Let's do something different this Christmas

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Let's do something different this Christmas

Post by PeteRasche »

AO Sig wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:28 pm Some of you might remember Einar "Mr. Pete" Pedersen, who was the UC director for many years. Mr. Pete was also very active in Barbershop quartet music, and actually wrote a number of songs that were performed by International quartet and chorus champions. Mr. Pete was a part of ASCAP; despite the fact that all of these choruses, including the Mardi Gras Chorus in New Orleans, paid royalties for performing his songs, he told me that he never received a single penny in royalties, receiving letters that said "no performances were recorded."

He loved the Barbershop harmony; thank goodness he had the U.C., because despite his success as a songwriter, he and his family would have starved if they had to rely on royalties.
One of my closest friends from Tulane law is the intellectual property lawyer who has taken on a lot of traditional New Orleans artists in their attempts to get paid for the songs you hear all the time. I understand he got a good chunk of change for the family of the person who originated "second line". Of course I don't know how many locals feel about him (they may hate him) as he's also the guy who won the rights to "Who Dat" for the originators of the phrase and caused it to not be free for anyone to slap on anything they want (including the NFL itself) ...
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

WaveProf wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:46 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:03 pm
WaveProf wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:53 pm Also for pure unbridled sincerity in a genre that is mostly cynically selling romanticism: Feliz Navidad.
When my daughter was in kindergarten, she would sing Feliz "la-vee-dah" and wouldn't hear of us telling her it was "Navidad". At one point she said, "I'm taking Spanish, and you don't know Spanish" (which was true)... But I certainly know the phrase and the name of the song! :lol: :lol: We remind her of the story every year when we hear it.
My mother in law had a secretary at work who insisted (until shown otherwise) the words were "Fleas Never Die"
Approved by Experts
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

When I was I high school, I was puzzled by what was meant by the song, "Save the Last Dance For Me." I could understand "Save the Next Dance...," but the "last" dance was already history.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Late but disappointed this was left out.

WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

GretnaGrn wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:28 pm Late but disappointed this was left out.

I mentioned it! You must have me on ignore :angel:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

WaveProf wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:15 pm
GretnaGrn wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:28 pm Late but disappointed this was left out.

I mentioned it! You must have me on ignore :angel:
Nope; I only have two people on ignore and you are not one of them. I blame post-holidays sugar-induced brain fog.
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

GretnaGrn wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:20 am

Nope; I only have two people on ignore and you are not one of them. I blame post-holidays sugar-induced brain fog.
I wasn't being serious :king:

BTW if you love that song (like I do), you might want to be aware that Sofia Coppola uses it in her Xmas special with Bill Murray on Netflix. It's rare for it to get used many places.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Sofia Coppola?

I thought after her disastrously wooden performance in one of the Godfather movies (forgot which one) she swam with the fishes. :lol:
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

TUPF wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:23 pm Sofia Coppola?

I thought after her disastrously wooden performance in one of the Godfather movies (forgot which one) she swam with the fishes. :lol:
Cute :)

Not directed at your joke, but it is amazing how often that still comes up, for a woman who never claimed or wanted to be an actress, and whose father thrust her into a major role in a horribly written movie on short notice all because Winona Ryder backed out.

But man oh man it's a cringeworthy performance. SOOOOOO bad.
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

doncecco wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:57 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca5wXojemRM

Hee Hon Hee Hon
Just seeing this thread, but when I saw your post the Sicilian in me told me immediately what song that was! I have it in my music library and bug my kids with it every year!
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

WaveProf wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:59 pm
TUPF wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:23 pm Sofia Coppola?

Cute :)

Not directed at your joke, but it is amazing how often that still comes up, for a woman who never claimed or wanted to be an actress, and whose father thrust her into a major role in a horribly written movie on short notice all because Winona Ryder backed out.

But man oh man it's a cringeworthy performance. SOOOOOO bad.
I just rewatched that movie the other day. I don’t hate it as much as most, but agree about her performance. She gives hope to any aspiring actor/actress that they too can be on the big screen one day. She was much better in Godfather II.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

waverider wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:01 pm. She was much better in Godfather II.
A pretty amazing performance since she had to play the opposite gender! haha

I don't hate 3. The ending is strong. The themes are strong. The script isn't great, and it was greatly hampered by Robert Duvall saying no (causing the George Kennedy role to be de-emphasized) and Winona Ryder backing out at the last minute (forcing a non-actress into a key role)