"An embarassing loss for this program"

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
noladave
Regent's Circle

"An embarassing loss for this program"

Unread post by noladave »

direct quote from Dickerson in the post game. at least he had the balls to apologize to the fans. He also called out the players for not playing hard enough.

17% shooting in OUR OWN HOUSE (2nd half)

4 pts - the amount of points scored off the Tulane bench

19 pts - the amount of points scored off the UNO bench

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!
gotulane2416
Navigator Level

Re: "An embarassing loss for this program"

Unread post by gotulane2416 »

Yea, he also said that there team was tougher than ours. Well thats been like 4 straight years that they've been tougher than us. We are more talented yet these things continue to happen to us.
Big EZ Wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Big EZ Wave »

To put it simply, we were OUT COACHED, OUT PLAYED AND OUT HUSTLED.

Dickerson and his staff just do not understand how to coach a game where the other team wants it more than you do.

And I know I was at a different game than he was. If you think we took great shots in the second half, you don't know basketball. Our offensive possessions were flat out terrible. No plays, no decent shots, and yes, UNO was hustling their butts off on defense.
The Tulane University of Louisiana
gotulane2416
Navigator Level

Unread post by gotulane2416 »

Yea i saw the same thing you did. We had multiple possessions where the shot clock went down and we either got off a bad shot or we turned it over. And i definitely felt that UNO's players wanted it way more than we did down the stretch. Once the game got close it looked like we were almost playing scared.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

Where are we going to be next year when we lose one of the best 2 point guards we've had in 30 years?
Like next year's football team must be in a bowl game, THIS team needs to be in post-season. Period.
Using to UNO again is just...well, nothing new I suppose.
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

Also at the end of the post game w/ TG: We are going to half to find some toughness over the next few days (for the W Ky game) because we don't have any right now.
Big EZ Wave
Emerald Circle

Look GSx, this is simple. Don't read more into this game than what it is. A rivalry game that one side, us, doesn't know how to deal with. UNO was once again so much more intense, fired up and aggressive than we were it was embarassing. At some point, meaning after losing 2 straight years, I thought the pride and competitiveness factor would come into play with getting us ready to play but it didn't. We had no response for their defensive intensity in the second half. When it comes to conference games and this staff is back in their comfort zone, we're going to be fine.
EnergyWave
Navigator Level

Unread post by EnergyWave »

"And for my next trick, I will make the Fogelman Arena fans vanish for the rest of the year..." POOF!!!
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

Big EZ Wave wrote:Look GSx, this is simple. Don't read more into this game than what it is. A rivalry game that one side, us, doesn't know how to deal with. UNO was once again so much more intense, fired up and aggressive than we were it was embarassing. At some point, meaning after losing 2 straight years, I thought the pride and competitiveness factor would come into play with getting us ready to play but it didn't. We had no response for their defensive intensity in the second half. When it comes to conference games and this staff is back in their comfort zone, we're going to be fine.
I guess that's okay if we're interested in 7-9 and 17-15. But we should be interested in post-season. We've got games against Lamar and ULL on the road - they're bad teams, but so is UNO. You don't have many games to give away.
And we're in N.O. and we need to hammer this team; show who's boss.

I went to the Mason game and thought we looked pretty good.
Big EZ Wave
Emerald Circle

I couldn't agree more. I'm very very disappointed. As you all know, I defend the football team because I am not certain our talent is better YET than a lot of the teams we play. But I won't defend something like tonight because I know we have better talent than UNO.
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

Re: "An embarrassing loss for this program"

Unread post by TPSTulane »

I know its early but you have to win this game to garner any hope for future NIT consideration. This is the type of loss that will haunt us.
UNO has now beaten us 8 of the last 10 and now leads the series 23-22 which could end this season if UNO goes DIII.
Tulane School of Business Class of 1981
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
Conference Realignment "is like changing seats on the Titanic."
olivengreen
Navigator Level

Re: "An embarrassing loss for this program"

Unread post by olivengreen »

[quote="TPSTulane"]I know its early but you have to win this game to garner any hope for future NIT consideration. This is the type of loss that will haunt us.
UNO has now beaten us 8 of the last 10 and now leads the series 23-22 which could end this season if UNO goes DIII.[/quote]
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Proud member of the Greenbackers!!!!!
rjc
Breaker Level

Unread post by rjc »

We played well the Ist half with the exception of the 5 player substitution with a 15-2 lead and then to have the whole team not show up for the second half is mind bogging.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

EnergyWave wrote:"And for my next trick, I will make the Fogelman Arena fans vanish for the rest of the year..." POOF!!!
I would laugh at this if it weren't so sad... and so true.
Radio Wave
President's Circle

Unread post by Radio Wave »

It's stunning how many times our Football and Basketball teams have had a fork in the road type game only to fall flat and lose about 99.9% of the time. I mean an important game, a ranked opponent, a good crowd, a TV game, bowl game in the balance, winning season on the line, etc etc. This is really getting old. When can we expect our Basketball or Football teams to exceed expections, pull off a stuning victory or something... It just seems to never happen at Tulane. The only one I can think of in football over the last 10 years would be the Hawaii Bowl. :shock:
Pepper
Coach Level

Unread post by Pepper »

I see it happenning when we make the "big announcement".
I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.
Metry Wave
Breaker Level

Unread post by Metry Wave »

noladave wrote:direct quote from Dickerson in the post game. at least he had the balls to apologize to the fans. He also called out the players for not playing hard enough.

