No Mardi Gras parades 2021

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

No Mardi Gras parades 2021

Post by PeteRasche »

https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/people-r ... 32003.html

How did y'all not post this already? Kind of a big deal...

WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Re: No Mardi Gras parades 2021

Post by WaveProf »

I think because it was assumed locally so it's only really news nationally?

KdV announced a couple of weeks ago they were doing art installations around town rather than parading. About four other parades had flat out canceled over the last month. And rumors and details abounded for anyone who knew anyone even slightly higher up in any other krewe. Not to mention if anyone just took a simple look at COVID numbers and it was pretty obvious there was no way to have big organized parades (and crowds watching them). And so it had become a matter of when not if.

But you can cancel parades, but you can't cancel Carnival. To some degree I think it's a bit of an exciting opportunity to see what pops up. Neighborhood parading clubs? Pop up art? People drinking on the neutral ground just for fun? People playing MG music on their front porch? Carnival won't stop just because the 1.5 approved parade routes full of the same 20 big floats stop running on rinse and repeat.

And I'll pretty much guarantee my family will be in costume SOMEwhere doing SOMEthing on Mardi Gras day. Now WHAT that something is and WHERE it is, will be determined by COVID numbers and how many tourists (and Jeff Parish peeps) come rolling into town. But hopefully this announcement will HELP cull those numbers a LITTLE bit.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

The article emphasized that Carnival isn't canceled (it's a holiday), just the parades, and I made sure my subject line was worded that way.

WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:25 am
The article emphasized that Carnival isn't canceled (it's a holiday), just the parades, and I made sure my subject line was worded that way.
Yes, read the article. Wasn't a shot at you in any way! Just saying why I think there wasn't a bigger reaction quicker. The reaction was pretty ho-hum even on NOLATwitter
Last edited by WaveProf on Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Prof: Drinking on the neutral ground just for fun?

How long have you lived in New Orleans? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

TUPF wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:42 am
Prof: Drinking on the neutral ground just for fun?

How long have you lived in New Orleans? :lol: :lol: :lol:
:green wink: :green wink: :green wink: