I understand there can be strong and deep emotions

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
JtS
Regent's Circle

I understand there can be strong and deep emotions

Post by JtS »

with every post on YOGW forum. Please keep political and religious perspectives reserved for other forums on the Internet where those topics are more appropriately expressed.
Thanks...
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: I understand there can be strong and deep emotions

Post by TUPF »

It's gotten to a point that there can be few opinions on anything that does not draw mortar rounds from someone. And its not just this fine message board. In a microcosm, I was head of our condo board recently and I can tell you...no matter how well intentioned any actions are, there is a 10% that will fight you tooth and nail over ANYTHING. And there are always another 10% that do not give a damn about anyone but themselves.

So fight the good fight, JtS, but understand that there is ALWAYS someone that will leave a Baby Ruth bar in the punchbowl :wink:. I guess the best we can hope for is to disagree without being disagreeable, but that too seems too high a bar for many.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

TUPF wrote:...understand that there is ALWAYS someone that will leave a Baby Ruth bar in the punchbowl ...
That never bothered me--I'm usually drinking from the bottle. But in the swimming pool, now THAT's a different thing altogether. :wink:
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

It's funny, I thought I was writing the note to the new Non-Tulane News Discussion forum and posted my trepidation concerning starting the separate forum. Sure enough it was on a Tulane academic forum. It's great getting older!
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

I hear you, JtS, but as a former TU grad, athlete, cheerleader, T-Club member, alumni board member, season ticket holder, TAF contributor and participant in alumni efforts around the country, I just can't help myself from commenting on things that affect the entire university. The continued efforts to demonize those of us who want all viewpoints recognized is wearing me down. The way the university is perceived as a whole also affects its athletic teams. Many parents don't want their kids to go to another left wing, tree hugging, kum bah yah school, but to a place where sports are important to building school spirit and loyalty. If the Administration receives NO feedback from its actions, like inviting Anderson Cooper as its commencement speaker, then they think all is wonderful and they keep kissing up to the Carvilles and Degenerates of the world. I'm sorry, I have to speak out at times and you can just delete me if I get too carried away. There may be other boards, but I like this one and have for 6 years.
bigmoneytx

Post by bigmoneytx »

#2 wrote:
I personally think TU will get some good publicity from having Cooper. Is he a great choice? No, but they could have done worse.
I think that is the point and really the ONLY POINT - sad or not but I know several students and recent grads that just feel that the "speaker" thing has become a bit to much of a gimmic. They know that it is done at many schools and it is popular to see just how popular you can get.

Either way - our Board and President know how to get media attention for Tulane and it has worked (no stats to prove it)
But i am sure parents/teens seeing Tulane on CNN with popular or controversial public figures is what the goal has been. Its all about being seen, getting out there - the PUB!
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

Cheerleader wrote:I hear you, JtS, but as a former TU grad, athlete, cheerleader, T-Club member, alumni board member, season ticket holder, TAF contributor and participant in alumni efforts around the country, I just can't help myself from commenting on things that affect the entire university. The continued efforts to demonize those of us who want all viewpoints recognized is wearing me down. The way the university is perceived as a whole also affects its athletic teams. Many parents don't want their kids to go to another left wing, tree hugging, kum bah yah school, but to a place where sports are important to building school spirit and loyalty. If the Administration receives NO feedback from its actions, like inviting Anderson Cooper as its commencement speaker, then they think all is wonderful and they keep kissing up to the Carvilles and Degenerates of the world. I'm sorry, I have to speak out at times and you can just delete me if I get too carried away. There may be other boards, but I like this one and have for 6 years.

Cheerleader, I very much hear what you are saying. As a believer in “keeping your friends close and your enemies closer,” there has to balance in all aspects of the University. However the etiquette, behavior and capacity for intelligent, educated discussion/debate on an Internet forum is implausible. Even a forum of dignified participants composed of Tulane supporters, fans and alumni.

A major component of the “lack of good behavior” problem is the Internet itself. Communication based on semi to completely-anonymous authorship coupled with the mistaken belief the First Amendment protects Free speech everywhere. These attributes allow Internet forums to have a lawless feel both in practice and theory.

While one of the forum’s main purpose is communication the lack of emotion and body language hurts one of the primary purposes. Misinterpreted meanings are a huge issue. But the real problem is a lack of accountability. With YOWF, we have attempted to keep the subject simple (Tulane athletics), positive (with realistic expectations) and with simple rules holding folks accountable for an occasional mistake whether intentional or calculated. Unfortunately when posts evolve into emotionally polarizing subject matter, the worst rather than the best of Internet behavior arrises.

That said, I would love to discuss or debate any subject. Quite a few members of YOGWF participated in an LSU political forum years ago, Tiger Alley(?) If one could ignore 75% of the usual drive-by, moronic comments there was intelligent debate on a variety of subjects. But in the end, it became much too polarizing. I hope you can respect my decision. Because I respect truly respect your thoughts…

I’ve sent you a PM…
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Many parents don't want their kids to go to another left wing, tree hugging, kum bah yah school, but to a place where sports are important to building school spirit and loyalty.

