°37'40.6"N 81°27'02.4"W
PeteRasche wrote:
...Their liquor cabinet also had a few bottles which were circa 1960s... and not in an "aged = better" sort of way...
I've got a bottle of Jim Beam (unopened) that was bottled at 12 years old in 1957. Or at least, I surmise that because it was in a holiday-decorated box that had a hand-written "Merry Christmas, Irwin--XMAS'57" on it. I inherited that when my stepfather passed away. A few years later, my basement flooded, and the cardboard box disintegrated. As a result, I lost the note, but I've kept the bourbon as a keepsake, since it was distilled before I was born. ONe of these day, though, for some special occasion, I'm going to crack it open and share it with some close friends. If it's turned putrid (does it ever do that?), I'll have a side bottle that I can toss into the gap.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:57 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 8525
Location: Charlotte
it was just recently that I tossed some stuff from my pantry that I realized had been with us in our apartment... two moves ago... we moved in 2012 and again in 2016.

Not as bad, but still shaking my head with "why did we move this expired crap... twice?"

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:15 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 6573
Location: Gretna, LA
Roller wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
...Their liquor cabinet also had a few bottles which were circa 1960s... and not in an "aged = better" sort of way...
I've got a bottle of Jim Beam (unopened) that was bottled at 12 years old in 1957. Or at least, I surmise that because it was in a holiday-decorated box that had a hand-written "Merry Christmas, Irwin--XMAS'57" on it. I inherited that when my stepfather passed away. A few years later, my basement flooded, and the cardboard box disintegrated. As a result, I lost the note, but I've kept the bourbon as a keepsake, since it was distilled before I was born. ONe of these day, though, for some special occasion, I'm going to crack it open and share it with some close friends. If it's turned putrid (does it ever do that?), I'll have a side bottle that I can toss into the gap.

If the seal is good it shouldn't change in flavor much either way. Bourbon gets the aging flavor from being in a cask; access to air and the wood in the casks all plays a part in that process. Once it's in a bottle, assuming the seal is good, it won't change.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group