Worst cheating scandal at West Point in 45 years

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Worst cheating scandal at West Point in 45 years

Post by TUPF »

I take no pleasure in this. Very disappointed.

And on a Calculus exam no less. :roll:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 856130002/
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Re: Worst cheating scandal at West Point in 45 years

Post by ml wave »

Well, records are made to be broken...
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

probation for the remainder of their time at the Point?

At my alma mater, if you so much as fibbed about what you ate for breakfast, you were gone and banned from campus for life.

Softies.

:angel: :angel: :angel: :coolshades: :coolshades: :coolshades:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Approved by Experts
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

OGSB wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:16 pm Move it to the sports board:

Army football players among 73 cadets who cheated on calculus final exam in May
So we beat cheaters and cheaters beat Navy. I couldn't figure out from the article but are they still on for the Liberty Bowl?
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

TUPF wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:30 pm
OGSB wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:16 pm Move it to the sports board:

Army football players among 73 cadets who cheated on calculus final exam in May
So we beat cheaters and cheaters beat Navy. I couldn't figure out from the article but are they still on for the Liberty Bowl?
Maybe

A few have played in football games this season after having been accused of cheating. Some of those players could dress and play in the Liberty Bowl on Thursday, according to Army Lt. Col. Christopher Ophardt, a West Point spokesman.

They're allowed to play because West Point's superintendent in October suspended a policy that limited or prevented cadets found in violation of the academy's honor code from representing the academy in public, including athletes at sports events.

The suspended rule would have made the players who were caught cheating on the exam ineligible to play after Nov. 30 when they were found guilty of cheating. The official punishment for everyone involved in the scandal is set to be finalized in January.
Approved by Experts
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

So The United States Military Academy. West Point. Duty Honor Country West Point. I will not lie cheat or steal nor tolerate anyone who does West Point, is no different than any other football factory. I hear the Booster Club is tough.
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

TUPF wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:15 pm So The United States Military Academy. West Point. Duty Honor Country West Point. I will not lie cheat or steal nor tolerate anyone who does West Point, is no different than any other football factory. I hear the Booster Club is tough.
I've spent a weekend in each schools' barracks, and I'll say anecdotally, that Navy impressed me a thousand times more than Army, and I had/have no horse in that race based on branch of service, I'm basing it totally on what I saw going on in the day to day lives of barracks.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

WaveProf wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:33 pm
TUPF wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:15 pm So The United States Military Academy. West Point. Duty Honor Country West Point. I will not lie cheat or steal nor tolerate anyone who does West Point, is no different than any other football factory. I hear the Booster Club is tough.
I've spent a weekend in each schools' barracks, and I'll say anecdotally, that Navy impressed me a thousand times more than Army, and I had/have no horse in that race based on branch of service, I'm basing it totally on what I saw going on in the day to day lives of barracks.
I don't think either is better or worse than the other and what happens in the 100% artificial environments at Annapolis or West Point has almost no bearing on how they will perform where it counts--at sea or on the battlefield. All those Navy ship collisions a couple of years ago in the Pacific killing a bunch of sailors and causing billions in damage were manned by mostly USNA grads who played around on actual training boats practicing ship handling and navigation for all four years on the Severn. A lot of good it did. The absolute best submarine officer I ever served with was USNA and the two absolute worst submarine officers I ever served with were both USNA. Even had a former USNA shipmate who later murdered his entire family and is serving life, so it's not like USNA grads are water walkers.

What I take issue with as a taxpayer is that we are investing a buttload of money in churning out USNA and USMA officers and supposedly holding them to the highest standards, but what I saw in the fleet was no discernible difference on the whole from an NROTC sourced officer. We taxpayers pay quite a premium, something like 4x, to churn out an Annapolis grad vs. an NROTC grad from even the most expensive of civilian schools. So if we are paying all that money the least they can do is follow their own rules not to lie, cheat, or steal, and not to tolerate those who do.
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

Reference to better was almost entirely along the lines of taking the honor code seriously, as well as basic comportarure of cadets. I wasn’t talking about a better school, or better training for combat. I was referring to the exact type of qualities and demeanor and attitudes that would be reflected in the topic of this thread

I was shocked at the attitudes inside of barracks I saw at West Point. Nonchalant, laissez faire takes in doing things that would have gotten me expelled on the spot at my alma Mater.