Voodoo Fest canceled

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Re: Voodoo Fest canceled

Post by Johnny Mac »

my wife, who had no health issues prior to COVID, is now on a ventilator... nobody has any idea how hard this will hit when they catch it... Get. The ducking. Shot.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Johnny Mac wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:05 am my wife, who had no health issues prior to COVID, is now on a ventilator... nobody has any idea how hard this will hit when they catch it... Get. The ducking. Shot.
I hope she's able to recover.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:46 am
wavedom wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:43 am
PeteRasche wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:29 am
wavedom wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:26 pm Do you have their replacements lined up?
To be fair, they're not at a lot of risk sitting in front of their gaming rigs alone each night...
Good point. Though they do come to work in person. Male sure you social distance with them.

Oh I know, I was joking (about their lack of lives) and commenting on the stupid reasons many Americans aren't vaccinated. 8). Hey, they gotta go to a store and buy the beer too.
I'm vaccinated and I don't ever get particularly close to them at work anyway.
Good. Stay safe and make that induction ceremony.
We deserve so much better
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Johnny Mac wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:05 am my wife, who had no health issues prior to COVID, is now on a ventilator... nobody has any idea how hard this will hit when they catch it... Get. The ducking. Shot.
So very sorry to hear that. Best wishes and prayers going her way.
We deserve so much better
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I appreciate the thoughts, gents... I hate it when life interrupts our petty squabbles over athletics.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:14 am
Same here. Hope Mrs JM recovers quickly!

Just got the official email from my kids school about the COVID policies for the upcoming year. As I expected, no COVID protections other than "frequent deep cleaning" (which is pointless against an airborne virus) and a list of procedures following exposures, quarantining, online dashboard, etc. Otherwise, no distancing, back to normal cafeteria, school prayer gatherings, recess, etc. It's a private Christian school which unfortunately has to err on the most conservative, err, Conservative, side of everything... meaning if they required masks or proof of vaccination they'd have a bunch of rich donor parents immediately pulling their kids out and sending them elsewhere. Ugh. My 12-year-old is vaccinated but my 9-year-old isn't able yet, and we are going to have him mask... but of course masks are to protect others and no one else will be masking, so it's almost pointless. The email said that people are instructed to respect others' choices but I have to wonder how many days into the year before some brainwashed-by-his-parents classmate gives him a "Baaaaaa!" (sheep sound) for wearing a mask.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:48 am some brainwashed-by-his-parents classmate gives him a "Baaaaaa!" (sheep sound) for wearing a mask.
Ah, the irony
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

the good news, if there is any Pete.. is that Ohio isn't the epicenter of the Delta variant... Florida, LA and Texas are. My daughter's school wants to keep their "zero infections recorded" record intact, so masks are mandatory for students and staff until further notice. My daughter brought the virus home so 100% of my battle now is keeping her from being irretrievably broken for putting her mom on a ventilator. And I have no idea how I'm going to do that.

and in response to the sheep comment... ask "so, you came up with the anti mask movement yourself? Yeah, didn't think so.. so I may be a sheep, but you are sheep with a different shepherd"
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:57 am the good news, if there is any Pete.. is that Ohio isn't the epicenter of the Delta variant... Florida, LA and Texas are. My daughter's school wants to keep their "zero infections recorded" record intact, so masks are mandatory for students and staff until further notice. My daughter brought the virus home so 100% of my battle now is keeping her from being irretrievably broken for putting her mom on a ventilator. And I have no idea how I'm going to do that.

and in response to the sheep comment... ask "so, you came up with the anti mask movement yourself? Yeah, didn't think so.. so I may be a sheep, but you are sheep with a different shepherd"
Sending good vibrations your way, Johnny. Stay strong!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:48 am
wavedom wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:14 am
Same here. Hope Mrs JM recovers quickly!

Just got the official email from my kids school about the COVID policies for the upcoming year. As I expected, no COVID protections other than "frequent deep cleaning" (which is pointless against an airborne virus) and a list of procedures following exposures, quarantining, online dashboard, etc. Otherwise, no distancing, back to normal cafeteria, school prayer gatherings, recess, etc. It's a private Christian school which unfortunately has to err on the most conservative, err, Conservative, side of everything... meaning if they required masks or proof of vaccination they'd have a bunch of rich donor parents immediately pulling their kids out and sending them elsewhere. Ugh. My 12-year-old is vaccinated but my 9-year-old isn't able yet, and we are going to have him mask... but of course masks are to protect others and no one else will be masking, so it's almost pointless. The email said that people are instructed to respect others' choices but I have to wonder how many days into the year before some brainwashed-by-his-parents classmate gives him a "Baaaaaa!" (sheep sound) for wearing a mask.
My kids' Catholic school is requiring masks (whether you're vaccinated or not) and has extensive social distancing policies and infrastructure in place, thankfully. Nothing is ever certain, however.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:00 pm
Johnny Mac wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:57 am the good news, if there is any Pete.. is that Ohio isn't the epicenter of the Delta variant... Florida, LA and Texas are. My daughter's school wants to keep their "zero infections recorded" record intact, so masks are mandatory for students and staff until further notice. My daughter brought the virus home so 100% of my battle now is keeping her from being irretrievably broken for putting her mom on a ventilator. And I have no idea how I'm going to do that.

Omg, what did he ever do to you?!?
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

ml wave wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:15 pm

that was funny.. thanks ml... at least it wasn't good juju
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:17 pm
ml wave wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:15 pm

that was funny.. thanks ml... at least it wasn't good juju
Seriously though, best of luck to you and her...I don't know how I would be able to function in that situation.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Best wishes Johnny. very sorry to hear that.

our kids have to mask at school, and they're still trying to distance and separate classes as much as they can. they're eating in classrooms and unable to mix with other classes at recess and such.

Still, it took 1 day of school before we got a survey asking about distance learning, and I'm pretty sure we'll be there by next week.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

they are reporting minimal COVID cases after Lollapalooza.. they required proof of vax or a negative test to get in... attendance was 385k, so with duplication probably 150k individuals throughout the weekend... less than 300 confirmed cases.. I'd say the vax/test mandate was successful
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

waverider wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:03 pm
wavedom wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:59 pm
waverider wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:25 pm
windywave wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:03 pm
waverider wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:13 pm My friend works at a local hotel and said they were almost fully booked for that weekend and now will lose out on those sales.

The chance, albeit small, of it getting to the point that Tulane may have to require vaccinations to attend games was enough to convince me to get my shot.
That was the reason? Not the reduced death rate?
I will need it before my first cruise in February next year but I don’t want to have to miss games because of it so I figure I’d get it out of the way now. Plus, Ochsner hospital by my house has the J&J so I want to get it while they still have it.
The J&J has shown not to do well with regard to the Delta variant. The other 2 have done well. Just a heads up.
"I think I’ve already had the virus once which is the best defense"
Not really. But you say you 'think you've already had it'. You don't know?
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.