Wow.....just wow :roll: Because liberalism and sports can't mix and conservatives have the sports market cornered.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

#2 wrote:...I would rather Tulane be another "left wing, tree hugging, kum bah yah school" than a place where narrow-mindedness and bigotry rule...
Some folks think that "left wing, tree hugging, kum bah yah" is just another form of "narrow-mindedness and bigotry."
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

(For the whole thread)

Come on guys...

There used to be a time in the not so distant past where black athletes were not seen as equals to white athletes. When we delve into stereotypes and generalities no matter what the subject, we lose credibility and create ignorance.

I am not asking for a group hug or Kumbaya moment however as mentioned above and in the rules, these are emotional and passionate issues for discussion on a SPORTS forum. We have enough problems gaining even a small consensus on the large and poignant goal of a subject we all AGREE, the consistent winning of Tulane Athletics. Let's not go down "the road mostly traveled" concerning the potentially toxic issues.

Thanks...
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

I have no problem with not discussing politics or other inflammatory issues on this forum. And I will do my best to refrain. However, I will not hesitate to correct someone if they try to deny my right to disagree with them. I want to talk sports, but you have to admit that in our current situation, the "consistent winning of Tulane Athletics" is closely tied to our Administration's policies. When the Administration takes actions that hurt that goal, I will speak out. When they don't do what they should do, I will offer proposals and suggestions, as I have several times in the past. This is not politics, this is working toward the same goal we all want. We can disagree without being disagreeable. If you don't like my suggestions, tell me what is wrong with them and offer some of your own. I'm talking to the whole board, JtS, not you.
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

Cheerleader wrote:I have no problem with not discussing politics or other inflammatory issues on this forum. And I will do my best to refrain. However, I will not hesitate to correct someone if they try to deny my right to disagree with them. I want to talk sports, but you have to admit that in our current situation, the "consistent winning of Tulane Athletics" is closely tied to our Administration's policies. When the Administration takes actions that hurt that goal, I will speak out. When they don't do what they should do, I will offer proposals and suggestions, as I have several times in the past. This is not politics, this is working toward the same goal we all want. We can disagree without being disagreeable. If you don't like my suggestions, tell me what is wrong with them and offer some of your own. I'm talking to the whole board, JtS, not you.
We are in very close agreement about offering solutions, discussion and acting like adults when we disagree. Your experience and current solutions concerning improving the Tulane situation are undeniably beneficial. I hope and have asked more posters to offer solutions rather than just .....well you know. As for the Administration's policies and actions, if "anything" is hurting our athletic success we should discuss it and do something about it. I'm 100% for an honest and intellectual debate concerning what must occur for improvement to our current situation. The main problem I see with any debate on YOGWF is whether one is “totally against everything currently in place” or “thinks that the situation can be fixed with the current leadership" SOLUTIONS must be presented.

As you and a small percentage on the forum have expressed "we must change things and here are the solutions" rather than "this and this and that are bad and wrong and terrible and need fixing". And that is the extent of any contribution besides the repetition of alleged historical mistakes. Pointing out ONLY what one believes is bad/wrong and what was done bad/wrong is not a solution. Moreover this has been the prevailing tone/attitude of any Tulane discussion since the BYU game. Every single thing Tulane does cannot be bad/wrong...

I am off my soapbox for now. The “positive and potential” needs to be examined as well as how we are going to get to where we desire to be. Good things are coming soon...

But I do appreciate your contributions. Few if any have your experience...

Roll Wave!
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

This is not politics,
Ummm.....yeah it is when you use phrases like "left wing, tree hugging, kum bah yah school" :roll:
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

Don't make me get out the red card!
Peter Berg
Navigator Level

Post by Peter Berg »

If a schools political culture or administration seem to be too far in one direction or the other, either left or right that tilt almost necessarily becomes self-reenforcing these days. As power and money and decisions have become increasingly centralized in Washington the political stakes for winners and losers have increased accordingly and so politics has invaded nearly every sphere of our culture.

On a microcosm the same thing has happened within the university as more and more decision making and power over the purse strings has become concentrated within Gibson Hall and devolved away from the individual schools, faculty, and departments including the athletic department the stakes involved in who occupies the top spot has increased.

Regardless of what you might think of the current occupants of either Gibson Hall or Washington the trend towards centralization of power and authority is probably not good for the institutions involved. In the case of Tulane I suspect it has driven a lot of potential donors away. Of course an argument could be made that it attracts money that would go elsewhere. It is difficult to prove which position is correct but for my money I'd bet that a school admin that was not as blatantly partisan in its own political leanings and more collegeal in its governance would be better for Tulane in the long run.

PS - you can accuse me of anything except anonymous posting
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

I can accuse you of excellent intellectual, dignified discussion/debate upon occasion? :wink:

Pete,

How do you explain Tulane's record setting fund-raising during the Cowen years under a more conservative administration? Or the tremendous upturn in athletic fundraising during the same period. The University of Miami raised $1.4 billion from 2003-2008 under Donna Shalala. Maybe these are the exceptions rather than the rule? A University's leadership or alleged "leanings" and whoever is in political power at the time appear more capricious than simple generalities.