Chris Owens has died

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
long green
Cornerstone

Chris Owens has died

Unread post by long green »

It says she was 89 but I don’t know who’s buying that. I remember when my mother was moving out of her house and we had all that packing and sorting to do. In the midst of the sorting I found some old copies of the afternoon paper from the day Kennedy was killed. In the back of the paper was an ad for Chris Owens’ nightclub. I took this to Mom to show her. She replied, “yeah, she was an institution back then.”

RIP
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
doncecco
President's Circle

Re: Chris Owens has died

Unread post by doncecco »

And a week before Easter, no less
Bring home da Wave!
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Turns out she was 88- https://www.nola.com/news/article_7f3a3 ... aae5b.html

May she rest in peace.
We deserve so much better
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

I remember walking past her place with my parents when we walked to dinner from our hotel; never went to her show, but knew about it. I also remember going by it once I came to Tulane, and thought she looked a bit long in the tooth back then.

Certainly was an institution down on Bourbon street; back then Al Hirt and Pete Fountain also had shows. When I was an undergrad Pete moved to a nightclub in the Hilton, Al passed away. Her show was the last one left on Bourbon from that era.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Wow, so she was already an institution in 1963 at age, what would that be, 29? She musta' been something in those days.

I remember being told she was a legend when I walked on Bourbon Street the first time with an assistant coach on my recruiting visit. She'd have been about... 55-ish at that point. Sheesh.

I'm not gonna lie, when I saw this headline here I wondered, "Bourbon Street performer or former Tulane basketball player who left for Texas?"
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Ever the showman, I'm confident she'll rise from the dead on Easter Sunday accompanied by two of Brennan's Easter Bunny angels
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

wavedom wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:06 pm Turns out she was 88- https://www.nola.com/news/article_7f3a3 ... aae5b.html

May she rest in peace.
Felt like she was 88 when I was in my teens 30 years ago.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
LondonWave
Coach Level

Unread post by LondonWave »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:51 pm Wow, so she was already an institution in 1963 at age, what would that be, 29? She musta' been something in those days.

I remember being told she was a legend when I walked on Bourbon Street the first time with an assistant coach on my recruiting visit. She'd have been about... 55-ish at that point. Sheesh.

I'm not gonna lie, when I saw this headline here I wondered, "Bourbon Street performer or former Tulane basketball player who left for Texas?"
I guess it wasn't on the Former Players forum, but there's a guy who had an interesting professional career...

https://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=2537189
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Wow, in all this time I don't think I'd ever heard he was related to Jesse Owens.