17% shooting in OUR OWN HOUSE (2nd half)

4 pts - the amount of points scored off the Tulane bench

19 pts - the amount of points scored off the UNO bench

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!
That was quite possibly the worst 2nd half of basketball I have ever seen by Tulane, and UNO was pretty horrible too. It was truly another embarrassing performance against a team that'll struggle to win 10 games this year and sadly probably won't have a Division 1-A basketball program in the near future. There are absolutely no excuses for that 2nd half performance. We have no bench scorers, no inside threats, and our only offensive scorers whatsoever are Sims and Richard. In the 2nd half if we play anywhere near the effort we played in the first 8 minutes of the game, we should have beaten UNO by 25 pts; yet we scratch our heads again after losing another game to a UNO program that is sadly better than ours. I understand that the season is young, but I am truly disgusted with the progress of our basketball program. The early to mid '90s seem so long ago.
Proud to be a Dome regular, a Fogelman fanatic, and a Turchin junkie!
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

It was a poor effort all around. We didn't get off one good shot in the last ten minutes of the game. Sims' last effort wasn't a good shot, either. Heck, I was surprised we got a shot off at all, we were that bad.

The substitutions were just strange. I don't know what DD was thinking. But then again, no one was contributing anything. Dickerson seems to be struggling with having more bodies available than he has ever had. If I were running the show, and thank God I'm not :wink: , I'd put Rogers behind Richard at the 2 and I'd start giving Callahan minutes at PG. Why not? Problem is, we're already 7 games in and he's hardly played.

I still can't get the Hogan thing. He got some good rebounds in the second half but he has no business shooting as much as he does. Beasley and especially Anderson need to get most if not all of his minutes. Anderson had some nice looking rebounds and a blocked shot. He seems to have some athletic ability to go with his height. I think his offense will come around a bit when the game slows down for him. That will only happen if he plays more.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TXWave88
Navigator Level

Unread post by TXWave88 »

Didnt we lose to UNO last year 49-39....now 51-50? I did not see either games (thankfully from what I am reading), but that is HS scoring. Totally disappointing. Seems like the Tulane cycle where we suprise our fans with a good win or playing well and then sink into the abyss again.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Radio Wave wrote:It's stunning how many times our Football and Basketball teams have had a fork in the road type game only to fall flat and lose about 99.9% of the time. I mean an important game, a ranked opponent, a good crowd, a TV game, bowl game in the balance, winning season on the line, etc etc. This is really getting old. When can we expect our Basketball or Football teams to exceed expections, pull off a stuning victory or something... It just seems to never happen at Tulane. The only one I can think of in football over the last 10 years would be the Hawaii Bowl. :shock:
Little did I realize at the time, but watching that 4 OT basketball loss to UNC in the Superdome in 1976 set the course for my Tulane fandom. Sure wish Charlie Brown would finally get to kick the ball.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote:Little did I realize at the time, but watching that 4 OT basketball loss to UNC in the Superdome in 1976 set the course for my Tulane fandom. Sure wish Charlie Brown would finally get to kick the ball.
Apparently you slept through the basketball seasons from 1989-1996? :D

I was not there to witness it in person last night, but from the descriptions I have read and listening on the radio, it sounds like we had a more competitive and fun-to-watch product on the court in the 4-24, "Hoops are back," 1989-1990 season. I mean, we only won four games that season, but one of them was an upset of a top 20 team (when was the last time we did that?) and we were competitive in the entire second half of the year, within 10 points of many very good teams. In the conference tourney, we took Louisville, #6 at the time, to the final minutes and were within 6 or 8 points of them, playing 8 freshmen and three underclassman JuCos.

Not trying to get all misty-eyed and reminiscent, but honestly, I felt more positive about the Tulane basketball team then than I have in probably 7 or 8 years. I just don't feel like we're... I dunno... moving forward.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:Apparently you slept through the basketball seasons from 1989-1996? :D
I sure wish I were around more during the time, but I was underwater a lot of the time and the internet was still too nascient to stay in tune when I was topside. I did get to see the Tulane win over St. Johns on TV. I cried :D .
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

PeteRasche wrote:
TUPF wrote:Little did I realize at the time, but watching that 4 OT basketball loss to UNC in the Superdome in 1976 set the course for my Tulane fandom. Sure wish Charlie Brown would finally get to kick the ball.
Apparently you slept through the basketball seasons from 1989-1996? :D

I was not there to witness it in person last night, but from the descriptions I have read and listening on the radio, it sounds like we had a more competitive and fun-to-watch product on the court in the 4-24, "Hoops are back," 1989-1990 season. I mean, we only won four games that season, but one of them was an upset of a top 20 team (when was the last time we did that?) and we were competitive in the entire second half of the year, within 10 points of many very good teams. In the conference tourney, we took Louisville, #6 at the time, to the final minutes and were within 6 or 8 points of them, playing 8 freshmen and three underclassman JuCos.

Not trying to get all misty-eyed and reminiscent, but honestly, I felt more positive about the Tulane basketball team then than I have in probably 7 or 8 years. I just don't feel like we're... I dunno... moving forward.
Our last win over a ranked team was in 1999 against #24 NC State
Radio Wave
President's Circle

Unread post by Radio Wave »

Our last win over a ranked team was in 1999 against #24 NC State[/quote]

I can't remember our last win over a ranked team in football, and now 10 years in basketball.
What is this saying? Maybe I don't want to know the answer to that! :evil:
JtS
Regent's Circle

2 threads and mutiny over one loss....

Unread post by JtS »

I believe we've bested nola in pitiableness...