Tulane University makes McAlister Place pedestrian mall

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

Tulane University makes McAlister Place pedestrian mall

Unread post by TPSTulane »

Almost done..............Its sad that they missed on a chance to expand the campus, instead they close more of it off to the general public and have plans to do more of the same..............
http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf ... calis.html
Eventually, the mall will extend to Willow Street. And another long-range plan is banning cars from Newcomb Place to create a green space that would run all the way from McAlister Auditorium to Newcomb Hall. Drivers who had used McAlister most -- motorists seeking parking spots -- will have to park in the 320-space lot along South Claiborne Avenue where Rosen House used to stand. A shuttle bus will be available to carry drivers between the lot and campus.....
Tulane School of Business Class of 1981
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
Conference Realignment "is like changing seats on the Titanic."
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Re: Tulane University makes McAlister Place pedestrian mall

Unread post by BC Wave »

I'm not knee-jerkedly against these actions but it would please me if I knew that the use of Fogelman (not to mention McAlister Auditorium) was being taken into account. Just a rough estimate, but if McAlister and Newcomb place are closed off, won't that be a loss of 200-300 parking spaces that are often used for Fogelman events.

Digression: I remember when the Jazz played at Loyola it seemed like they closed off Freret to one land of traffic and had double or even triple parking. But I was only 15 at time time so my memory may be a bit fuzzy.
doncecco
President's Circle

Unread post by doncecco »

The Jazz played at Loyola?!? :shock:
Bring home da Wave!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

doncecco wrote:The Jazz played at Loyola?!? :shock:
Yup! And some of us saw Super Bowls in Tulane Stadium. In the interest of full disclosure, though, Tulane Stadium was in pretty bad shape by then and the Jazz was/were treading water until they had a permanent solution.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

remember, in Cowen's world, Athletics is a nuisance, not something to take into accounting during long term goal planning.

He could care less how inconvenient it is for athletics patrons. In fact, he probably enjoys making it harder for supporters of athletics to show up.
bigmoneytx

Unread post by bigmoneytx »

Happy "New" Year :oops:
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

Read the comments on the blog. Most are in opposition to this decision and some say it will negatively effect them attending basketball games and other events on campus....
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
bigmoneytx

when we WIN, it should not matter where we have to park.

Even so, the project extending to Willow and extending to Newcomb are many years away. Most people that park on campus for home games park at Loyola garage or over by H.Tilton - so this McAlister Place really should not have a huge impact on sports fans at Fogelman.
there were never many spots on McAlister open for fans during games anyway - the ones that were closest to Fogelman were "reserved" and most people had to park down by the Drill Road intersection. Those people can find plenty of spots in Loyola or by H Tilton if they arrive On Time...
not sure what they are doing for handicap access

It sucks for parking and the few that arrived early enough to snag a spot on McAlister, (mainly for Tulane faculty/staff/employ during the day and students at night)

If you are a Tulane Fan (and we are winning) - this should not have any effect on individuals coming to games to support our programs.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

No matter what one does, or does not do, there will always be complainers. Personally, I think if the McAlister Drive thing is done right, it will enhance the appearance of my alma mater immensely. Big$ is right--if our teams are winning and there is interest, parking or lack thereof, will become an afterthought (except for those who like to b!tch no matter what). Look at any urban landscape: any place that revolves solely around parking is pretty ugly and pretty soul-less, but remove the asphalt and build greenspace and parks, and the returns are manyfold. Except for Tiananmen Square, no city brags about how many acres they have paved--they brag about parks and green space.

Now fire away.
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

The one potential positive result by taking the streets out of play is that it creates more space on campus for new buildings (a new Arena)....
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
bigmoneytx

The space may not be great for everyone, but there is no doubt that IF done right - it will be a great addition for the University. One thing I noticed on many of my trips to other schools was the large areas of "green and relaxation spaces" by the dorm areas and main traffic areas for students. Of course these were schools not in Urban areas so the fact that we can do this in the area we have in a major city will only help draw students in... IMO (not saying it wont suck to lose parking - but in the grand scheme - convenience is not as important in this situation)

By the way - this was supposed to be finished already - but they are working to get it done ASAP - leaving Fogelman the other night at 10pm they had portable lights out there and were still working hard in the dark of night trying to get that place open and finished before the kids come back around Jan. 10
Big EZ Wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Big EZ Wave »

What are the odds that the "green" architects / experts have reserved parking spaces next the building they work in?
The Tulane University of Louisiana
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

Big EZ Wave wrote:What are the odds that the "green" architects / experts have reserved parking spaces next the building they work in?
The added diesel shuttles and additional lawnmowers needed completely negate any "green" footprint improvement. This was about getting a large donation at any cost.
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
bigmoneytx

I dont know that the goal was to be "green" meaning in the "we want to do our part to help the world" type of deal but more of a "we need/want to add Green (as in grass and trees/plants) to make the University more appealing aesthetically"

I know the word "green" might be thrown out there by many people, including the University Arch in the newspaper but it is my honest and firm belief that this is more about "beautification" of a college campus than any atmospheric/enviormental consequences

the word "beautification" was used in the aticle linked and has been used campus wide for a couple years now - which has nothing to do with being sociey;s modern version of "going green", i know we want to use the buses and gas as a way to take away from the plan, but the plan was not really meant to be about the enviornment.

