We still need to laugh...

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

We still need to laugh...

Post by Johnny Mac »

even during a pandemic, we still need humor... there are countless funny memes out there and people, feel free to share

Kinda funny one I saw today:

Tom Hanks is quarantined with his wife on Australia, which is essentially a big island. So, once again, he's stuck on an island with Wilson.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Re: We still need to laugh...

Post by OGSB »

Past performance is no guarantee of future results

Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Thanks for posting this thread Johnny Mac. Yes, we need to laugh. As they say, "Laughter is the best medicine". But I just wanted to extrapolate on that thought by saying to everyone here and their families. I sincerely hope that this virus does not affect anyone here on YOGWF and their family and friends. And we here are a FAMILY of sorts also. And as families we often do not agree on things. But this is one instance where we can all agree on something. So be safe my friends and family.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"

Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Fan Since '54 wrote:Thanks for posting this thread Johnny Mac. Yes, we need to laugh. As they say, "Laughter is the best medicine". But I just wanted to extrapolate on that thought by saying to everyone here and their families. I sincerely hope that this virus does not affect anyone here on YOGWF and their family and friends. And we here are a FAMILY of sorts also. And as families we often do not agree on things. But this is one instance where we can all agree on something. So be safe my friends and family.

Fan since '54
Isn't there a "science" to the "laughter is the best medicine" and it having to do with the hormones and other chemicals in the body that are produced during times of happiness and laughter which I guess could boost the immune system? If prayer is what gives you that additional strength, then I guess do that as well.

Perhaps the MDs on this page can chime in with the physiological aspects of laughing. Also, if you are quarantining, go outside anyway... get as much vitamin D produced by the sun as you can. I think a bulk of the population thinks that the flu spreads in winter because we're all in close proximity to one another, but they fail to consider the fact that not being outdoors creates vitamin D deficiencies in everyone, causing our immune systems to be at "less than optimal".

AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I am not sure about laughter, but I know the opposite- stress and depression have a negative effect on autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. Johns Hopkins found that half of the lupus patients in their cohort also had symptoms that put them as having fibromyalgia, which is a chronic pain condition which includes fatigue, muscle symptoms, and depression in a fair percentage. as such, I think that a positive "upbeat" attitude, etc would be beneficial for health. Will see what I can find on this topic from my sources.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Quick update- laughter has been shown to reduce inflammatory cytokines (the small proteins that stimulate inflammation- you hear ads about some of them such as interleukin-6) in patients with rheumatoid arthritis; unfortunately,m similar studies have not shown such a reduction in patients with lupus.

Laughter therapy has been shown to be beneficial in elderly patients; since COVID affects the elderly and infirm more, one could support its potential for benefiting these patients. Don't think it can hurt; not sure it will cause patients to "die laughing."

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

I actually was going to start a coronavirus meme thread a couple of days ago because they are FREAKING COMEDY GOLD but they're almost all on Facebook and you can't get a clean link that makes it show here, and I didn't feel like saving them all to some online photo storage place and going through all that...

then I realized that I could just google "coronovirus memes" and find most of them anyway.

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Isn't this how we killed the aliens in War of the Worlds?
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

some home related "comedy".. I checked in on my mom to make sure she's handling things OK.. she uses a home grocery delivery service and doesn't go out a lot since her knees started acting up.. anyway, she said her grocery service has a one week wait for delivery and that my sister can't find toilet paper anywhere (this is in the northern suburbs of Boston)... so I jokingly text my sister "Mom said I need to FedEx you some toilet paper".. as we have, pun intended, a shiat ton of it here in my garage... thanks to my wife starting to hoard stuff a week ago before everyone else panicked. My sister replied "I will reimburse you, whatever the cost"... so now I am sending a box of three 12 packs of Cottonelle to suburban Boston via 2nd day air.

Funny and sad.

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Johnny Mac wrote:some home related "comedy".. I checked in on my mom to make sure she's handling things OK.. she uses a home grocery delivery service and doesn't go out a lot since her knees started acting up.. anyway, she said her grocery service has a one week wait for delivery and that my sister can't find toilet paper anywhere (this is in the northern suburbs of Boston)... so I jokingly text my sister "Mom said I need to FedEx you some toilet paper".. as we have, pun intended, a shiat ton of it here in my garage... thanks to my wife starting to hoard stuff a week ago before everyone else panicked. My sister replied "I will reimburse you, whatever the cost"... so now I am sending a box of three 12 packs of Cottonelle to suburban Boston via 2nd day air.

Funny and sad.

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

That’s some expensive poop paper...or as my British son-in-law says...loo roll.
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

Y'all take care of your parents, even if that means staying away from them. Mine are in assisted living and their facility basically locked its doors to any visitors at 6 pm Friday night. I went and visited briefly shortly before that, but they're on their own for a while.

I'm assuming those places have means to access toilet paper...

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

Memes I have seen which were just written by someone on social media and are not saved anywhere that they can be shared (except likely-broken links to the app):
"And just like that, spankings and prayer are back in school. #HomeSchool2020"
"wow... bars, clubs, and gyms all closed? My life is about to seriously be exactly the same."
"September morning 2050: John opened the last package of toilet paper bought by his parents in 2020"
"Due to the quarantine, I'll only be telling inside jokes."

krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

People: "we want 2020 to be like the roaring 20s!"

Earth: "no problem, infectious disease is spreading!"

People: "no, not like that..."

Earth "lol the stock market is tanking!"

People: "wait...."

Earth: "LMAO bars can't even be open anymore!"
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt

TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

From a tweet . . .

Honestly hadn't planned on giving up quite this much for Lent.

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

TU77CAL82 wrote:From a tweet . . .

Honestly hadn't planned on giving up quite this much for Lent.
Funny you mentioned this; my daughter has a friend who had given up eating out for Lent; the changes made it easy for her to adhere to this.

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

OGSB wrote:Image
I saw a follow up to this, that had the bottom portion of this at the top and said "what I thought I'd be wearing for the apocalypse" and the bottom was the lower half of someone in pajama pants and said "what I'm actually wearing".

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

PeteRasche wrote:
OGSB wrote:Image
I saw a follow up to this, that had the bottom portion of this at the top and said "what I thought I'd be wearing for the apocalypse" and the bottom was the lower half of someone in pajama pants and said "what I'm actually wearing".
Heh. I think I saw that one