2010 Commencement Speaker

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
bigmoneytx

2010 Commencement Speaker

Post by bigmoneytx »

Unconfirmed reports say Anderson Cooper
Ray
Regent's Circle

Re: 2010 Commencement Speaker

Post by Ray »

Hell, and after Ellen Degen. last yr. I think next yr. just to balance things out Maybe Mike Ditka ..... you know just to get other view points on life.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Or Rush....
WaveON
President's Circle

Post by WaveON »

I wouldn't stop on a street corner to listen to Anderson Cooper. Talk about "aiming low" or "settling" for mediocre or lower. :oops: :evil:
"God Bless America"
djh
Coach Level

Post by djh »

WaveON wrote:I wouldn't stop on a street corner to listen to Anderson Cooper. Talk about "aiming low" or "settling" for mediocre or lower. :oops: :evil:
I feel the same way about Rush Oxycontin Limbaugh :lol:
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
WaveON
President's Circle

Post by WaveON »

djh wrote:
WaveON wrote:I wouldn't stop on a street corner to listen to Anderson Cooper. Talk about "aiming low" or "settling" for mediocre or lower. :oops: :evil:
I feel the same way about Rush Oxycontin Limbaugh :lol:
Not sure what my comment had to do with Limbaugh. But I gather you think Anderson Cooper is a great choice. I don't.
"God Bless America"
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Political alert! :roll:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

What ever happened to inviting prominent alums or individuals who actually achieved something meaningful in life - like Tiger Woods. :roll:

Seriously, when did commencement exercises become venues for entertainment? Does anyone in there really want to do anything but get the papyrus and get the hell to the party? They're long and boring enough as it is.
Bring home da Wave!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

doncecco wrote:What ever happened to inviting prominent alums or individuals who actually achieved something meaningful in life - like Tiger Woods. :roll:

Seriously, when did commencement exercises become venues for entertainment? Does anyone in there really want to do anything but get the papyrus and get the hell to the party? They're long and boring enough as it is.
Not trying to stir the pot here, because some obviously have strong opinions on the subject. However, in my case, I got my Tulane undergrad degree in May 1978 and have absolutely no, zero, nada, recollection of who the speaker was. And no, I was perfectly sober. To be a contrarian here, at least if it the speaker was a known person, maybe I would have remembered him (or her...probably not a her in 1978.) The only speakers I remember in my Tulane days was President Ford in Fogleman in 1975 saying we were done in Vietnam; King Hussein of Jordan (with Secret Service everywhere); and Rod Serling and Dustin Hoffman in McAlister after movies. At least I remember those guys.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

The commencement speaker at my graduation was Christian Herter...the US Secretary of State at the time. I just remember he was an old white haired gentleman and I don't have a clue as to what he said...maybe I wasn't sober.
Pelican Power
Navigator Level

Post by Pelican Power »

My speaker was HUD Secretary Moon Landrieu. I do remember seeing Tom Brokaw coming to Tulane.

Regarding graduation, Copper Anderson is a national name with very little negatives or controversy. TU is wise to keep our exposure in the media and entertainment industry, especially with the mindset of Americans.

Again, this is a very wise move for TU.
TULANE University of Louisiana

OliveGreenandBlue! We love thee!

1932-ROSE Wave 1935-SUGAR Wave
1940-SUGAR Wave 2
1970-Year of the Green 1973-Bluebonnet Wave 1979-Experience Wave Craze
1998-PERFECT Wave
2013-Bowl Wave
2023-COTTON Wave
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

After Ellen, now Cooper....why are we inviting people who "play for the other team?" Trying to stay politically correct here.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Cheerleader wrote:After Ellen, now Cooper....why are we inviting people who "play for the other team?" Trying to stay politically correct here.
And why wouldn't we?...staying politically correct also. :roll:
WaveON
President's Circle

Post by WaveON »

Pelican Power wrote:
Copper Anderson is a national name with very little negatives or controversy. TU is wise to keep our exposure in the media and entertainment industry, especially with the mindset of Americans.

Again, this is a very wise move for TU.
I, too, would welcome Copper Anderson (whoever that is) as speaker. :D
But, seriously, I doubt that 10% of Americans, if put to the test, could identify Anderson Cooper's profession or employer, so that puts to rest his "National name."

Tulane University (as I remember it) IS a National University, which should strive for the "best." Mr. Anderson may well be a fine fellow (without controversy, he is not), but he does not meet the standard I would set for a Graduation Speaker at Tulane. If he were to speak at Delgado, for example, I'd think him a fine choice. We should be better than that!
"God Bless America"
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

Post by TPSTulane »

I guess Brad Pitt was unavailable. Lol
Tulane School of Business Class of 1981
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
Conference Realignment "is like changing seats on the Titanic."
SineWave
Breaker Level

Post by SineWave »

TUPF wrote:
doncecco wrote:What ever happened to inviting prominent alums or individuals who actually achieved something meaningful in life - like Tiger Woods. :roll:

Not trying to stir the pot here, because some obviously have strong opinions on the subject. However, in my case, I got my Tulane undergrad degree in May 1978 and have absolutely no, zero, nada, recollection of who the speaker was. And no, I was perfectly sober. To be a contrarian here, at least if it the speaker was a known person, maybe I would have remembered him (or her...probably not a her in 1978.) The only speakers I remember in my Tulane days was President Ford in Fogleman in 1975 saying we were done in Vietnam; King Hussein of Jordan (with Secret Service everywhere); and Rod Serling and Dustin Hoffman in McAlister after movies. At least I remember those guys.
TUPF,

Off Topic: Serling, what an interesting man, check out his bio. Terrific writer and not just for the Twilight Zone, teleplay for Requiem for a Heavyweight to name one. His openings and closing for the Zone were sooo well written, even for the silly ones.