I could be wrong, but from all that i have read and from conversations with the people who worked on this plan - it is about the campus being a better place for the people it is aimed at - The Students that attend Tulane and use the space daily

Just get us our darned facilities and money flow for academic support resources in 2010 :idea:
Big EZ Wave
Emerald Circle

I agree with you BMT. I actually am glad they are finally paying attention to how the place looks. We could use improved landscaping.

The biggest issue I have with the campus "beauty" is the ugliest building, which is the UC with its industrial metal exterior. Take a look at the buidling from the Newcomb Blvd. side sometime, or from the Freret side of Tulane's Rose Bowl Arena. Why when they upgraded it they didn't but brick around it is beyond me.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

TPSTulane wrote:
Big EZ Wave wrote:What are the odds that the "green" architects / experts have reserved parking spaces next the building they work in?
The added diesel shuttles and additional lawnmowers needed completely negate any "green" footprint improvement. This was about getting a large donation at any cost.
Maybe they're thinking along these lines:

Victory is never permanent
bigmoneytx

LOL

you mean you dont like the all award winning new UC
The American Institute of Architects 2009 Honor Award, awarded to the Lavin-Bernick Center, was presented at the AIA National Convention and Design Exposition in San Francisco April 30 for Excellence in Architectural Design.
The Lavin-Bernick Center for University Life was chosen by the AIA as one of the top 10 green buildings in the country. The announcement was made by the AIA on Earth Day 2008.
MSNBC calls the LBC
"[An] outstanding example of sustainable design."
http://tulane.edu/oua/
Big EZ Wave
Emerald Circle

Big EZ Wave wrote:I agree with you BMT. I actually am glad they are finally paying attention to how the place looks. We could use improved landscaping.

The biggest issue I have with the campus "beauty" is the ugliest building, which is the UC with its industrial metal exterior. Take a look at the buidling from the Newcomb Blvd. side sometime, or from the Freret side of Tulane's Rose Bowl Arena. Why when they upgraded it they didn't but brick around it is beyond me.

Yea, but it's U-G-L-Y!! Unless you like corrugated sheet metal exteriors that is.

Ugly, as is most 1960's architecture, e.g. the UC, some of the Dorms, City Hall, I could go on.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

I've hated the new UC since they started building it, and it looks like something out of 1950's movie vision of the future.

Horrible, absolutely horrible.

Just goes to show you that Money does not buy you taste.
murphwave
Coach Level

Unread post by murphwave »

Speaking of the UC....What is the status of the lawsuit(s) against the architect/builders for the foundation issues? With any luck, maybe the whole thing will sink and we will have a new site for our hoops arena.
BS '99
MBA 2007
Pelican Power
Navigator Level

Unread post by Pelican Power »

I will remind everyone, the concept of getting rid of automobiles along McAlister Drive is not a "Cowan" idea....this was proposed in the late seventies. A specific contribution allowed this change become a reality.

I realize change is difficult. :cry: No one wants to walk three or four blocks or "catch a shuttle". :evil: However, no one can tell me our campus is absolutely gorgeous. There are some beautiful sections of campus, particularly from Gibson to Freret. :) (note the area has unique architecture and NO CARS) Anything to remove ugly cars will only work to visually enhance the recreational and residential side of campus.

Do not scream at me....I know I do not have any evidence to prove this, but I believe long term (10 to 25 years from now) Fogelman will not remain a basketball-volleyball arena. A new arena will be relocated and the arena will be reconstructed to address academic needs. The only question unanswered is where will the land around campus will be acquired to accommodate the construction.
TULANE University of Louisiana

OliveGreenandBlue! We love thee!

1932-ROSE Wave 1935-SUGAR Wave
1940-SUGAR Wave 2
1970-Year of the Green 1973-Bluebonnet Wave 1979-Experience Wave Craze
1998-PERFECT Wave
2013-Bowl Wave
2023-COTTON Wave
murphwave
Coach Level

Unread post by murphwave »

This can all be solved by building a new parking structure on the Rosen site with a new basketball arena incorporated into it... On a more serious note, as a freshman in 1995, I remember the death of Sgt Mast on Mcalister Until now, adding the speed bumps was the only solution. Imagine how unsightly the academic quad would be if mcalister ran straight through to Saint Charles? In time, we will grow to appreciate this, I know I already do. For those threatening to not attend events in Fogelman (on nola.com mostly), hasn't the Loyola garage always been the main option for parking for Fogelman anyways??
BS '99
MBA 2007
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

For someone like myself and I'm sure for many others, our only chance to see the campus was to drive thru by car. I won't be parking and walking it (not enough time). I used to go out of my way when I was nearby campus (other than attending an athletic event) to get the "feel of school" by driving thru campus. I think that will also be lost on the general public. They will just think Tulane wants to become even more private than ever before by closing off street access to the public...
You can't even compare the size difference of campus between LSU and Tulane. LSU could close off 3/4's of its campus and not even be close to this %.
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

TPSTulane wrote:I think that will also be lost on the general public. They will just think Tulane wants to become even more private than ever before by closing off street access to the public...
To hide the 2nd shooter on the grassy knoll next to McAlister Auditorium. :wink:
JtS
Regent's Circle

Unread post by JtS »

TUPF wrote:
TPSTulane wrote:I think that will also be lost on the general public. They will just think Tulane wants to become even more private than ever before by closing off street access to the public...
To hide the 2nd shooter on the grassy knoll next to McAlister Auditorium. :wink:

Once upon a time.....Image