Tulane Ave on first list of proposed street name changes

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
tufinal4
Navigator Level

Tulane Ave on first list of proposed street name changes

Post by tufinal4 »

According to this evening's nola.com site.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Tulane Ave on first list of proposed street name changes

Post by PeteRasche »

All I know about Paul Tulane is he gave money and the school was named after him... literally nothing more. Does he have a bad past, or is this just a "there are people who fit the current trend more" situation?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:51 am All I know about Paul Tulane is he gave money and the school was named after him... literally nothing more. Does he have a bad past, or is this just a "there are people who fit the current trend more" situation?
Quick Wikipedia search (which is probably how the list makers started) shows he was the largest donor to the Confederate States of America.
I'm not advocating a name change, but how mad would ULL be if we went back to University of Louisiana? :lol:
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

A while back I was googling around and found that the University Archivist had done a review of the archives for information about Paul Tulane and the university itself during that period. You can go look for your self, but a few things I remember are:
  • There's no evidence that Paul Tulane had slaves either at his home or his business
  • There's no evidence that the University itself owned slaves or utilized slave labor. (They have receipts.)
The Wikipedia article states that Paul Tulane was the largest donor to the Confederacy in N.O., but no one appears to know how much money he gave. Seems a bit weak. What's also a little weird is that he had apparently moved back to New Jersey by the time of the war. It's confirmed that he did pay for the Confederate monument in Metairie Cemetery.

I recently read a statement by someone (who I can't remember) saying that there's a difference between honoring someone for doing something good in spite of their sins, and honoring someone FOR their sins. I tend to agree with that. I'm not sure why the city changed the name of Common Street to Tulane Avenue back in the 1890's. Honestly, if they want to change the name again, it's really not a big deal. I would suggest, though, that they change the name to Green Wave Avenue, just to annoy LSU Health Sciences.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Yeah, Nicholls has a slightly bigger problem.
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Funny thing about Tulane Avenue. Many relatives live in New Mexico near Santa Fe but it’s mostly cheaper to fly into and out of ABQ. Close to the airport there is a Tulane Ave along with a few other college themed streets. It just strikes me as odd considering any number of other college possibilities.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Let's be honest, "donated to a Confederate cause" is all the reason that today's crusaders need. You'd think (as gerry pointed out) that there would be bigger fish to fry first - but they'd just as soon fry ALL the fish down to the tiniest minnow.

Of course one also has to figure that there's probably a bias against the Tulane name in New Orleans, period, amongst various groups (those who dislike anyone from the North, those who support the school upriver, those who rail against the United States University system in general, etc., etc.) For the entity that employs the most New Orleanians, we sure have plenty who find a reason to dislike us and anything associated with our name. And it's a lot easier to get a street name changed than to try to get the University to change its name, so they're probably "picking a battle they can win" to make themselves feel good.

TUPF wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:51 amFunny thing about Tulane Avenue. Many relatives live in New Mexico near Santa Fe but it’s mostly cheaper to fly into and out of ABQ. Close to the airport there is a Tulane Ave along with a few other college themed streets. It just strikes me as odd considering any number of other college possibilities.
I was in ABQ a few years back on business and had about 2 hours free on my last day before we had to head to the airport so my colleagues and I decided to walk one of the main drags of Route 66 (with all the neon and classic architecture). Lo and behold, there was Tulane Avenue. I had a friend take my picture in front of the street sign.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Lest we forget history, the "War between the States" was fought because the southern states believed they had the right to make laws that were to be followed in their own state.

Fan Since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Fan Since '54 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:45 am Lest we forget history, the "War between the States" was fought because the southern states believed they had the right to make laws that were to be followed in their own state.

Fan Since '54
And clearly '54 was starting juju threads for the CSA. Didn't realize it was 1854 until now
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Fan Since '54 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:45 am Lest we forget history, the "War between the States" was fought because the southern states believed they had the right to make laws that were to be followed in their own state.