His Best IMO – the dialogue in the Zone episode in which the ex-SS officer returns to Dachau. It was very sad and disturbing but so worth watching. In less than a half hour he captured so much and stated it so eloquently. Terrific job of writing. His best.

Didn’t see him at Tualne, wish I did. What made him so interesting to me was how much he said with which I agreed and yet how much with which I disagreed.

Hope I referring to the same Rod Serling??
Big EZ Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by Big EZ Wave »

Okay, let me guess. The speaker is from either

1) The media/entertainment elite,

2) the government/political ruling class,

or

3) Academia ?

I'd rather have Bob Toledo as the speaker. At least he has some great one liners.
The Tulane University of Louisiana
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

SineWave wrote: Serling, what an interesting man...Hope I am referring to the same Rod Serling??
Absolutely. Last week, the SCI FI channel, I believe, had its annual all day marathon of Twilight Zones which generally hold up pretty well. If I remember correctly, someone said that Rod Serling's appearance at Tulane (thinking around spring 1975) was his final public appearance before he died a few months later. He was an unannounced guest, who was on stage at McAlister as the lights came on after some movie that I cannot remember. At your suggestion, I read his bio and he was a decorated/wounded WWII paratrooper. If I recall, there were a few Twilight Zone episodes that had twists on war themes. I recall one in particular from his movie, Night Gallery, about a Nazi in post war South America trying to escape capture by jumping into an art gallery painting. Great stuff.
SineWave
Breaker Level

Post by SineWave »

TUPF wrote:
SineWave wrote: Serling, what an interesting man...Hope I am referring to the same Rod Serling??
............... I recall one in particular from his movie, Night Gallery, about a Nazi in post war South America trying to escape capture by jumping into an art gallery painting. Great stuff.
What an episode!! He found that by concentrating in front of a serene boat on a gentle lake painting that he would be physically transported into the boat and would then return to the museum after a while. While be hounded one night, he ran into the museum and in the dark stood where the painting usually was. It had been moved; he didn’t know. He wished himself into a picture of an agonizing crucifixion! Many themes of comeuppance.

In that genre, One Step Beyond was very good.
Peter Berg
Navigator Level

Post by Peter Berg »

"Copper Anderson is a national name"

In which nation? The amusing typo aside this could be Anderson Cooper's biggest audience of the year. I doubt his own mother tunes in given his ratings. He has lost 70% of his adult audience in the last year http://www.businessinsider.com/anderson ... gs-2009-12 and is the very definition of the lamestream media. If crude, hateful, dogmatic and dismissive were virtues they'd be building a basilica with his name on it.

Hopefully he got his teabagging comments out of his system last April so that those of us there celebrating the with our sons and daughters won't have to walk out. For my money he is a terrible choice and a total nonentity to boot.
bigmoneytx

Post by bigmoneytx »

It is official:
Anderson Cooper to Deliver 2010
Commencement Address
http://tulane.edu/news/newwave/011110_cooper.cfm
niner81
Coach Level

Post by niner81 »

I don't see what the big fuss is all about...our commencement speaker in 2004 was Senator Breaux (with a guest appearance from Ellen). I can't tell you much about what was said or the stories told, but I'm sure it was just like any other commencement address -- we're proud of you, you'll shape the world next, and go get em type stuff.
WaveON
President's Circle

Post by WaveON »

niner81 wrote:I don't see what the big fuss is all about...our commencement speaker in 2004 was Senator Breaux (with a guest appearance from Ellen). I can't tell you much about what was said or the stories told, but I'm sure it was just like any other commencement address -- we're proud of you, you'll shape the world next, and go get em type stuff.
Agree with not remembering what is said, but... Comparing a guy who represented Louisiana (somewhat bipartisanly) in the Congress and Senate of the U.S. for over 30 years to a news guy who's program has ratings below something like 30 other channels during his timeslot and roughly 1/3rd of that of his direct cable news competitor, Greta Van Susteren (oops--correct spelling on edit)?

Gimme a break. He may give a great speach, but so might a guy you meet on a bus. He has NO standing to make him worthy as the Graduation speaker at Tulane University. People talk all the time about accepting low standards in athletics. Well, this is the same thing in my view. And that's my last word on the subject.
Last edited by WaveON on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"God Bless America"
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

WaveON wrote:
niner81 wrote:I don't see what the big fuss is all about...our commencement speaker in 2004 was Senator Breaux (with a guest appearance from Ellen). I can't tell you much about what was said or the stories told, but I'm sure it was just like any other commencement address -- we're proud of you, you'll shape the world next, and go get em type stuff.
Agree with not remembering what is said, but... Comparing a guy who represented Louisiana (somewhat bipartisanly) in the Congress and Senate of the U.S. for over 30 years to a news guy who's program has ratings below something like 30 other channels during his timeslot and roughly 1/3rd of that of his direct cable news competitor, Greta Van Sustrand?

Gimme a break. He may give a great speach, but so might a guy you meet on a bus. He has NO standing to make him worthy as the Graduation speaker at Tulane University. People talk all the time about accepting low standards in athletics. Well, this is the same thing in my view. And that's my last word on the subject.
WaveOn, great to see you posting again...I just knew you were out there lurking. And you know I agree totally with your post. Why don't we have "diversity" and have Greta or better yet, Megan Kelly, do a commencement speech? Oh, I get it, diversity only goes one way.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Yeah, but who's his daddy? ... I mean mommy? Maybe Tulane will get a donation!