Let's do something different this Christmas

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Let's do something different this Christmas

Post by Fan Since '54 »

What's your favorite Christmas song? Here's mine. Last Christmas!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gmARGvPlI[/youtube]

"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Re: Let's do something different this Christmas

Post by OGSB »

I’d like to think there will be more Christmases to come

Be prepared to lose for what you might get
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Bring home da Wave!
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

Fan Since '54 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:56 pm What's your favorite Christmas song? Here's mine. Last Christmas!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gmARGvPlI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whamageddon

And who just lost due to FS54??
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:21 pm

Just heard that one on the radio while sightseeing. Classic!
Be prepared to lose for what you might get
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Fan Since '54 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:56 pm What's your favorite Christmas song? Here's mine. Last Christmas!

Fan since '54
Good one!
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gmARGvPlI[/youtube]

Last Christmas?

OK, you really are just trolling us to get a reaction now, right? :coolshades:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

Traditional: Good King Wenceslas
Regional: Papa Noel
Modern: Happy Xmas (War is Over)
Religious: Silent Night
Kitch: Dominic the Italian Christmas Donkey
Non Xmas Xmas song: Fairytales of New York or Pretty Paper (tie)
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

(silently waits for windy to comment on prof picking "the commie" John Lennon as his favorite Christmas song... )

:lol:
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

Also for pure unbridled sincerity in a genre that is mostly cynically selling romanticism: Feliz Navidad.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I love the classical Christmas tunes; Coventry Carol and Wexford Carol; Handel's Messiah, especially "For Unto Us a Child is Born."

when I hear them I imagine myself sitting in a Cathedral at midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. The feelings of peace and calm during an otherwise phrenetic time are certainly welcome.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:53 pm Also for pure unbridled sincerity in a genre that is mostly cynically selling romanticism: Feliz Navidad.
When my daughter was in kindergarten, she would sing Feliz "la-vee-dah" and wouldn't hear of us telling her it was "Navidad". At one point she said, "I'm taking Spanish, and you don't know Spanish" (which was true)... But I certainly know the phrase and the name of the song! :lol: :lol: We remind her of the story every year when we hear it.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

Christmas Vacation song
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:03 pm
WaveProf wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:53 pm Also for pure unbridled sincerity in a genre that is mostly cynically selling romanticism: Feliz Navidad.
When my daughter was in kindergarten, she would sing Feliz "la-vee-dah" and wouldn't hear of us telling her it was "Navidad". At one point she said, "I'm taking Spanish, and you don't know Spanish" (which was true)... But I certainly know the phrase and the name of the song! :lol: :lol: We remind her of the story every year when we hear it.
My mother in law had a secretary at work who insisted (until shown otherwise) the words were "Fleas Never Die"
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Okay, just thought I'd check how many people liked "Last Christmas". Turned it currently has 599 million+ views. Wow. Probably 600 million by the time the sun rises tomorrow.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

Fan Since '54 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:43 pm Okay, just thought I'd check how many people liked "Last Christmas". Turned it currently has 599 million+ views. Wow. Probably 600 million by the time the sun rises tomorrow.

Fan since '54
It hit the Billboard top ten this week (since they changed the rules to count internet streams so any time it plays anywhere it counts), as did several other Christmas classics.
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

Fan Since '54 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:43 pm Okay, just thought I'd check how many people liked "Last Christmas". Turned it currently has 599 million+ views. Wow. Probably 600 million by the time the sun rises tomorrow.

Fan since '54
Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift tend to do well based on views too. Last Christmas should heed this warning: You are the company you keep.
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

Yeah, when they make a game out of seeing how long you can avoid hearing a Christmas song (see my "whamageddon" post at the top) that generally means people are sick of the song and have recognized how overplayed and therefore annoying it is... :lol:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Fan since '54
Had a long drive to check on our place in Philly yesterday and listened to a lot of radio. One NPR program was about a group of musicians trying to push Spotify to raise its per listen royalty fee of around 0.33 cents to 1 cent.