Fan Since '54
No.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:32 pm

Fan Since '54
And clearly '54 was starting juju threads for the CSA. Didn't realize it was 1854 until now
Didn't realize the confederacy predated secession by a decade
#cousins don't count
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Fan Since '54
But if a Northern state wanted to nullify a federal Fugitive slave law it was as if John C Calhoun never existed.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:32 pm
gerryb323 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:32 pm

Fan Since '54
Didn't realize the confederacy predated secession by a decade
Silly, you know the Confederacy is a mindset
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

When I was a kid, many men still wore a suit every day, and especially at dinner time. All of the adult men I recall wore Tulane brand dress shirts. I never really connected the University, the Avenue, and the shirt company until years later when the company was no longer around, and we started seeing shirts from VanHeusen and others. As a child, I was under the impression that Tulane shirts were the predominant dress shirt in the world, and when I learned they were made in New Orleans, I was extremely proud to be a Louisianan.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Roller wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:20 pm When I was a kid, many men still wore a suit every day, and especially at dinner time. All of the adult men I recall wore Tulane brand dress shirts. I never really connected the University, the Avenue, and the shirt company until years later when the company was no longer around, and we started seeing shirts from VanHeusen and others. As a child, I was under the impression that Tulane shirts were the predominant dress shirt in the world, and when I learned they were made in New Orleans, I was extremely proud to be a Louisianan.
And I literally just learned that from you. Had no idea Tulane made clothing.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:41 am
Roller wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:20 pm When I was a kid, many men still wore a suit every day, and especially at dinner time. All of the adult men I recall wore Tulane brand dress shirts. I never really connected the University, the Avenue, and the shirt company until years later when the company was no longer around, and we started seeing shirts from VanHeusen and others. As a child, I was under the impression that Tulane shirts were the predominant dress shirt in the world, and when I learned they were made in New Orleans, I was extremely proud to be a Louisianan.
I don't think it was the university.
maddog
President's Circle

Post by maddog »

The Tulane shirt company had NOTHING to do with Paul Tulane. Mr. Tulane's will left wealth to endow an institution to educate young WHITE people of Louisiana. The street and university are named for him. The street is certainly a dead duck. The university will be a more complicated undertaking. Stay tuned boys and girls. Perhaps Josephine Newcomb shall emerge from the bullpen.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:52 am
I meant the guy, not the university. But maybe (per maddog) it wasn't related. So I'm back to not knowing something that wasn't right anyway. :lol:
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:12 am
I meant the guy, not the university. But maybe (per maddog) it wasn't related. So I'm back to not knowing something that wasn't right anyway. :lol:
Wait, how old do you think Roller is that Paul Tulane was making shirts when he was a kid...on second thought, don't answer that.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:25 pm
Wait, how old do you think Roller is that Paul Tulane was making shirts when he was a kid...on second thought, don't answer that.
Considering Roller and Caesar got their togas from the same guy....
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:26 pm
I think roller invented the loom the shirts were made on!
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

having met Roller, him in a toga is not an image I relish having in my head, at the moment...

thanks
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Johnny Mac wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:47 pm
having met Roller, him in a toga is not an image I relish having in my head, at the moment...

thanks
Hey you're the one that was wrestling him nude at the baths before heading to the gladiator fight, not me.
#cousins don't count
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

maddog wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:59 am The Tulane shirt company had NOTHING to do with Paul Tulane. Mr. Tulane's will left wealth to endow an institution to educate young WHITE people of Louisiana. The street and university are named for him. The street is certainly a dead duck. The university will be a more complicated undertaking. Stay tuned boys and girls. Perhaps Josephine Newcomb shall emerge from the bullpen.
Paul Tulane & Co. was a dry-goods and clothing company. I can't swear it's the same Tulane shirts company; I just always assumed it was. Perhaps somebody could verify one way or another. I wasn't able to find anything online beyond the Paul Tulane entry in Wikipedia. I don't know exactly when the company folded, but I think they were still around in the early 1960s; I know that lots of the shirts were still around then.

Edit: Upon further reading, the wiki informs me that he started his dry-goods company in 1822 and operated it for 40 years. Sot he later company ay well have been a "tribute band" kinda thing.