Even at 0.33 cents per listen, 600M listens would be $2M. :shock:
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

Something seems off there TUPF. From what I've read most artists get basically nothing from subscription streaming services like Spotify. I believe you have to meet some minimum stream threshold to even get a fraction of a penny; I suspect artists getting 33 cents per stream are the very top ones. I'd be curious to see what Andrew Ridgely and the estate of George Michael get for each stream of that song on Spotify or Amazon Music or whatever.

Also, 54 was referencing views of the video on YouTube, which is free, and from what I understand is the go-to music outlet for youth for that reason. I listened to an interesting podcast a few weeks ago (and it was two years old) about how much money artists lose when they put a video on YouTube for free, since kids today Google a song they like and the first result (since Google owns YouTube) is the YouTube video of the song. Why pay for a streaming service of any sort when YouTube is free and you can set up a playlist of videos just like a music player playlist? Of course, this is why YouTube has added more and more ads, including within videos after a certain amount of time, so they can then offer you "YouTube Music" which removes the ads and allows listening with the screen of your phone off... for a subscription fee, of course.

If YouTube streams paid money per view, think about the few-but-growing artists who've reached the billion-view mark...
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:40 pm Something seems off there TUPF. From what I've read most artists get basically nothing from subscription streaming services like Spotify. I believe you have to meet some minimum stream threshold to even get a fraction of a penny; I suspect artists getting 33 cents per stream are the very top ones. I'd be curious to see what Andrew Ridgely and the estate of George Michael get for each stream of that song on Spotify or Amazon Music or whatever.

Also, 54 was referencing views of the video on YouTube, which is free, and from what I understand is the go-to music outlet for youth for that reason. I listened to an interesting podcast a few weeks ago (and it was two years old) about how much money artists lose when they put a video on YouTube for free, since kids today Google a song they like and the first result (since Google owns YouTube) is the YouTube video of the song. Why pay for a streaming service of any sort when YouTube is free and you can set up a playlist of videos just like a music player playlist? Of course, this is why YouTube has added more and more ads, including within videos after a certain amount of time, so they can then offer you "YouTube Music" which removes the ads and allows listening with the screen of your phone off... for a subscription fee, of course.

If YouTube streams paid money per view, think about the few-but-growing artists who've reached the billion-view mark...
Pete, that's 0.33 cents, as in three streams yields you a penny. A couple of my daughter's albums are on Spotify and she's lucky to periodically get a couple of hundred dollars here and there. As the folks on the NPR segment said, if you are an artist hoping to make a living from Spotify you'll starve.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Some of you might remember Einar "Mr. Pete" Pedersen, who was the UC director for many years. Mr. Pete was also very active in Barbershop quartet music, and actually wrote a number of songs that were performed by International quartet and chorus champions. Mr. Pete was a part of ASCAP; despite the fact that all of these choruses, including the Mardi Gras Chorus in New Orleans, paid royalties for performing his songs, he told me that he never received a single penny in royalties, receiving letters that said "no performances were recorded."

He loved the Barbershop harmony; thank goodness he had the U.C., because despite his success as a songwriter, he and his family would have starved if they had to rely on royalties.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:02 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:40 pm Something seems off there TUPF. From what I've read most artists get basically nothing from subscription streaming services like Spotify. I believe you have to meet some minimum stream threshold to even get a fraction of a penny; I suspect artists getting 33 cents per stream are the very top ones. I'd be curious to see what Andrew Ridgely and the estate of George Michael get for each stream of that song on Spotify or Amazon Music or whatever.

Pete, that's 0.33 cents, as in three streams yields you a penny. A couple of my daughter's albums are on Spotify and she's lucky to periodically get a couple of hundred dollars here and there. As the folks on the NPR segment said, if you are an artist hoping to make a living from Spotify you'll starve.
I did mean that, sorry I missed the decimal. But even so, my understanding is that most artists get nowhere near 0.33 cents per play. I believe most get nothing except exposure (or more like "not becoming irrelevant and unobtainable") and a chance to go viral and then perhaps make something.